Websites better than Amazon

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
Because of COVID, I'm doing more and more of my shopping online. Even though I have Amazon Prime, I find that it's not the best place to buy everything. For example, I have a LEGO VIP membership and I will often buy our LEGOs during their sales. They are having a double VIP points sale right now so I bought our annual Christmas village set. We add one to our LEGO Christmas village every year. In addition to double points, they threw in two extra small sets for free. After this purchase, I'll have more than 6,000 points, which I can redeem for money off of other purchases.

I've also found Amazon to not be a good place to purchase clothes. I prefer Old Navy sales for my kids.

What are your recommendations for websites that are better at certain things than Amazon. I'm not talking about stuff such as Honey, which I view as a separate thing.

Because of COVID, I'm doing more and more of my shopping online. Even though I have Amazon Prime, I find that it's not the best place to buy everything. For example, I have a LEGO VIP membership and I will often buy our LEGOs during their sales. They are having a double VIP points sale right now so I bought our annual Christmas village set. We add one to our LEGO Christmas village every year. In addition to double points, they threw in two extra small sets for free. After this purchase, I'll have more than 6,000 points, which I can redeem for money off of other purchases.

I've also found Amazon to not be a good place to purchase clothes. I prefer Old Navy sales for my kids.

What are your recommendations for websites that are better at certain things than Amazon. I'm not talking about stuff such as Honey, which I view as a separate thing.

I think that's a really broad question. What things do you buy that you don't want to get at Amazon?

I say this because I'd never have suggested Legos and to me clothes is any store I'd go into to shop at I buy from online. Same with target, if I was goibg to buy it there and don't want to go inside I'll order for pu or shipped.

3 weeks out of the month I order groceries online for our local store and then go pick them up. It really all comes down to where you normally shop to begin with and if they have a good website. Or where do you normally shop, aside from amazon, that you're looking to replace with a website that has good deals.

Honestly, due to all the yuck this year, Amazon Prime is the best for my family. It's the only site that I generally don't have delivery issues (and have 2 hour and same day delivery), the return process is super fast and easy, and they have most everything - plus no minimum order. I have had way too many delivery issues and delays from others I have tried to buy from. Old Navy, Sams, etc. seem to take forever to deliver.

I use Walmart grocery delivery every week, but no longer buy from their site except on occasion.

Hollar (same as Five and Below) has cute things and ships quickly so I use them when I need a dollar store type fix lol.

I'm not looking for anything specific. I just thought it would be a helpful thing to discuss since a lot of us probably do more shopping than usual online because of COVID>

I have had no issues with Amazon, but you do need to check prices with other sites since lately some of their household products have gotten VERY expensive. Perhaps due to covid, there is a huge demand, but even the comments people are making on the Amazon site indicate excessive prices on certain items. Always good to comparison shop for anything you are buying online.

The Walmart website also has a lot of products only available online that you won't find in their stores.

Mostly depends on what you are buying as I haven't found any single website that has everything I might buy online.

I haven't found any website that does everything but I have found some that offer for specific items better prices, better selection, and/or more useful search criteria/engine. For example, Houzz and Wayfair have much better search criteria and search engines than Amazon does when searching for home decor and furnishings because that's what the websites focus on.

I always price compare between Target, Amazon, Walmart and any other retailers that offer delivery for what I need. And I go through Rakuten for the rebates if they're available. Groceries, I'll still go get myself unless I'm strapped for time, then I find that delivery through Target works pretty well and isn't that much more expensive for what I get.

I get 5% off and free shipping with my Target debit card so it sometimes is a better choice for me. I also like the Target store brands.

One thing to also consider is the “return” window. Right now, anything I’ve purchased from Amazon-prime, can be returned through 1/31/2021.

I go between Amazon and Target for the most part. I absolutely hate to pay shipping and I have credit cards through both of them.

I follow Hip2Save.com for all deals, though.

^^ Same here, Wayfair/Overstock/Hayneedle sell a lot of the same 'home decor' type of items. Have had very good success with all of them. If you find the UPC (barcode) # for an item, do an online search and you can easily compare prices. There are also a few websites that compares prices for you across many websites. Can be a big timesaver if doing a lot of shopping for various items.

I like J. Crew and J. Crew Factory. If you become a rewards member, (no cost), you get free shipping with no minimum purchase!
I also like Kohl's for their Kohls Cash and coupon benefits. I have an LL Bean Mastercard and use the points to shop on their website, too.

I have learned Amazon is no longer a great deal for me. Toys match Walmart’s prices...which I can get at store or shipping. Target price matches, so non issue there.

Clothes, I have not shopped at Amazon ever.
Books and all that haven’t bought in a while.

I’ve had bad experiences from deliveries from Amazon. One first dropped them off at the mailboxes floor (I live in an apartment so they can’t leave things inside my mailbox) rather then my doorstep. Since I’m working from home I was able to retrieve it immediately once I got the update text with a picture. Then another package was left somewhere (said it was left in a secure location no picture this time) and never was able to retrieve it. I didn’t appreciate having to speak to a supervisor to get refunded. Especially since it has been my first package lost in a few years from them. I was made to feel like I was lying and trying to get something for free. I will be canceling my membership when it expires as I don’t know if I can get a partial refund as it automatically renewed in August. Prices aren’t a deal anymore. I remember back in the day their prices were cheaper then other stores.

There are no shortage of other websites where you can find better deals, especially with smaller sites that don’t charge sales tax.

Amazon certainly does have deals but I think the biggest thing going for them is convenience and speed. Smaller sites cannot get things to you in one day unless they are really close to you or otherwise the only option is very expensive, legitimate overnight delivery. Amazon is everywhere now and they have made it normal for you to order something on a Saturday and expect it on Sunday. I think there are no shortage of people willing to pay a little extra for that nearly instant gratification.

One of the reasons I rather use established/known websites is you don't have to worry about it being some kind of scam. If some unknown website has items with good prices, I always do more research to make sure they are legit and not some kind of ripoff. Many websites now offer free shipping or free shipping with a min order. I never pay for expedited shipping since nothing ever seems to take that long to deliver and for most items they aren't something I suddenly decide today I will need tomorrow!!!

Amazon is convenient for some items, but there are many other websites I like even better. Prices lately on various household products are all over the map on Amazon and way cheaper elsewhere.

I am a big fan of BestBuy these days. I find the same or better electronic and small appliance deals there compared to Amazon, and feel like I am less likely to get a counterfeit item. (There are some things like SD cards that I absolutely refuse to buy from Amazon, even directly from them, because of counterfeit issues.) I have also had good luck with the Insignia brand lately, which is mostly available at BestBuy. Returns are also easier with BestBuy - just take it to the local store. I had an item lately that had to be shipped back to Amazon to be returned, and they never credited the return after receiving the package. I had to contact Amazon customer support to be credited, two weeks after the tracking showed Amazon had the received it. I also like BestBuy's curbside pickup - I use that for items that are in stock at my local store - I like being able to place my order and confirm it's in stock and ready to go instead of hauling down to the store just to find out it's really out of stock.

I also buy a lot on eBay when I am not as worried about returns and/or have more room for condition issues. There was an item I was looking at yesterday that was $40 at best on Amazon, but I found the exact same thing on eBay for $30. Pictures showed it was the exact same packaging, etc. It was listed as New, and I am good with torn up packaging etc. - but if it turns out to be obviously used or there is something wrong with it making it unusable, I know eBay and/or Paypal will have my back if it comes to resolving that if the seller is a pain (but I've only had a seller like that 1 time in all these years). I have also started buying items on Mercari here and there in the last year - but I've found sellers there can be slow to ship sometimes, so I prefer eBay.

And of course, Kohl's is a big deal for me. Most of my clothes come from there. I can't buy as much for DD20 there because their stuff doesn't reflect her style very well, but I get some stuff there for her. I also get a lot of things like small kitchen items and linens there - trick is to know your prices, so you know when something is really a good deal vs. not. Their regular prices are all ridiculously inflated, but with sales and coupons you can get some really good deals IF you really pay attention.

As far as Target goes, I find myself buying less and less there. Mostly just household staples in store. I've never been a big Walmart shopper - I find the stores unwelcoming and traffic/parking a hassle. The minimum purchase requirements for free shipping on online orders at both stores mean I tend to look elsewhere, or just buy in store locally.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter