Well, I did it and I feel terrible about it.

Everyone seems fixated on the phone portion of the post. That was an example of how things have gotten more and more difficult at Disney properties. So, let's set aside the phone portion for a moment and try to discuss how things have gotten to the point where you're more stressed out in planning every little detail about a Disney vacation than you are before the vacation begins.

I understand what the OP is saying. I too remember going to Disney World and being dazzled by everything. We would get up in the morning and, like the OP, decide where we wanted to go that day. We would get to the park and eventually want something to eat. Yes, there may be a wait, as everyone seemed to want to eat the same time.

Things have gotten so rushed, so stressful, and so exhausting that it's no wonder people get discouraged about planning a visit.

"Things change and there's no going back." Perhaps that's true. But we who remember the simpler days don't have to like it.

With a wheelchair, it's really a lot. Between a wheelchair and car seats, Disney was really a magical place where luggage magically appeared and you just got on a bus. It was already planned for you, and they did it well. It was the only place where the wheelchair was almost not even an issue.

I actually think all the phone stuff is an improvement, but the physical barriers getting around a person in a wheelchair are significant. Sure, I can hire a special car service or rent a special van or whatever. I can do that places that aren't Orlando. So, maybe I will be expanding my horizons.

When he got into Star Wars he talked about it to the neighbors like it was something they had never seen. Several of them had to remind him that they were George Lucas' age and saw it with their kids when it came out.
Love this!

....you must be older than 30! :p [ I have found that most folks under the age of 30 don't use a phone for what it's true purpose is - talking! :rotfl: ]
I'm 50, and I rarely actually talk on mine. :rotfl2:

Hi. I
Remember parents lugging around video cameras and film cameras and all the corner shops carried a huge array of overpriced film. Today I bring my 1/3 pound phone instead and it's actually superior to our old equipment. WDW is so photogenic my phone comes regardless.

There are other ways to do stuff in WDW without a phone. Having a phone does make it easier but that's mostly because the technology made these processes easier. Forgot your park tickets in your room? No worries if you're using MDE. Not sure which quick service has the best menu for your family but you don't want to walk the park finding out? MDE. Don't want to spend 20-30 minutes on a QS line, 15 minutes waiting for your food? Mobile Order. Lost your room key? Lost your husband? Forgot where you parked in MK lot? Need to know the last 2 showings of Beauty & the Beast? Where's the nearest restroom? Show me how to get there? Quickest route to Frozen from Figment? Is the afternoon shower almost here? Find out if Test Track is down without walking over? Get on the walk-up list for Nomad Lounge right after getting off of Dinosaur? Not needing to walk over there to find out there's a 90 minute wait? Many parts of guest experience has vastly improved from technology accessible thru our phones.

It'd be nice to disconnect from our devices but that would also mean sacrificing many of the improvements made over the last decade or so. Do we really want to go back?
'm the original OP for this chat. I agree with everything you said except for one thing. For those who do not know their way around the parks, apps may be the
Remember parents lugging around video cameras and film cameras and all the corner shops carried a huge array of overpriced film. Today I bring my 1/3 pound phone instead and it's actually superior to our old equipment. WDW is so photogenic my phone comes regardless.

There are other ways to do stuff in WDW without a phone. Having a phone does make it easier but that's mostly because the technology made these processes easier. Forgot your park tickets in your room? No worries if you're using MDE. Not sure which quick service has the best menu for your family but you don't want to walk the park finding out? MDE. Don't want to spend 20-30 minutes on a QS line, 15 minutes waiting for your food? Mobile Order. Lost your room key? Lost your husband? Forgot where you parked in MK lot? Need to know the last 2 showings of Beauty & the Beast? Where's the nearest restroom? Show me how to get there? Quickest route to Frozen from Figment? Is the afternoon shower almost here? Find out if Test Track is down without walking over? Get on the walk-up list for Nomad Lounge right after getting off of Dinosaur? Not needing to walk over there to find out there's a 90 minute wait? Many parts of guest experience has vastly improved from technology accessible thru our phones.

It'd be nice to disconnect from our devices but that would also mean sacrificing many of the improvements made over the last decade or so. Do we really want to go back?
Hi. I'm the OP for this chat. I agree with everything you said except for my point of view. Yes, having an app if you are not acquainted with the parks may be very helpful. I have been to WDW 13 times in the last 11 years and once in 1987. I know the parks. I have a magic band instead of tickets, room keys, charges, etc.. I know what the menus are because I have eaten at every place I want to eat at. I use disney transportation, not the lots. I never wait in line for a ride. If the line is more than 15 minutes, we just walk on. I know where the restrooms are. If a ride is down (i have never experienced a ride down), we would just walk on. Because we go to WDW to enjoy the Magic, we have very few electronic needs. I have always said, WDW is best enjoyed when you get older. Oh, by the way. I am not who hates technology. I used it everyday when I worked at Homeland Security

Hi. I am the OP of this chat as I agree with everything you have said, for someone who is not as acquainted with WDW as I may be. My wife and I, and at times, my children and grandchildren, have traveled to WDW since 1987. My comments were based on the knowledge of experience. You cited forgetting park tickets or forgetting where you parked your car. I have a magic band that allows me entry, I use WDW transportation and the band also allows me to pay for dining and purchases. I know the menus of the restaurants I prefer to eat at. I never wait in a line. If the line is more than 15 minutes, we just walk on by. I know where the restrooms are. As you can see, technology serves no purpose for me. I can't lose my wife as I am the one pushing her wheelchair. I have gotten very comfortable at the parks because of my experience. I know many people who say their vacation at WDW was stressful, tiring, and exasperating. We find it to be calming and rejuvenating. I have always told people that they will enjoy the parks more so after several trips. You learn how to do them without any problems. Oh, as for lugging the heavy video camera, we have never taken a film or photo in all our trips. We use the WDW photographers to take our one and only group photo. That is all we need as we use our memories to recall those happy times. All I am trying to relate is that technology is not always the answer for everyone, at least not for my family. I am not asking them to rid the parks of technology, just don't require it.

I have the BEST thing in the world, my own personal guide [my DS is a CM....:rotfl: ] although [ and you can verify it in my siggie! ;) ] that I have been to WDW so many times that I don't really need a park map (haven't used them in YEARS, although I do collect them for my scrapbooking) or technology [even though I have both WDW and the DL apps on my phone]....

Well I did it. My wife and I have decided not to resume our annual trip to WDW next February due to the myriad of changes we have seen that now exist at our favorite place and we feel sick about it. My biggest complaint is the need to make a reservation for a park. I talked to a Disney Rep yesterday and it seems that the reservations will be here for awhile. My wife and I are in our late 60's and we enjoy waking up in the morning and deciding what park to visit after our breakfast. That decision is based on the weather and what we feel like experiencing that day. We also do not do the "electronic" thing. No cell phone, no I-Pad, nothing. We like to walk around and enjoy the parks at our leisure. Now you have to call in your quick serve food order. I am worried about the transportation phase as well. It was comforting knowing I got off the plane, walked down to Magical Express and got to the hotel. Without a phone or ability to text, I am told getting an uber is not happening. The bus service is there but it was explained to me it could take hours before I get to our hotel. The bags always showed up in our room in a matter of hours. That is now gone. My wife is relegated to a wheelchair so going to pick up our bags adds another hardship. Our "Happiest Place on Earth" has suddenly become Not-So Friendly. I understand that the youth of today exist for their phones or whatever you want to call your communications device. But can't we who choose to just take it easy and enjoy the parks not be burdened because we don't have those devices?
While your opinions do not apply to me they do apply to my Dad. He will be joining us on our upcoming trip, and does not ever want a phone. I do feel your frustration as it seems Disney has made the parks electronic and if you don’t have that ability then what do you do? That would be very hard for someone in your situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter