Weekly Menu Oct. 21 - 27

Mr. & Mrs. Smith

<font color=darkorchid>How can you not look? They'
I thought it might be a fun idea to share our weekly menus with each other. I try to organize myself on Sunday to plan a few meals ahead. So I'll start. I also have recipes for everything that I can share if anyone would like them.

Sunday

Fend For Yourself Day (i.e. leftovers, frozen dinners, etc.)

Monday

Chicken and Dumplings (done in slowcooker)
with Oatmeal Bread

Tuesday

Cranberry Pork (done in slowcooker)
with Old-Fashioned Scalloped Corn
and frozen peas

Wednesday

Out of Town Day (i.e. eat at restaurant)

Thursday

Leftover Day (i.e. Chicken & Dumplings/Cranberry Pork or frozen pizza)

Friday

Chicken Curry (done in slowcooker)
with rice

Saturday

Church Dinner (bringing Old Fashioned Scalloped Corn)

Fun!

Sunday (today):
Epcot Food and Wine Festival

Monday:
Beef Stew with homemade bread

Tuesday:
Leftovers with salad

Wednesday:
Lasagna with salad

Thursday:
Grilled Hamburgers, homemade french fries and corn on the cob

Friday:
Homemade pizzas with salad

Saturday:
dinner at my parent's

What a fun idea!
Sun- roast beef, carrots, potatoes, bread, pears
Mon-garlic/lime chicken, pasta, broccoli,
Tues- eat out (speech, boy scouts, etc)
Wed-Sloppy Joes, baked french fries(weight watchers recipe) peaches
Thurs- pizza for kids, sushi at a friend's for DH and I:thumbsup2
Fri- school halloween carnival, chicken schwarma or lamb kabobs from the Booster Club!
Sat.- ???
Oh, our school/work week is Sun-Thurs!
Katy

What fun - makes me plan a bit too :rolleyes1
Sun: pork tenderloin with oven roasted root veg
Mon: pan-fried marinated halibut (Mickey's snapper recipe :thumbsup2 ) with new potatoes and salad
Tuesday: Pizza (may be home-made, depends if I have to work;) )
Wednesday: Beef casserole with mashed potatoes and veg
Thursday: eating out (visiting a museum so not sure where!)
Friday: Having a halloween party for kids in the afternoon, so maybe leftovers (unlikely!:lmao: ), or else some simple pasta
Saturday: Steak, roast potatoes and extra

ETA could you post/PM your Monday chicken and dumpligs recipe please? I'm going to borrow my mum's slow cooker (to see if I want one) and I could leave that cooking during the party and we can eat when we're ready :thumbsup2

I'm glad you are all enjoying it. Here's my chicken and dumplings recipe. I actually "borrowed" it from the DIS. I've modified it a little bit. Hope you enjoy.

***Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings***
2 chicken breasts or thighs (Easiest if boneless and skinless.)
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 Tbsp. butter
1 can refrigerator biscuits
1 soup can of water

Put the chicken breasts in a crock pot, top with soup, margarine, and water. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and stir. 45 minutes before serving (turn heat to High if cooking on Low), break biscuits in half and add to crock pot.

We don't have refrigerator biscuits over here (I presume they're some sort of ready-made scone dough :confused3 ). Any idea what I could use instead? (sort of making a batch of scone dough, as that would rather defeat the object:rotfl: )

Sounds lovely though!

ETA how many does it serve?

If you are using it as the main dish, it only serves 4 max. If you are serving it alongside something else, it could go further.

Hmm...I'm not sure what to do instead of refrigerator dough. Are you sure you don't have it? It's made by Betty Crocker or other companies like that and it's just pre-mixed and pre-portioned dough. Almost any type of dough would work I would think.

No, we don't have that here. Even the croissant dough is really hard to find - I used to be a Pampered Chef consultant and mainly demonstrated broccoli dip because I couldn't get the croissant dough. In the UK we either make scones or buy them ready made - ready to bake is not so big here. Even cake mixes are few and far between - we have a few Betty Crocker ones, but mostly its "supercook" and they are YUCK!

Do you have Bisquick or something similar there? You can always make the Bisquick batter and drop it by spoonfuls on top of the chicken, just as you would the refrigerated biscuits. I would imagine the cooking time would probably be very similar.

:confused3 what is bisquick? I've seen it mentioned on sites but I have no idea what it is:rotfl2: I don't buy a lot of dehydrated or packet stuff - no soup mix, or even tins (other than tinned chopped tomatos) as I tend to make from scratch. No pie shells here! (We can buy them but they taste like cardboard - I prefer to make the pastry myself) But if you tell me what its supposed to end up like I can probably find a recipe. Is it like Yorkshire pudding?

No. Dumplings are like little pieces of dough that cook in a stew or something like that. I'm sure you could find a recipe for them online. They're super easy to make.

Sunday- Pulled Pork Sandwiches (Mom sent this to DH his favorite) & fries
Monday- Homemade Pork and bean soup with french bread (I used some leftover pork chops for this)
Tuesday- Cheese tortellini and Sausage
Wednesday- DH is working, looks like I will be eating DS halloween candy!!!
Thursday- Honey mustard grilled Ham Steaks and beans
Friday- DH working, dinner with DS at my Mom and Dad's
Saturday- Baked Chicken, corn and spanish rice

Mrs. Disney Ron

Yeah, I know what dumplings are, as I make 3 kinds - knokedleigh (sp?) like in Jewish chicken soup(made with matzo meal), the ones my MIL taught me to make in goulash (flour and egg) and the ones my mum taght me to make for stews - which we make with suet. But I ddn't know what Bisquick was as we don't have it here. So all I need to know is which type of dumpling we're talking about and I'm away!:thumbsup2

Mazda UK, Bisquick is a packaged biscuit mix -- basically flour, salt, shortening, and baking powder -- premeasured and mixed. The package includes recipes for making biscuits, pancakes, even some cookies. If you have a recipe for biscuits, you could easily use that. I would imagine that there are many variations that would work.

I can't believe you make knedlicky! My mother is Slovakian, so I grew up with all those goodies.

I make dumplings (halousky) by making a sticky pasta-type dough: For each person, I use 1-2 whole eggs and about 1-2 tablespoons of water per egg. Then add about 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste) per egg and AP flour. I just keep adding flour till it becomes a very thick, yet still sticky dough. (Too much flour will make the dumplings too dry.) Transfer the dough to a hand-held cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut small pieces directly into boiling water. If you're making a lot, boil them in smaller batches. The dumplings are done when they float to the top. Remove them with a slotted spoon and add a small amount of butter to keep them from sticking.

They're not the prettiest things, but they sure are good. This is what I always make my kids when they're sick. They still ask for it even though they're 22 and 19!! :laughing:

I don't assign days to my menu, I just make a list of meals I have ingredients for (or am shopping for that day.) I worry about sides as I go - usually salad, vegies, rice or potatoes, etc.

Here's the list that's currently on my fridge:

Corned beef
Boboli (a premade pizza type crust)with toppings
Egg McMuffins
Grilled chicken
Ham and scallopped potatoes
BLT sandwiches
Poached or baked fish
spaghetti
Chicken Ziti
Meatballs
Soft tacos
Fish stew

I've crossed about half the things off the list already. Tonight is Chicken Ziti (recipe from this board - Yum!) Tomorrow is a busy night so I'm thinking I'll make Egg McMuffins since I already opened the Canadian Bacon when we had Boboli.

I'm a little late on this but I'll post just a few days worth of meal
Monday: Tacos
Tuesday: Chuck Roast with potatoes, carrots and onions
Wednesday:Pork Tenderloin and rice and some kind of veggie
Thursday: I'm thinking soup not what kind yet

The dumplings you want to make for the chicken and dumplings are the type you would make for stew.

I'll post this weeks menus... to motivate myself to follow!

Sunday- tacos, refried beans, corn
Monday- chicken lettuce wraps, broccoli with cashews(YUMMO), rice
Tuesday-some kind of sandwiches....
Wednesday-Halloween- order pizza
Thurs- Kids to a friends for more pizza, DH and I dinner at a fancy hotel for a "Monster Ball."
Friday- Haunted house at a friends, taking Mummy toes, cookies, and ???
Sat. Lunch on the run between THREE play practices, dinner...grilled chicken, rice, salad, fruit.

Katy

I'm back at work this week :sad: and DH is on late shift so no planned family meals until Sunday - Roast chicken, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, cheesy leeks, stuffing, gravy...mmmmmmmm haven't decided on desert yet ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter