• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

weather obsession

In SoCal? Nothing is accurate until the day it happens ;-) Plan but don’t panic.

so if they say 30-35 percent chance of rain, how likely is it

In weather forecasting, it means this:

On days with similar conditions, it rained 30 to 35% of the time. So, if you compare the day in question to 10 random days that had the same atmospheric conditions, it rained 3 of those days. Or thereabouts.

In SoCal? Nothing is accurate until the day it happens ;-) Plan but don’t panic.

I generally agree, but it really does seem like next week will be a wet one, overall. It is prudent to plan for rain if anyone is coming anytime from Sunday-Thursday of next week. It is almost a certainty it will happen during that window.

Seems like a safe bet you will see some wet weather. My advice; bring rain gear, head-to-toe. This is not FL, if you get wet, you will be cold. Oh, and stay off the roads. People in So Cal are some of the best drivers when it is dry, and some of the worst when it rains.

Look at the noaa maps. There is a huge presence of low pressure moisture sitting off shore. It is more than atmospheric conditions. Its sitting there waiting for the high pressure coming from onshore to dissipate. The rain will be there by Sunday the question is how much for how long.

If your pushing someone in a wheelchair not sure how to keep them dry other than poncho, if she holds a umbrella i dont think that will work, if it is a bad downpur i guess well have to stay inside, a little rain is ok but if its hard????

Noooooo! Say it isn’t so! Weather bug is the one that has the worst forecast for next week. Lol!!!
Thank you for verifying though.... let’s me know that I should definitely come prepared for rain. Living in AZ, we don’t have much in the way of rain gear but will be sure to pack ponchos, umbrellas and hope for the best :rolleyes: It says something like 50% chance of rain but I don’t know if that means a shower throughout the day or a full day pour.
I generally agree, but it really does seem like next week will be a wet one, overall. It is prudent to plan for rain if anyone is coming anytime from Sunday-Thursday of next week. It is almost a certainty it will happen during that window.
Agree with all these -- don't panic, but better to be prepared and plan for rain, than to ignore the forecasts and get soaked in the parks. lf you pack rain gear that you end up not using, so what? But if you decide to risk it and leave it at home? And it rains more than you thought it would? Believe me, you don't want to be the families I have seen in the parks with soaked clothes, soaked shoes, and plastic bags tied over their heads. Yeah, that's effective... NOT. If you only have room to pack a few things, pack a decent rain jacket, extra socks, and waterproof shoes. You can always buy a hoodie and a poncho for more coverage and warmth, if needed. But if your shoes get soaked? Not fun at all.

Figures...I'll be there for the first time ever next week and looks like lots of rain, ugh!!! I know, I know, 3rd world problem but when you think about planning a trip, finally save enough to take a trip, book the trip and follow videos/blogs and slog through a Midwest winter you are looking for a light at the end of the tunnel! It seems that it just might be a train....

Meanwhile, in WDW, where we normally go it seems around 80 and mainly sunny next week...grrrrr...

Figures...I'll be there for the first time ever next week and looks like lots of rain, ugh!!! I know, I know, 3rd world problem but when you think about planning a trip, finally save enough to take a trip, book the trip and follow videos/blogs and slog through a Midwest winter you are looking for a light at the end of the tunnel! It seems that it just might be a train....

Meanwhile, in WDW, where we normally go it seems around 80 and mainly sunny next week...grrrrr...
I totally understand, it is frustratiing for locals they can can go whenver they want but for the rest of us a trip flights hotel are such a financial commitment, you want the best trip possible, I think sunda and monday are looking good though

I checked the forecast again this morning and looks like it's gotten worse for next week. Monday was looking decent before, but now it's showing considerable rain Monday through Thursday. I'm trying to look on the positive side and thankful we arrive Saturday so we will have two nice days out of our 6 day trip.

I know there are other threads with recommendations, but in light of trying to brighten spirits here - does anyone have fun ideas of things to do in the parks when it does rain? We're staying at the Grand Californian and I read that the pools are heated - maybe even in the rain we'll be able to play in the pool a little if it's not an actual storm? We're not local and have only been to disneyland one other time.

Hopefully the forecast bounces back, I'm arriving Sunday a.m. but a non park day. Monday we are headed to Universal Hollywood, Tuesday DL and Wed DCA. I could flex DL and DCA days however depending on weather, we shall see!

I believe Great Wolf lodge nearby has day passes, if you need a rainy day excursion. I know it's extra money to spend, but at least you'll be wet by your own choosing?! I'm wishing all you guys sunny skies next week!

I checked the forecast again this morning and looks like it's gotten worse for next week. Monday was looking decent before, but now it's showing considerable rain Monday through Thursday. I'm trying to look on the positive side and thankful we arrive Saturday so we will have two nice days out of our 6 day trip.

I know there are other threads with recommendations, but in light of trying to brighten spirits here - does anyone have fun ideas of things to do in the parks when it does rain? We're staying at the Grand Californian and I read that the pools are heated - maybe even in the rain we'll be able to play in the pool a little if it's not an actual storm? We're not local and have only been to disneyland one other time.
Honestly, sitting in the lobby listening to the piano is one of my favorite things to do at the GCH. There is also a fireplace area you can sit and a few places with covered outside seating where you could listen to the rain but not get wet.

We will arrive on Sunday and have decided worse comes to worse, we will grab some food or drinks and chill at the hotel. It is the nice thing about being so close, you can easily go back to your room for a bit. I am bringing waterproof walking boot shoes, my rain jacket plus a poncho and an umbrella so that all my basis are covered. I may not be an native Oregonian but darn it I refuse to let rain spoil my trip. It's Disneyland after all.

I am going to be prepared but still not happy about it and still holding out hope that those 40% chance days go the other way,,,60% no rain.

I'm bummed about the rain too but I keep trying to remind myself that we had a super rainy day last year and it was one of my favorite days in the parks ever. It was quiet in the parks and everything looked pretty. Baby ducks out playing in the water. Not many rides down at all. We only lasted until about 730 but it was a great day and we have great pictures from it.

Hopefully the forecast bounces back, I'm arriving Sunday a.m. but a non park day. Monday we are headed to Universal Hollywood, Tuesday DL and Wed DCA. I could flex DL and DCA days however depending on weather, we shall see!
I’m DCA monday & DL Tuesday! Hoping for fun whether it rains or not!

I'm bummed about the rain too but I keep trying to remind myself that we had a super rainy day last year and it was one of my favorite days in the parks ever. It was quiet in the parks and everything looked pretty. Baby ducks out playing in the water. Not many rides down at all. We only lasted until about 730 but it was a great day and we have great pictures from it.
Love this! Maybe the crowds will be a bit lower.

It is really hard to tell, now it is saying only some rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. It seems like the forecast changes about every hour. Hopefully it will be like it was spring 2 years ago when we were supposed to have rain all week of our trip and ended up only having it for about an hour one afternoon.

It really does keep changing. I’ve been keeping my eye on weather bug ( thx @DLgal ).
I’m really debating on buying these super ugly rain shoe covers on Amazon as we don’t own any rain boots and nothing is worse than wet socks and shoes… Especially for two wet and whiny little boys. Lol. We don’t drive it until Monday so I figure I’ve got a little more time to see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter