Wedding Questions

Mickey02

<font color=darkcoral>Glad the brain washing worke
Good Morning,

In Oct 2004 my daughter will be getting married and we are planning a Disney wedding. I have noticed many people have already had or are planning a Disney wedding. I would love information and tips anyone willing to help.

We are planning on around 30 to 50 people. What is an average price??

How many days in advance should we arrive??

Thanks for any input you may have!!!

Mickey, I have two suggestions.

1. Go to yahoo, and subscribe to the disneymooners group. That is a group of former and current disney brides. Lots of planning info.

2. Check out this website. www.yourfairytale.com. The woman who created this site had a Disney wedding, and also wrote a book about the subject which his only available online. Also, lots of info!

Good luck and best wishes,

Aurora

Okay, I have no idea why, but that link is taking me to the wrong place. Again, it is www.yourfairytale.com

If that doesn't work, try just typing it into your browser.:D

Thank You Thank You Thank You

For all the information. I have spent hours today in the website.

Next thing I guess is to call Disney. Any ideas what price range we are looking at for app 50 people??

Hi Mickey02!
My fiance and I are also planning a wedding this year in Disney. We are having about 30 people. My best advice to you is do your homework. I've picked up lots of great info on this discussion board. We chose not to use Disney for photography or videography. The reason was we had so many more options available where Disney did not. I just hope you get a good wedding coordinator. I can't say I've been very pleased with mine. Good luck!

I know that a custom wedding (ie, any wedding with more than 8 guests) has a minimum cost of $10,000 for Friday-Sat-Sun, and $7500 for a weekday event. If you do your homework and set your priorities, I could see you doing a custom for 50 for the minimum. It just depends on what you want, especially extra-wise. For example, Cinderella's glass coach costs something like $2000. I'd rather spend that on a few more days in Disney, a nicer room, or wedding rings! OR just not spend it at all!

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm sure, no matter how you go, it will be a magical wedding!

Congrats on your daughter's engagement! Again, like everyone else, disneymooners has been a wonderful help to me - make sure your daughter visits the site too!
Cost will be very hard to gauge until after your daughter signs the contract with Disney (and Disney will give you no clues to costs until at least the time the contract is signed). I've found that the waiting is the most difficult part with Disney, but everything will fall in line! We invited about 50 guests to our wedding. We just sent in our adjusted head count and have 30 guests actually attending (keep in mind that even though many guests will tell you a year ahead that they will come - when it comes down to it, they realistically all cannot attend).
The first thing to decide is the wedding date, Disney will set aside a date and time one year in advance. If your daughter has her heart set on a specific day, call exactly 1 year ahead just to make sure you get it! As soon as she sets a date, she should also set up an officiant and a photographer. With Disney, you are not guaranteed the reception site until you sign the contract, but you wedding date and time are fairly well secured. We are using Jack Day as our officiant and Randy Chapman as a photographer (his rates are MUCH lower than Disney and other area photogtaphers). He also did our free engagement photos (came with our package) in January on our site visit and did a wonderful job!
We chose a Monday wedding beacuse it is close to the weekend, so that our guests who can arrive over the weekend and take as little time off work as possible. Also, this brought our minimum expenditure down to $7500. We also chose our wedding time at noon, so then our cocktail hour/reception will start prior to 2pm, keeping our overall food and beverage minimum at $75.
As far as reception menus, it will vary depending on their reception site. We chose Epcot's living seas lounge. The Epcot catering menu was reasonable and has menus of all price ranges. We chose a $60 plated meal, our cake is $8/person and we are doing a bar to be billed on consumption. We wanted the bar to be open during our entire reception and were not willing to pay $40/person for a package bar.......I figured out that on the package I would have to drink 8 beers to get to the $40 and I don't think it would be physically possible for me to do this! With bill on consumption, you tell your coordinator how many drinks per person to average into your budget (they average $5/drink). You will pay upfront for that amount and then if you have overpaid they will return the money to you after the wedding (if you underpaid, you get it taken from your $1000 deposit money). This way you only pay for what is actually consumed.
One of the other places we tried to save money is on floral. Flowers are really expensive and simple additions can add up really quickly. We chose just to have the traditional bouquets and boutanire's as well as a simple alter arrangement, which will be moved over to the living seas for our reception. At our reception we will have glass bowls with floating candles and flower pedals (about $10 each X 6 tables) as opposed to centerpieces which started around $30 a piece. They will try to suggest more floral, but considering that it is not coming home with us, there was not a point to order additional flowers. Both the wedding pavillion and our reception site are already beautiful without additional expensive add-ons!
Regarding your question about when to arrive. My parents are flying down two days before the wedding and leaving the day after. Mike and I are flying down 5 days before to make sure that we have more than one day to get the marriage license (just in case we run into problems/courthouse closing early etc). Also, that way we will physically be there when all of our guests arrive. Disney will also offer to set aside a time for a wedding rehearsal. We set ours up for 4pm the day before the wedding.
Overall our wedding is going to cost around $11,000, photography is around $2500, the officiant is $175 and dress steaming is $60.

Thank You so much for the response. I am going to print it
out and referance it often. I know each wedding is going to
vary in cost, it is so nice to have a "general" idea. I had nightmares of this wedding costing $20,000 ++++. It should be fairly simple I thought anywhere from 30 to 50 people.

I do have a another question about the bar. I really like the cash bar thing. I was wondering if that was a possibility. Do you have to have a bar at all?? If you do and have a cash bar do you have to guarentee a min?? I love the flowers in a bowl also. I think it looks so elegant. What is the $75 for??

Thank you so much!! You have been so helpful!!

Barb

You do not have to have a bar for the wedding, we did not. We also had our reception in the Living Seas room - it really is spectacular. During the coctail reception we had 2 kinds of punch available, regular and decaf coffee and an assortment of teas. For dinner the same things were availabe, as well as sodas and ice tea. We toasted with a sparkling white grape juice, and had that and all the other soft drinks available during our cake, which we served as our dessert. Although it caused a bit of a fuss before the wedding that we were not having a bar (DH parents felt like it should be available) when it came down to it nobody missed it, everyone had a wonderful time, and I didn't have to worry about anyone not feeling well. It helped me keep a family atmosphere I'm much more comfortable in.

Thanks for the input. My family does not drink much and it seems
that it is just one expense we could eliminate. If you do have a cash bar do you have to guarentee an amount??

From researching the website for Disney weddings. It seems that there is food served before you go into dinner. Seems like another unnessasary expense. Any thoughts??

Thanks
Barb

Ahutton-Love the cheerleader. 2 of my daughters are cheerleaders. Including the one who is getting married next year.
:D

Thanks - BambiTamby on the community board made her for me and I just love my cheerleader!

If I remember right (and we did this in 1996 so it may have changed) there was an up front amount for the cash bar. We decided it wasn't worth it, and I truly believe nobody missed it. We did a reception hour with snacks before dinner, but did that while DH and I, along with the maid of honor and best man did after wedding photos at the wedding pavillion. It gave everyone something to snack on while they waited. It certainly was optional, but when I got there boy was I glad there were snacks because I was starving.

Also, if your DD would like, when the limo driver picked up DH and best man they ran off site and picked up some champagne and such for the limo ride after the photos which was nice to have. We took a relaxing drive from the wedding pavillion over to EPCOT, and took our time.

Hummmm Good point about the snacks.

My daughter will be a few months shy of 20 she won't be old
enough to drink. heehee. young I know but they will both be in college and they are sure they want to get married before they finish.

Did you look into Cinderella's coach?? I think we are going with a total Cinderella theme including the colors of light blue and white.
I would really love to rent the coach. What a magical wedding day it would be for her.

Barb

Barb,
The $75 is the minimum food and beverage expenditure per person (for events that start before 2pm). If you start after 2pm the minimum goes up to $100 per person. Your daughter will have to keep this in mind when you decide on the guest list as well as when picking the menu. Again, we chose a $60/plate meal -- which sounds like a lot of money, but is realistic with the minimum cost we had to meet. The $75 minimum includes bar (if you have one), cake, dinner and cocktail food all before tax and the automatic gratuity. This is one of the two reasons we are having the cocktail food served -- we are only doing assorted fruit with a dipping sauce, nothing elaborate. Also, disney automatically sets you a "cocktail hour" which is in the interm time after the wedding while the bride and groom and their immediate family are taking pictures. Your guests are taken to the reception site during this time and you meet up with them to begin the actual reception. The other reason we added the fruit platter is the fact that our wedding is at lunch time. I don't want our guests to get uncomfortable or feel sick because they haven't eaten.
As far as the bar is concerned. You absolutely do not have to offer a bar. It may help meet minimum costs if you know most of the guests will drink. Your daughter can also choose just to have a champagne toast -they will calculate how many bottles you need based on the number of guests and you prepay for that amount. If all of the bottles are not opened, you only pay for the ones that were opened. Also, there is a charge of $100 for a bartender if you offer a bar and do not reach $500 total in sales.
With Cinderella's glass coach -- it looks beautiful! We saw it during our site visit. I have heard that it is extremely hot (no air conditioning, and it acts somewhat like a small greenhouse!) However, I don't think it would be that bad for a fall wedding. We chose to have a vintage Rolls Royce instead. It cost about $540 (still a lot of money, but this was the only extra we are doing) as opposed to the $2000 for the coach. Also, remember that the coach will only be used for a "staged exit" and other photos, so you only get a few minutes of use and some pictures out of it. If you really want to save money, I'd suggest looking into other options.

Oh my goodness $2000??? I had no idea it cost that much.
Hummmm have to rethink if it is worth it for such a short amount of time. If you get the limo how long do you get it for??

Barb

Hi Mickey02,

I'm another Mother of the Bride (MOB). My DD and her fiance are getting married in Dec. of 2004. Thank goodness, because it's going to take me that long to save up for her Fairy Tale Wedding. She'll be having her ceremony at the Wedding Pavillion and her reception on the Italy Isola in Epcot.

We're planning on about 50-60 people and so far the budget is looking like around $21,000.00 (not including our travel and hotel). Cinderella's coach is now $2,500.00 (DD wants it of course). Limos are rented on a 3 hour minimum and are $73.00/hour. If your reception is not close to the ceremony site, you'll also need to arrange transportation for your guests. Chartered buses are also $73.00/hour with a 5 hour minimum.

A billed on consumption bar is probably the best way to go for you. You estimate the number of drinks served and pre-pay the bar. If you are under your estimate, WDW refunds you the difference. If you're over, they take the balance from your initial $1,000 deposit you made when you signed your contract.

Another excellent source of information is a Yahoo group called Disneymooners. A wealth of information from current and past FTW brides. Here's the URL if you'd like to join:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/disneymooners/files/

Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Linda
MOB-Andrea & Jacob
12/9/04

Good Morning

Thank you for all the wonderful information. It is nice to get input from others that are in the same boat.

I have not had any luck signing into "Disneymooners" not sure what I am doing wrong.

Hi Mickey02,

Because it's a private discussion group, a moderator has to approve your "application". Did you sign up to join the group?

Linda

Good Morning

Linda I'm not really sure if I applied or not. It kept coming
back to the same screens. I have not heard anything yet. Wonder what I did wrong.

How long have you been planning your daughters wedding?? Have you already talked to the wedding coordinatior?? We have not called yet. I want to get a list of questions together before we call. I am also planning a surprise Disney trip in December so I hope to have my daughter talk to them in person too.

I would love to know what you have planned so far.

Barb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter