We WISH You A Disney Happy Holidays – December Challenge

At the party that I went to over the weekend I brought homemade macaroni salad. Since I don't know how to make a small batch (I don't measure anything) I brought the left overs to work so i son't eat it all. I am hoping they eat it. Sometimes i bring the veggie tray with homemade spinach dip and french onion dip.

+++++++

This weekend was really busy. I went out to eat every day. Friday after I picked the kids up from the school dance I took them to a few stores to pick odds and end stuff that we have been needing to get. Since we were by the mall we stopped their for dinner. I ate at Panera. I had a turkey sandwich. I logged everything and still had a deficit of about 300 calories.

Saturday we ran around with my husband's grandmother so she can get all of her stuff done. She has a fractured shoulder right now so she can drive or do some stuff around the house so we have been helping her as much as we can. She took us out to lunch for helping her. We went to our favorite restaurant and I ate really good. I had a salad with grilled chicken. I knew that at the party I was going to that night that I wanted to save calories. At the party I did have 1 Reese Cup, a very small piece of cake and 1 sugar cookie. I also ate a lot of the veggies. I forgot to track my food though so I don't know where I ended up. But I feel I did a good job not going over board and making some good choices.

Sunday I went grocery shopping with my husband and then Christmas shopping with my mom. I have the extra duty of shopping from DH's grandmother so i was getting super stressed about all of it. So I got everything I could yesterday. I still need to get some toys for the kids and a few more things for DH's grandmother. But all of the clothes shopping part it done. After shopping my mom took me to dinner. I was so hungry at that point that I ate what sounded really good. Chicken fingers. I didn't even think about them being fried until after I ordered them. I did get asparagus with them.

Today I am up a pound from Friday but I think I will drop that quickly this week. I think I just need to get back on schedule. Today is typically not a work out day for me since my daughter has her riding lessen but i might be able to squeeze one in after. I am really going to try since I can go Wednesday. DD is finally able to pick up her hamster that my mom is getting her for her for Christmas. It is a baby and will just be 6 weeks old when we get him. The rest of the week should go as planned.

Back to reality after a lovely time getting in the Christmas spirit in Orlando! Now to catch up with you guys!

"A patient’s best weight is therefore whatever weight they achieve while living the healthiest lifestyle they can truly enjoy.
For sustainable weight management, a patient should be consuming the smallest number of calories that still allows them to enjoy each day. Some days will simply warrant more calories, such as birthdays, anniversaries, religious holidays, and days when injuries, illness or fights with loved ones occur. Simply put, ice-cream and cookies and their cultural and ethnic equivalents are vital parts of a rich life experience." Dr Yoni Freedhoff

I keep quoting this, for myself a lot more than for anyone else but I find it so helpful so my accountability questions this month

I love this every time you quote it. It helps me remember the end goal may not look exactly like I want it to on the scale, but I want the end goal to look like something I can enjoy :)

Let's all take this opportunity to share our intros, goals and what December means to you - do you celebrate any of the religious celebrations this month?

My family celebrates Christmas, but my cousin celebrates Hanukkah too so we join in on two of the eight nights.

I have a few obstacles this month -- a few parties, dinners, then the main holidays, but I am prepared to be realistic with what I can do this month.

If I maintain or only gain 1lb or less, I will call this month a success. Here's how I plan to keep myself on track:

- Go to 4 WW meetings
- Go to 15 classes at the gym
- Track 20/31 days this month

The 11 days that I won't be tracking are the 3 days I was just in Orlando, and various parties and dinner parties throughout the month. I don't plan on going off the rails-- I will be mindful of what I'm eating and drinking, but not track every bite.

Also, WW is changing this weeks, so I am interested to see how these changes affect my progress this month.

QsOTD: Please bring a dish to share (either describe or post a pic) - are you going to bring your favourite treat (and not worry about the calories) or are you going to bring a healthier option?

What is your favourite party drink?

I am the baker of the family and my group of friends. It's basically expected that I will bring yummy desserts to potluck get togethers. I have a few I bring in rotation-- key lime pie, red velvet pound cake, pound cake, Lane cake, rum balls, and sugar cookies that I can't keep in the house else I eat them ALL! Haha! I will be making some this year, and I will be enjoying them, but I plan to enjoy them after a meal of mostly veggies. My favorite drink is usually a gin and tonic, but I am trading out the tonic for lime flavored sparkling water to keep the calories down. Cheers!

not only is Christmas happening, but I am also getting married at the end of the month.

:hyper: Congratulations!!!!!!

So I'm sitting here at the drs with DD and I realised I totally forgot to post a new question last night!! Sorry bout that - I will take care of it tonight. But I am glad to see some chatter is happening anyway.

Magdalene! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. :cloud9:

I love to bake so I usually bring something yummy and full of calories to the party! I also bring winter baked brie to a lot of parties. It's brie with apples/pears/dates soaked in apple juice and put in the middle then baked. Mmmmm Last night I came up with a new idea. We have an artichoke/chicken/cheese dish that we usually put in puff pastry. Since it's just DH and I now I had some filling left over. Tonight I bought some baby filo tarts. I'm going to see how that would work to bake them in those. I'm a water girl, so I usually just drink water at parties--if I'm feeling especially frisky I'll have a 7-Up! :rotfl2:

Tonight I had a peanut buster parfait from DQ. I've been wanting one forever and I finally had enough calories that I could do it and not go over! It was sooo good. I savored every single bite.

Tomorrow is Disney Dress Up Day at school. I'm wearing an Animal Kingdom T-shirt. It's Pooh with a magnifying glass looking at a real tiger and asking, "Tigger, is that you?" I love it.

Thanks for all the congratulations!!

Today is going to be a bit of a difficult day as we have the office Christmas party tonight. Food had to be pre-ordered and options were all horrible. So, I decided to order something that I know that I will love despite it being not the healthy option. But I did not order dessert and I have the best intention of listening to my hunger and stop eating when I am full even if there is something on the plate. I am going to have one glass of prosecco and otherwise I am going to stick with water. Now I just need to make sure to have a healthy lunch and hopefully that will be enough damage control!

:banana:
Hey friends sorry I'm late! I realized this morning that I had stopped getting notifications about the November thread so I completely missed the switch to December!

You are here now, glad to have you along for the month :-)

So for this month I'm not tracking anything. Instead, I'm being mindful of portion size and paying attention to how balanced my meals/snacks are on a daily basis. I'm not really sure how to translate that into a tangible goal, so I'll focus on my other two goals: drink 48 oz water per day, and exercise at least 4 times per week.

We'll see how it goes! I'll be watching the scale but not paying as much attention to it as I have in the last few months. I'm looking for more non-scale victories now and trying to get fully into 'maintain' mode.

I hope you are successful with generalising what you have learnt with WW to everyday life - after all that is the ultimate goal :-)

I am Magdalene, 46, from Germany. December this year is going to be a big month for me, not only is Christmas happening, but I am also getting married at the end of the month. So, the motivation to stay on track with healthy eating is very high! But the stress level is also very high and and I am a stress eater. I need to make sure that December counts and hopefully I can see a little bit of weight loss during the month. I am not setting any goals as I have struggled with losing anything over the last months despite exercise and eating healthy. My doctor actually sent me to an endocrinologist to get me checked out because of my lack of weight loss. But that appointment won't be until the middle of January.

Good luck with your doctors appointment in January. Hang in there this month and be kind to yourself - you have a lot happening :hug:

Disney.png

Congratulations

One Christmas event I am hosting every year is an evening where I make aebleskiver, a Danish speciality of ball-like pancakes. You need a specific pan for them and they are eaten with powdered sugar and jam. I always have a number of friends around for this and it is always fun!

This sounds YUMMY!

OK I won't post 101 pictures, but you get the idea. Although it's a summer dish the red/green/white colors make it perfect for the holidays as well.

Looks yummy.

You wouldn't know it by the lack of progress towards my goals, but I actually had a good productive weekend. I didn't get everything done, but I got it all started.

Getting started is half the battle sometimes - well done :D

Last week I did my annual wellness check for work and everything came back looking good, except for my weight of course. Even my blood pressure was under the new standard so that was great, and quite a relief.

That is good new about your general health.

I was so hungry at that point that I ate what sounded really good. Chicken fingers. I didn't even think about them being fried until after I ordered them. I did get asparagus with them

We have all been there - but it does sound like you made good choices for most of the weekend :banana:

If I maintain or only gain 1lb or less, I will call this month a success. Here's how I plan to keep myself on track:

- Go to 4 WW meetings
- Go to 15 classes at the gym
- Track 20/31 days this month

I think it is good to have realistic expectations about December - that help us balance the healthy with enjoying our time with family and friends.

I am the baker of the family and my group of friends. It's basically expected that I will bring yummy desserts to potluck get togethers. I have a few I bring in rotation-- key lime pie, red velvet pound cake, pound cake, Lane cake, rum balls, and sugar cookies that I can't keep in the house else I eat them ALL! Haha! I will be making some this year, and I will be enjoying them, but I plan to enjoy them after a meal of mostly veggies. My favorite drink is usually a gin and tonic, but I am trading out the tonic for lime flavored sparkling water to keep the calories down. Cheers!

They sound delicious.

Tomorrow is Disney Dress Up Day at school. I'm wearing an Animal Kingdom T-shirt. It's Pooh with a magnifying glass looking at a real tiger and asking, "Tigger, is that you?" I love it.

Disney Dress Up Day ???/ That is amazing!

Finally... I get to post a QOTD lol the nightly downtime of the DIS interrupted my attempt earlier this evening!

We need a plan in order to achieve a goal. This month tends to get busier the further into it we get.

QOTD: What is your plan to balance out the Holiday treats and less time for workouts when we get to the really busy part of the month?

i posted this before and I think it got good few likes. Her new book is 1.33 usd on amazon for day (not sure how long) but I felt it's good deal. She is very sound, and well regarded but I have never used her training programs. i bought the book, but have not read it yet and I am not in any way linked to her, but felt it's good deal and from reading her blog I expect good book

"
Choose consistency, not perfection.
Choose strength and performance, not exhaustion.
Choose simplicity, sustainability, and sanity, not ********.
Choose to focus on the things you can do, not those you can't.
Choose to embrace the uncomfortable truths, don't fight them.
Choose decisive action, not relentless planning.
Choose to take control, don’t fall prey to your circumstances.
Choose to shut up and do something, don’t complain.
Choose for health and fitness to be a part of your life, not something that dominates it.
Choose self-compassion as a response to your slip-ups, not condemnation.
Choose flexibility, not obsession.
Choose to adapt to the circumstances, don’t give up entirely.
Choose to do what has to be done, don't get distracted with everything that can be done.
Choose to become the best version of yourself everyday; don’t compare yourself to anyone else.
Choose the goals, values, and metrics that matter to you, not what society and marketing tactics have deemed to be worthy.
Choose empowerment, not punishment.
Choose consistent, small improvements; don’t lust at the idea of overnight success.
Choose to make the process its own reward, don't rely on the destination to provide happiness.
Choose to actually apply the above information; don’t merely “Like” it, get motivated for a fleeting moment, and then forget about it.
You’re continuously making choices. Actively choose. Be pragmatic, not passive.
I needed a few reminders the other day, so I thought you might appreciate it too.
Stay strong,
Nia"

Finally... I get to post a QOTD lol the nightly downtime of the DIS interrupted my attempt earlier this evening!

We need a plan in order to achieve a goal. This month tends to get busier the further into it we get.

QOTD: What is your plan to balance out the Holiday treats and less time for workouts when we get to the really busy part of the month?

Good question!

For me is consistancy of my minimums. 10 k steps a day, even on christmas day. My average day step count is 14800 for 2016 and 2017. My minimum is way below that but it's set up to get me out of the house when I don't feel doing anything! If I set it up too hight, I wont do it.

I will count calories all my meals
I will eat at least 1/3rd of my plate as veggies and fruits all my meals

The rest, it's holiday - I will indulge a little.

My goal is to to eat as healthy as can on the days that I can. I will have more time as the month goes on to work since I will be off of work. Well that is usually the case but we will see how things go with my son. My goal is to get my work out in on as many days as I can.

++++++++

Yesterday ended up being rough. I ate ok but I ended up really tired. Like barely able to stay awake at 4pm tired. We have had a bug going around the house. It started with my son. He has a cough and on Saturday we were barely able to keep him awake. Sunday my husband had sinus issues and barley able to stay awake and I guess yesterday was my turn. I also had a really bad sinus headache. I will take this bug over anything else. So yesterday I came home and took a nap before taking my daughter to her riding class and then took a nap after eating a big salad for dinner.

Today is not going good so far. DD woke up complaining about her ankle. She did nothing to hurt so i don't know what is going on. This has been the trend this year. I am at the point I don't know what to do. I can't tell if she is faking to get out of school or if it really hurts. I am trying to talk to DH about what I should do and he won't answer me. it has been through text. He is in the office today so i know he is really busy but I really need him to answer me. I have been one ball of emotions this morning so that is not helping anything. I am really hoping today gets better.

On the up side I am down .4 pounds so far this week. I am almost back to my Friday weight. I gained a pound over the weekend.

QOTD:

Planning is always my downfall, as in I rarely do it and soon forget it if I do. I think my monthly goals are about as close to an actual plan as I'm going to get, and I think the goals will serve me well in maintaining balance and healthfulness thru the holiday season.

Daily accountability:
What did I do to move towards losing 5 pounds... about a month ago I realized the beverage vending machine was set to dispense for free (somehow I had missed the memo) and since then I've developed a habit of drinking one, sometimes two, green iced teas a day, but yesterday I switched back to water.
Walk outdoors... I did spend time out doors last night putting up a few more Christmas lights and it was really enjoyable. Granted it was just walking up and down the driveway, but it was outside.
Daily gratitude... wasn't a focus for me yesterday, so I need to work on this.
Spread peace... last night I started knitting the shawl that's part of the 2017 Peace Project I'm participating in, but I didn't do it in a peaceful manner, as I had the TV turned on to Holiday Baking Championship. I got about 8 inches knit and then realized I had made a mistake, and had to rip back everything. And while doing so realized I had actually made two errors. Lesson learned... to be truly at peace while working on it, the TV has to be turned off. This is the shawl - fortunately you start at the skinny end, so I wasn't frogging back the lace.

Today's peaceful quote:

Last edited:
Forgot the name of the book - lift like a girl by Nia Shanks

i posted this before and I think it got good few likes. Her new book is 1.33 usd on amazon for day (not sure how long) but I felt it's good deal. She is very sound, and well regarded but I have never used her training programs. i bought the book, but have not read it yet and I am not in any way linked to her, but felt it's good deal and from reading her blog I expect good book

"
Choose consistency, not perfection.
Choose strength and performance, not exhaustion.
Choose simplicity, sustainability, and sanity, not ********.
Choose to focus on the things you can do, not those you can't.
Choose to embrace the uncomfortable truths, don't fight them.
Choose decisive action, not relentless planning.
Choose to take control, don’t fall prey to your circumstances.
Choose to shut up and do something, don’t complain.
Choose for health and fitness to be a part of your life, not something that dominates it.
Choose self-compassion as a response to your slip-ups, not condemnation.
Choose flexibility, not obsession.
Choose to adapt to the circumstances, don’t give up entirely.
Choose to do what has to be done, don't get distracted with everything that can be done.
Choose to become the best version of yourself everyday; don’t compare yourself to anyone else.
Choose the goals, values, and metrics that matter to you, not what society and marketing tactics have deemed to be worthy.
Choose empowerment, not punishment.
Choose consistent, small improvements; don’t lust at the idea of overnight success.
Choose to make the process its own reward, don't rely on the destination to provide happiness.
Choose to actually apply the above information; don’t merely “Like” it, get motivated for a fleeting moment, and then forget about it.
You’re continuously making choices. Actively choose. Be pragmatic, not passive.
I needed a few reminders the other day, so I thought you might appreciate it too.
Stay strong,
Nia"

Hello all. I had to drop out again Nov in order to focus enough on my schoolwork. This last quarter of school combined with the shortest days of the year is turning out to be brutal. But so far I'm still passing my classes though not exactly with the grades I want. I'm super glad at least one class is still an A, perhaps two or three if I'm lucky. And I'm also thrilled that I passed both of my recent evaluations.

I did make my November goal.

For December, (hoping to get to check in some even with the next 2 1/2 super brutal weeks that I'm expecting immediately ahead of me) I plan to lose 10 more pounds this month.

Unfortunately the scale said that I'm way up this morning. But my goal will be counting from my most recent low weight, of 171. I had a vodka last night which is incredibly rare for me. But it knocked out my headache and today I'm pain free for the first time in ages. The scale this morning said 187. That sort of wild upward fluctuation is typical for me. It's one of the many real reasons I end up happier on a strict diet and abstaining from cheat days and the like. Lord willing, this one will simply melt away again quickly...

Back to ultra-low carb mixed with intermittent fasting I go. High Ho High Ho!

I can't believe 5 days of December are already gone.

1) Did I eat smallest number of calories that still allows me to enjoy my day?
Yes, perhaps dinner was little big. Had a glass of prosecco too, but still remained in healthy balance

2) No snacking after dinner apart from 1 piece of fruit.
Yes, I was very tempted to snack more but didnt'

3) Minimum of 10 000 steps a day, and my minimal 4 workouts weekly * 20 minutes each?
Yes

4)What did I do great today (or yesterday if reviewing in the morning)
Good day, love the Nia shanks book!

5)What can I do better tomorrow
Today - not much really, I end up at 1863cal yesterday, will try 1800 today and see how i goes

The scale this morning said 187. That sort of wild upward fluctuation is typical for me. It's one of the many real reasons I end up happier on a strict diet and abstaining from cheat days and the like.

I am in the same boat as you with those fluctuations and I hate them! I do agree with you that it is easier to deal with them when you know that you are doing your best all the time. I am always scared of cheat days and what they will bring in numbers on the scale!

Good morning everyone! Here in Germany it is Saint Nicolas Day and that means chocolate! He comes during the night from the 5th to the 6th and brings chocolate, oranges and nuts to the kids who were good (sounds familiar to Americans, doesn't it? Your version is just called Santa Claus and comes on the 25th...). I already got a tiny chocolate from a colleague and hope to get through the day without eating too much chocolate. We will see... Tonight I am going out to an Italian place with my father for dinner, but before that we go to taste the wines for the wedding reception. So, difficult day, but I am motivated to make the best out of it!

Today is not going good so far. DD woke up complaining about her ankle. She did nothing to hurt so i don't know what is going on. This has been the trend this year. I am at the point I don't know what to do. I can't tell if she is faking to get out of school or if it really hurts. I am trying to talk to DH about what I should do and he won't answer me. it has been through text. He is in the office today so i know he is really busy but I really need him to answer me. I have been one ball of emotions this morning so that is not helping anything. I am really hoping today gets better.

I hope your day improved - that is tricky with your daughter's ankle - as she has had a previous injury I wonder does the weather affect it?

This is the shawl - fortunately you start at the skinny end, so I wasn't frogging back the lace.

That shawl looks lovely - I hope you find peacefulness the next time you are knitting.

Hello all. I had to drop out again Nov in order to focus enough on my schoolwork. This last quarter of school combined with the shortest days of the year is turning out to be brutal. But so far I'm still passing my classes though not exactly with the grades I want. I'm super glad at least one class is still an A, perhaps two or three if I'm lucky. And I'm also thrilled that I passed both of my recent evaluations.

I did make my November goal.

That's k - your study is important. Great work on achieving your November goal :banana:

I can't believe 5 days of December are already gone.

I know! This whole year has gone so fast.

Good morning everyone! Here in Germany it is Saint Nicolas Day and that means chocolate! He comes during the night from the 5th to the 6th and brings chocolate, oranges and nuts to the kids who were good (sounds familiar to Americans, doesn't it? Your version is just called Santa Claus and comes on the 25th...). I already got a tiny chocolate from a colleague and hope to get through the day without eating too much chocolate. We will see... Tonight I am going out to an Italian place with my father for dinner, but before that we go to taste the wines for the wedding reception. So, difficult day, but I am motivated to make the best out of it!

Oooh Happy Saint Nicolas Day - good luck with that chocolate - stay strong but enjoy that wine tasting :drinking1

That's right everyone ... It is WooHoo Wednesday!!
Share your woohoos for us to celebrate with you whether they big, small, health or general moments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter