what about this Hurricane Michelle?

violet13

Mouseketeer
We are planning on leaving for Florida in a few days, now I hear this Hurricane is expected to reach Florida by the weekend....It's scary enough coming to a big city with Terrorist attacks forcast, now we have to worry about a Hurricane also! For all the Florida residents out there, how often do these Hurricanes bother the Orlando area?? Isn't it common for them to spawn tornadoes throughout the state? Thank you.

For an idea of how to track Hurricane Michelle, CLICK HERE

I just wanted to tell you that I went down to Orlando in October 1999 for a week when a hurricane hit and it was fine. Most of the rides are indoors and honestly, the rain kept most of the people OUT of the parks!

Have fun and here's hoping Michelle stays OUT of Orlando... :)

Take heart...Michelle is still a long way off and they really don't know what she's going to do. I know at Disney, they have only closed once ever for a hurricane, so that might give you a good idea of how central florida handles them. It's my observation that while yes, sometimes there is a threat of tornadoes...the risk seems to be higher near the coast, and the ones that are generally spawned from a storm like this tend to be waterspouts or smaller tornadoes...they aren't the F5's that you've seen in Twister! This is what I tell my son, anyway!:confused:

Somtimes too, if the coast is evacuated...you see more people at the nightspots (Jellyrolls, etc), weathering out the hurricane by having some fun...
Michelle also seems to be moving pretty slowly at this point, so I would expect that around Monday or so, whatever effect it's going to have on Orlando, that's about when it will be...

Get some ponchos and enjoy the low crowds at the parks! ;)

Karen

Monday or so is exactly when we will be arriving in Orlando and planning to hit 3 parks in 4 days. This just doesn't sound good at all to me. After driving for 18 hours with 4 kids, I mean this is the ONE and ONLY big vacation we will probably ever take, maybe I should cancel.... I will be furious if we spend all this money and all this time driving to be there during a tornado or hurricane. What would you do if you were me?

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND RELAX. IT WILL BE OK. RIGHT NOW MICHELLE IS STILL A TROPICAL STORM (NOT A HURRICANE YET) AND THEY ARE SO UNPREDICTABLE THERE IS NO TELLING WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. SHE MIGHT NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO FLORIDA. SPEAKING AS SOMEONE WHO HAS WAITED OUT MANY HURRICANES, I SAY THE BEST THING TO DO IS NOT PANIC. GO ON YOUR TRIP AND HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME. WE WILL BE LEAVING TOMORROW MORNING FOR OUR TRIP AND I THINK EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.

I sure wouldn't worry about it. It most likely will be a Category 3 or 4 hurricane when it makes landfall, which IS severe. However it is currently expected to make landfall somewhere south of Sarasota, possibly going through the Florida straight and missing us all together. The risk for damage and tornados is mainly confined to the coastal area where the eye makes landfall. Even if worse came to worse and it made landfall in Tampa and cut across the state, by the time it made it to Orlando much of it's punch would be gone.

Overall, it's still to early to speculate. Being from Tampa and owning a business involving boats, we are VERY nervous right now. By tomorrow afternoon things should be more certain. I would not hesitate to go on with the trip though. I would plan on hitting USF (the most indoor attractions) on the day that Michelle effects the area. It should be a one day thing at most!

Jim

Just wanted to add, for the latest charts, forecasts and updates, check out the official Hurricane Center website at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov . It is updated immediatly with every official advisory.

Jim

Please understand, if it was just me and my husband I wouldn't care about this, but we are bringing 4 kids to these parks AND a stroller for a 4 month old baby. these parks are only open from 9- 5 and IF it rains all day, I will be furiuous!!!!! It cost this family OVER $200 a day to visit these parks. If that thing is anywhere near Florida, it will cause Rain everywhere, right? I am going to check Orland's extended forcast. I don;t have anything to protect the double stroller from rain. This trip could be a nightmare, we only have 4 days to visit these parks. We don't have time to wait the storms out. And we'll never get this opportunity again. So maybe we should plan another time. I still want advice though...now more about how long Rain lasts when these storms are in the area... Thanks..

I don't know what to tell you right now because as anywhere, the weather is not an exact science! Right now Michelle looks to be heading in a north/easterly direction, and may scrape the keys/Southern Florida...but that can change...it may hit harder...or it may miss Fl completely. The chance of there being rain at some point as it goes by is pretty much a guarantee, I'd think. That said...you can't take 4 days, and pick another time when you can guarantee you won't get rain. I was here one year for a visit for over a week when it rained almost constantly...we were waterlogged, but it was the funnest trip I EVER had! There was no Hurricane or TS involved that trip, either. Now I know everyone wants perfect weather, but the best advice anyone can give, and that you should take, is to do your best to stop worrying about it, and go for it. If you're worried about your stroller getting wet (most of them should be able to get wet without being ruined), then rent strollers at the park, or pick up a cheapo umbrella strolller...or something like that? But like I said...you could pick another 4 days and run into worse problems....I wouldn't cancel, personally...but if you'll LET rain ruin your trip, maybe it's best for you.

Definitely check out that site someone gave the link for...but don't obsess over it right now because it could go almost anywhere at this point.

My advise for people who are planning to come to Florida would be to avoid Hurricane season...and avoid summer altogether, if rain is going to ruin it for you...and even then...well, it still could! Don't LET it! :)
Good luck...and relax!!!
Karen

In Florida there is always a good chance that you will get rain sometime during your vacation. So plan ahead for rain and have a good time.
Buy ponchos at your local Dollar store instead of at the theme parks for $5+ and pack lots of Ziplock baggies and a few plastic garbage bags. Pack extra clothes in Ziplock baggies and load the storage of your stroller.
Rain at theme parks is not an altogether bad thing, as long as you come prepared. The rain thins out the crowd, cools down the temperature and lowers the humidity. If you are prepared and can stand a little bad weather, You can have a great time.
HAVE FUN

well that is a lot of advice:
When it makes land fall it will have an effect. most of the gulf storms keep moving while over water so the chance it it just sitting and pounding the gulf coast with wind and waves is small. the chance of storms being driven inland toward orlando are fair. we will probably experience the feeder band rains from the outer swirling arms. You will probably experience rain but no one can tell you more than 48 to 36 hours in advance and be close to correct. universal has plenty of inside attractions and get the ponchos and have fun:)

Originally posted by MIB999999
we will probably experience the feeder band rains from the outer swirling arms

Yeah, that's what I MEANT to say!!!

LOL - been in Florida long, MIB???;)

Karen

Originally posted by jtopicz1
I sure wouldn't worry about it. It most likely will be a Category 3 or 4 hurricane when it makes landfall, which IS severe. However it is currently expected to make landfall somewhere south of Sarasota, possibly going through the Florida straight and missing us all together

OH Great! That would be where I live!

I just watched some local news & they still have no idea which direction it will go! It's already pretty windy here & expected to get even more windy over the weekend. We'll see!!

Hehe, sorry Cheryl, hopefully all of you in South Florida will luck out. We're actually getting kind of worried about this one now. The latest forecast calls for the storm to have winds as high as 130MPH within 72 hours.

We own and operate several charter fishing boats in Clearwater, so this can always have quite an impact on us. Hopefully the storm will curve enough and pass south of Florida all together.

Jim

Originally posted by jtopicz1
Hehe, sorry Cheryl, hopefully all of you in South Florida will luck out. We're actually getting kind of worried about this one now. The latest forecast calls for the storm to have winds as high as 130MPH within 72 hours.
Jim

Wouldn't be nice if we could just blow it way over across the Arabian Sea to Afghanistan!!! A nice big strong Category 5!!!!

a few years ago we went to WDW and US in Sept. There was a tropical storm somewhere in the Caribbean. However!!! we got rained on for 5 days. It was not fun. We cut our trip short and went home. It seemed that the morning it was fine until 11:00 am and then oh boy look out. It absolutely poured all day,

We had to buy new sneakers because the 2 pairs we bought for each person was so waterlogged, they never dried out. They actually made the hotel room smell. I do not know why everyone says rain is fun, it is not!!! I understand you cannot guarantee the weather and you have to expect some rain, but not every day. Even though most attractions are inside, you still have to walk outside to get from one to another.

Having a stroller is going to be difficult in the rain. If it was me, I would wait through the weekend and if the update is still that it will hit south FLorida, I would stay home and reschedule. That is only my opinion though.

I have to say minijeanie's post made me feel ALOT better about my descion, I keep going back and forth back and forth, should we have canceled, will we regret it. At least we have April to look forward to now, it's only 5 months away...and we didn't loose a dime rescheduling either, even got the same great rate for our hotel. Sorry to hear abour your expericene though.

violet

Not that I want ANYONE to have bad weather, but if you were that indecisive, then I am glad you went and cancelled. So glad to hear you were able to reschedule with the same rates. Believe me, the last thing you want are soaked strollers. (ugh). I have gone to FL before in November and it was just fine. Weather in the 70's and sunny with just one day of rain.

As far as the hurricane goes, even the weatherman cannot predict where and if Michelle will hit. I hope FL gets spared. We will just have to see. I think you made a wise decision.

Needless to say, we watched WX Channel everyday to track Michelle.

Weather all alst week in orlando was awesome.
And while there were windy conditions, and some clouds now and then, and the customary 2 minutes downpour some afternoons, I leave you with this:

All the forecasters were showing that the Hurricane would drift off to the northeast, away from Orlando.

The 10-day forecast for Orlando shows highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's. I'm sure you'll get some wind, but it actually felt nice.

I guess what I'm trying to say is....Go, don't worry, and have a nice time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter