We're all out there chasing our better selves (FredtheDuck chases on)

Am I going to feel like I'm pushing way too hard if I run my half at 12-ish minutes a mile (I need to keep under a 12:40 pace)?
Chiming in here to say, don't worry. I was extremely worried about this very question a few weeks ago before my 10 mile race. I hadn't been using the custom training plan for very long (~4-5 weeks at time of said doubts working their way into my mind), and I was not sure if my body was going to like so many changes at once: going from run/walk to run; going from running 3 days a week to 4 (most weeks); going slower on the majority of the days; etc etc. I shouldn't have worried so much! Everything worked out the way the plan was designed...slowly learning to trust in the math. :D

Again, more evidence that there's something to all this slow running.

Slow running is DA BESS

It also adds to the point that you need to be careful going too fast on the easy days right now. Because any additional fatigue you build right now will carry through through the rest of the plan.

Yeah, I think that's key to realize. This is all the way in September but that's right around the corner!

Everything worked out the way the plan was designed

Thanks for chiming in. You were one of the ones that encouraged me to go for it I'm so glad you did! I'm really enjoying it so far, and I feel so much more comfortable physically post-runs. Super excited to see where this goes, and happy to hear that things are still going well for you!

Today's run was fine. It was one of the first times I've run three days back to back. Felt good. I ran with @MoanasPapa, and it was definitely nice to have company.

We did, however, have some pacing problems. Some of it seems to be tech-related. You see, RunKeeper on my AppleWatch said we had hit 3 miles when the Activity app on Matt's watch said 2.84 miles. We kept going until we got his to 3.0. We ran side-by-side or single file the entire run. There should not have been big route or pace variations.

IMG_4328.PNG

So either I ran close to pace (13:14 instead of the planned 13:32) for 3.0 miles or too fast (12:41) for 3.15 miles.

IMG_4329.PNG

We're heading to the local running store right now (having some heel and Achilles tenderness that predates this plan and want to look at other shoes). We plan to talk to them about tech options.

Last edited:

From my personal experience, I used runtastic (an iPhone app) for my first few years of training. I trained for a HM to run a set pace. I lined up at the race with the pacer for that goal pace. The first mile came in 25 seconds too fast. I blamed (in my head) the pacer for being too fast. Then the second mile was 25 seconds too fast again. I was really thinking the pacer screwed us over. I ended up finishing that race with a distance of ~13.8 miles. I thought so the pacer was bad AND the distance was way above 13.1 miles. Man, what a bad race. After that race, I realized it wasn't the pacer or the course, it was me. My runtastic app was off by about 5% from reality. So this translates to about 25-30 seconds per mile off pace. When I switched to my first Garmin watch (Garmin 620) I no longer ever had those problems. I'd run the same course everyday (still do) and finish within 0.02 of the same distance every time. So based on how and how often the GPS device pings for distance determines how accurate a distance given.

If you want to test what the distance really is, try mapping it out using an internet satellite system. Just make sure you get as close to the tangents as you actually run. I have found this to have less than a 1% error from reality.

https://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/MeasuringRoutes.asp

I'd be careful drawing too many conclusions from still pictures on your stride because it can be deceiving. I'd suggest having someone film you if you're truly interested in how it looks. I'll say from my experience as a shuffler that I believe you can run as fast as 6:30 min/miles before shuffling becomes an issue. I personally shuffle and am completely capable of 7 min/mile pace without issue and my knees never come up.

Curious about this - how are you defining shuffler?

Ha. Fair. But genre preference aside, I was like "Bro (actually, Brodette, it was a woman singer), it's 5:45 in the morning. A little early to be thinking about alcohol. And legit the last thing I want to think about while on a run is smoking." Oi.

Never too early to think about your post run beer ;)

Curious about this - how are you defining shuffler?

I'm using this as a reference: http://www.triradar.com/training-advice/triathlon-running-gazelle-and-glider-styles/

I define the shuffler (glider) as the one who doesn't pick up their knees when running. I know from watching videos (and shadow) of myself that I definitely barely cross my knees from center of mass from running. My foot also doesn't make it that far ahead of my body and I tend to compensate with a faster turnover. I actually want to video me doing 5 min/mile pace because I'd love to see how that looks as well.

Aaaaah, new shoes. So I pranced on in to the running store this weekend (read: it took two attempts to get there, because our kiddo decided she was not having it on Saturday afternoon, so we had to change plans and get her home for a nap... this stage of toddlerhood is fun, guys.). I brought the Saucony's I've been running so that they could see the wear patterns, and explained what's going on with my heels. I tried on a whole bunch of options and was really torn between the Saucony Kinvara 8s and the New Balance W1400 V5s. I ended up going with the NBs, though I'm tempted to see if I can grab the Kinvara 7s on sale as an alternative shoe. I liked the heel cushion of the Kinvara's better, but the NB seemed to promote a more efficient run, which pulls me off my heel faster. I read a few reviews later, and found out that they have a bigger drop than my Zealots (8 mm vs. 3.5), which might explain why I felt like the impact is different. I have never run in shoes with that big of a drop, so I'll want to see how this plays out.

First run in them was today. They're light. They absorb shock pretty well, though they're definitely responsive. I took them on a hilly route to put the through the paces (pun intended). Blissfully, my heels don't hurt! It is my first run in weeks where I can say that. Today was also the first run with strides/fartleks (snicker). I LOVED the strides! I had so much fun going fast for a few seconds! WHEEEE! LOOK AT ME!!!!! And the shoes felt especially great at speed. I did go too fast, again, and there were a few instances where I started to feel a little breathy, which seems to be a more reliable indicator than my watch is that I'm working too hard. I'm still working on slowing down, but newly comfortable heels definitely didn't help : )

Stats: 3.03 miles, 40:03 (13:22/mi)

Last edited:
PS - Kinvara 7 on sale on running warehouse .com with coupon code "FBD15". Just saying.... :D My advice, set a price alert to your email, and when it drops one more time - BUY! It'll likely be the last price drop based on past experience. If history holds, it should be in the next few days/weeks.

PS - Kinvara 7 on sale on running warehouse .com with coupon code "FBD15". Just saying.... :D My advice, set a price alert to your email, and when it drops one more time - BUY! It'll likely be the last price drop based on past experience. If history holds, it should be in the next few days/weeks.
Sweet! Reminder set. Thanks for the heads up.

Price drop is soon as I received an alert about 2 hrs ago that it happened on the Mens shoes, but it isn't reflected on the website yet. So be ready because they have a tendency to go fast if it is indeed the last price drop (which is dictated by supply I believe).

Today's run was one of the first times I ran more than a few minutes in real rain. I love the rain, but the jury is still out about how much I love running in it. I had a hard time finding my groove today. I tried a RunDisney playlist (thanks @roxymama for the tip!), which felt appropriate because I'm definitely counting down the days to my first ever trip to WDW next week.

Anyways, I don't know if it was just the rain, or the "cumulative fatigue," or breaking in new shoes, or something entirely different (we've had a weird week this week), but I just never felt super locked in during the run. That's ok. Not every one is going to be fantastic. Was scheduled to do 3 miles at EB + Strides. Did 3.04, with splits of 13:31, 13:08 (much of this mile is downhill), and 12:34 (strides during this mile). Still a little on the faster-than-scheduled side. I knew it, too, but I was wet and cold and just wanted to keep moving. Tomorrow is supposed to be my EA pace, so I'll definitely be relaxing, even if it is raining.

I will say, my heels feel much better in these NB shoes. I'm hoping the Kinvara 7s I ordered yesterday (thanks again for the tip, @DopeyBadger) will get here before we leave for WDW.

Stats: 3.04 miles, 39:45 (13:04/mi).

Uneventful run today. Switched the order of my route just to change things up. Gorgeous sunrise. Still went too fast, but it really did feel nice and easy (was scheduled for EA at 14:56 but ran 13:34 - splits were 14:11, 13:42, 12:47, 14:42 for the last .05). Heels feel good, I think the new shoes were a good choice. Looks like the Kinvara's aren't going to get here before we leave, but that's ok.

Today I need to figure out how I'm going to fit next week's running in with park days. I'm mostly worried about Friday, since it's a MK day and I want to make sure I feel good for all that walking. A good problem to have : )

Stats: 3.05 miles, 41:19 (13:34/mi)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter