Weather in December?

Sandy Feet

Mouseketeer
Suddenly realised I have no idea what type of weather to expect!
I will certainly be checking the weather channel closer to our trip, but am interested to hear from you all on what weather you had and what you packed.

We've only gone the first week end December so that is what I can tell you about.

We're coming from Boston so we already had our winter coats just in case...

We went in 2000 and 2001.

In 2000 it was pretty cold all week especially at night. Down in the 40's. We used our winter coats and even small fleece blankets I brought for my DD's.

In 2001 it was beautiful all week. Cool in the morning sometimes but warm during the day. We never needed our winter coats.

What I do is check the weather right up until I leave to see if I need to pack blankets and if we'll need our winter coats.

Good luck!

Yikes, we don't have any warm clothes, we live in a hot climate! The most we have is a sweatshirt and a raincoat. On the bright side at least we won't get too hot while waiting in line :)
how did you do the wet rides? You must've been frozen!

We went the first week in December this past year and it was beautiful. We had warm days where shorts were necessary and only 1 day where we wore long sleeves....and it was just a little bit of drizzle all day long. The evenings were comfortable with jeans and a light jacket...

We've gone three times in the beginning of December - the week AFTER Thanksgiving.

In 2000, it was rather cold. Not freezing, but definitely longsleeves with sweatshirts on top! No swimming for us - it was too cold (there were some kids swimming in the pools!)

In 2001, it was really nice - jeans and short sleeve shirts - sometimes a light jacket at night.

In 2002, it was cold and rainy! Again, longsleeve with a sweatshirt. I did bring a blanket that we kept in the stroller for my little girl. On the day it was misty, she was in the stroller covered with her blanket, and I put the poncho over stroller. She loved "hiding" in the stroller!!

Even though you never can tell with the weather - its still our favorite time to go! No crowds!!! And the Christmas decorations are so pretty!!

We went the second week of Dec. of 2001 and it was warm everyday, we even went swimming one day:D

We have been in early December almost evry year for the past 11 years. The temps can be warm or cold, so layers are the way to go. We usually peel layers as the day gets warmer and start to add layers back on in the late afternoon.

how did you do the wet rides? You must've been frozen!
What did you do???????? I interested to find this out myself. Anybody! Anybody!

It has been hit or miss with these. We've done SM at the MVMCP and frozen our mousetails off. Othertimes, we've been in shorts and tees at 11PM.

Originally posted by Sandy Feet
Suddenly realised I have no idea what type of weather to expect!

LOL, no one else does either.

Pack for everything - and don't trust the forcast. You may want spend the day at the waterparks, or it may be too cold for Splash Mountain the whole trip (much less Kali!) - on the plus side -- the lines for these rides are very short when its cold. (We skip them if its cold - but if you must - go for the warmest part of the day - and bring a change of clothes (or at least a sweatshirt) - and put the clothes plastic bag - or leave it with someone in your party not going on the ride.) It might be in the 80s (at least in the middle of the day, or you might feel lucky to see 50.

We've been a couple time in winter (though not December). We pack a little of everything. I'm more comfortable in jeans when its 75 than shorts when its 55, but the shorts are so tempting coming from a Minnesota winter!

The pools at the Disney resorts are all heated - even the water parks are heated - which makes swimming on a 70 degree day workable - the water is warmer than the air!

We felt the weather was absolutely beautiful! Is was a little cool in the AM a few mornings but we still wore shorts and just donned a sweatshirt. Only one of our trips was not in Dec and I regretted it. It was late Sept and I was ROASTING! 90+ every day. Didn't help that I was PG either. Only 8 weeks but still.

I think temps and your comfortability in them is relative to what you are used to and where you come from. My personal ideal vacation is comfoprtable, not HOT and not COLD. Which is why I feel Dec is just right. It's usually bee about 80-ish to upper 70s in the day and low to mid 50s in the mornings. But that was our experience in the first few weeks of Dec. On top of how low the cowds are. Its' wonderful. (unless you're talking around Christmas then...hope you like people...lots of them!);)

Enjoy! We'll be there too this year!:bounce:

...in 1999 the week between XMas and New Year's, and boy WAS IT COLD!!! It warmed up around 11AM, but by 4PM,when the sun was starting to set, the temperature dropped drastically. Definitely bring jeans and a jacket. At night, it not only can get chilly, but the air is damp, and remember, you are walking outside in that night air.....(bring a bathing suit, just in case, tho'....)

Sandy Feet and funhouse8:
As far as the water rides, we buy those ponchos from the dollar store (2 per pak) before we leave from home and bring them with us into the parks. ABSOLUTELY at the River Rapids at Animal Kingdom, if you don't have a poncho over you, and its cold, you're going to be bumming for the rest of the day!
Once we're off the ride, we either throw them out, or save them if we're going to ride again.
THE KIDS LOVE it...very exciting, and LOTS of screaming and laughter when that cold water hits!

this conversation brings back a fond pre-kids memory. Dh and I drove from Ohio to WDW in the vette the last weekend of February. We packed for chilly weather - warm as could be when we got there so we got a box, mailed all our warm clothes home and bought what we wanted. Then we had room to take the top off the car. :sunny:

oh the days of two incomes and few responsibilities!!

Micki

We were there this past December. (Escaping the ice storm that left us without power for 3 days.) We packed shorts and pants. Thank goodness we had the pants! It was cold and we needed to buy sweatshirts (and a jacket for my 2 yo)!! We go for Thanksgiving a lot and it's usually shorts weather then.

We were there this past Dec. Being from Boston, as long as the sun was out we were warm. But even we needed sweats on a few days. I let my kids swim and they ended up with colds. We could do shorts on some days but you need to carry a sweatshirt around with you just incase. Nights were chilly. You will definatly need a mix of clothing types for that time of year. But it is a great time to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter