What analysis would you like to see?

I'd like to know how regular Disney vacations with DVC while your kids are in the house impact your college savings. If you set aside the money into a college fund, how much student loan debt would your kids avoid? Likewise, retirement savings - if I bought DVC at X age, with park tickets and a reasonable dining allowance, how much less would I have in my retirement accounts.
That’s why I never purchased when my child was young. We could not have done both. My daughter graduated with no loans for college and a car.

Once I retired and our financial situation was better I purchased DVC and I am able to also fund my granddaughter’s 529 plan.

That’s why I never purchased when my child was young. We could not have done both. My daughter graduated with no loans for college and a car.
Did you not otherwise take vacations to save for college?

I am definitely in favor of fiscal responsibility but found the question you’re replying to quite strange. DVC (and all Disney trips worldwide) fall into the travel column in our budget spreadsheets and our kids’ college and retirement savings have their own separate columns. I presume the vast majority of people aren’t considering them interchangeable.

The only reason there is any overlap is having DVC points slightly lowers our retirement savings target because we will spend (slightly) less on taking our kids and grandkids to WDW with our (paid off) DVC points.

Did you not otherwise take vacations to save for college?

I am definitely in favor of fiscal responsibility but found the question you’re replying to quite strange. DVC (and all Disney trips worldwide) fall into the travel column in our budget spreadsheets and our kids’ college and retirement savings have their own separate columns. I presume the vast majority of people aren’t considering them interchangeable.

The only reason there is any overlap is having DVC points slightly lowers our retirement savings target because we will spend (slightly) less on taking our kids and grandkids to WDW with our (paid off) DVC points.
Very limited number of vacations. Mostly within driving distance although we took 3 trips to Disney.

Most of that was not for financial reasons but my wife had some health issues.

Very limited number of vacations. Mostly within driving distance although we took 3 trips to Disney.

Most of that was not for financial reasons but my wife had some health issues.
I didn’t mean to single you out, sorry if it came across that way. I meant that most people are not actually choosing between DVC and savings so much as DVC and other splurges.

I hope your wife is feeling better.

I didn’t mean to single you out, sorry if it came across that way. I meant that most people are not actually choosing between DVC and savings so much as DVC and other splurges.

I hope your wife is feeling better.
Don't worry I was not offended. I am extremely transparent, so I have no problem answering questions.

I basically say this is what I did, and this is why I did it.

My wife's health is not good, but she has as strong a pain tolerance than any person I know.

The structure of WDW is good for us because unlike many other vacation locations you can move at a speed that works for you. I can get up and going and my wife can meet me when she wants and return when she wants.

Do you have evidence for that?
As I mentioned, in my own experience DVC is budgeted entirely out of our travel budget (and this year partly out of an inheritance). You’ll have to take my word for it that we are also saving aggressively for retirement and kids’ college funds.

If you mean generally do I have evidence that most people spending $10k a year on DVC would not otherwise be putting that $10k in an IRA or 529, but instead spending it on an luxury car lease, or hotel stay at WDW, or RV, or Taylor Swift tickets, I would refer you generally to the data on US household savings v consumption.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how regular Disney vacations with DVC while your kids are in the house impact your college savings. If you set aside the money into a college fund, how much student loan debt would your kids avoid? Likewise, retirement savings - if I bought DVC at X age, with park tickets and a reasonable dining allowance, how much less would I have in my retirement accounts.
You don't need me for this, just Google "Future Value Calculator". Put in the cost of a DVC contract as the starting value. Add up your expected annual costs (DVC dues, tickets, dining, etc.) and enter those as the payment (PMT). Choose how many years to accumulate (e.g., the years you have remaining until kid goes to college, or years remaining to retirement). Finally, choose what rate of return you expect to earn. The calculated future value is your opportunity cost of spending money on DVC vacations.

While this figure is interesting to calculate, it's not that helpful on its own as you'll probably still be spending money on vacations otherwise. The cool thing is you can use this same method to compare alternative options. IMO DVC only makes sense financially if you already find yourself/plan on vacationing on property at Disney regularly. There are plenty of cheaper options out there and skipping a vacation here or there to put more money towards savings goals is a lot easier than trying to rent out your points.

You don't need me for this, just Google "Future Value Calculator". Put in the cost of a DVC contract as the starting value. Add up your expected annual costs (DVC dues, tickets, dining, etc.) and enter those as the payment (PMT). Choose how many years to accumulate (e.g., the years you have remaining until kid goes to college, or years remaining to retirement). Finally, choose what rate of return you expect to earn. The calculated future value is your opportunity cost of spending money on DVC vacations.

While this figure is interesting to calculate, it's not that helpful on its own as you'll probably still be spending money on vacations otherwise. The cool thing is you can use this same method to compare alternative options. IMO DVC only makes sense financially if you already find yourself/plan on vacationing on property at Disney regularly. There are plenty of cheaper options out there and skipping a vacation here or there to put more money towards savings goals is a lot easier than trying to rent out your points.

I'm an accountant. I have done that. Like everything here that is something anyone with a few business classes behind them should be able to do.

And maybe you'll spend money on vacations otherwise. But you know, maybe you'd buy a resort that isn't the best deal even after running the numbers. Or maybe you'd pay cash even after running the numbers - or maybe after running the numbers on cash vs. DVC you remember you can save a bundle by staying offsite. Around here we tend to believe that 1) we go on fairly expensive vacations every year (and many of us do, but honestly, from a future financial security standpoint, many of us probably shouldn't) and 2) that those vacations will be centered on Disney. I think people should question both of those assumptions when they make a purchase decision - but I am, and always have been, financially conservative.

As I mentioned, in my own experience DVC is budgeted entirely out of our travel budget (and this year partly out of an inheritance). You’ll have to take my word for it that we are also saving aggressively for retirement and kids’ college funds.

If you mean generally do I have evidence that most people spending $10k a year on DVC would not otherwise be putting that $10k in an IRA or 529, but instead spending it on an luxury car lease, or hotel stay at WDW, or RV, or Taylor Swift tickets, I would refer you generally to the data on US household savings v consumption.

EXACTLY....U.S. savings rates suck and we are in for a world of hurt when Social Security collapses and all those people who haven't saved for retirement hit retirement age. Moreover, twenty years of anecdotal evidence on this board has led me to believe that while many of us can afford DVC, many of us can't.

My point isn't "are you choosing Taylor Swift tickets or DVC" its "should you be putting money aside for your/your children's future rather than spending so much on splurges at all." Saying that "people will do it anyway" isn't helping anyone, except those that can afford it. And for those that can afford it - it doesn't make any difference if they buy the best value resort or not - anyone for whom choice in resorts makes a difference in affordability CAN'T afford it.

EXACTLY....U.S. savings rates suck and we are in for a world of hurt when Social Security collapses and all those people who haven't saved for retirement hit retirement age. Moreover, twenty years of anecdotal evidence on this board has led me to believe that while many of us can afford DVC, many of us can't.

My point isn't "are you choosing Taylor Swift tickets or DVC" its "should you be putting money aside for your/your children's future rather than spending so much on splurges at all." Saying that "people will do it anyway" isn't helping anyone, except those that can afford it. And for those that can afford it - it doesn't make any difference if they buy the best value resort or not - anyone for whom choice in resorts makes a difference in affordability CAN'T afford it.
What does any of that have to do with the analysis on DVC analytics sites?

Would I be thrilled if more Americans (and our federal government) were more financially responsible? Of course. But as someone who is very fortunate, I am reluctant to judge others who have more trade offs and frankly, I think reasonable minds can differ as to whether maxing out multiple 529s is actually a better use of money than creating family memories with an annual vacation. Unfortunately, it appears that Disney is going to keep on ratcheting up prices as long as it can pack the parks, but DVC itself is not that extravagant of a splurge if you buy an older resort resale and avoid peak seasons.

I only been active on these boards for the past year, but I haven’t heard a single person say “I could buy this contract or I could max out my 401(k),” but even assuming one or two such people exist, there are already extensive financial projections available showing the true cost of ownership (with various assumptions about the time value of money and potential returns on your money spent for the buy-in). It would be a waste of @Galactic Reversal’s time to try to separately make the same calculations with various hypotheticals for pre-tax, Roth, and taxable savings accounts.

Last edited:
I'm an accountant. I have done that. Like everything here that is something anyone with a few business classes behind them should be able to do.

And maybe you'll spend money on vacations otherwise. But you know, maybe you'd buy a resort that isn't the best deal even after running the numbers. Or maybe you'd pay cash even after running the numbers - or maybe after running the numbers on cash vs. DVC you remember you can save a bundle by staying offsite. Around here we tend to believe that 1) we go on fairly expensive vacations every year (and many of us do, but honestly, from a future financial security standpoint, many of us probably shouldn't) and 2) that those vacations will be centered on Disney. I think people should question both of those assumptions when they make a purchase decision - but I am, and always have been, financially conservative.
So, in case it wasn’t clear, what I was looking for were ideas for DVC analysis that I am uniquely positioned to answer because I’ve amassed quite a bit of data and have an actuarial background. It seems like rather than a useful suggestion, you came here to push an agenda of shaming people for buying DVC under the assumption that they’re being irresponsible
with their money. If you have the know-how and the motivation, feel free to start your own blog.

EXACTLY....U.S. savings rates suck and we are in for a world of hurt when Social Security collapses and all those people who haven't saved for retirement hit retirement age.
Also, if anyone would like to read the facts about the state of the Social Security in the U.S., head over to the Office of the Chief Actuary SSA website for a wealth of resources. The 2023 Summary is a good read and will dispel the false narrative that SS is going to "collapse". It's true that due to less SSA income, the OASI Trust Fund (the one that funds the retirement benefits most people think of) reserves are projected to be depleted beginning in 2033. However, at that point projected benefits are expected to be reduced by at least 23% and at most 29% over the 75 year projection.

"The Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) Trust Fund will be able to pay 100 percent of total scheduled benefits until 2033, one year earlier than reported last year. At that time, the fund's reserves will become depleted and continuing program income will be sufficient to pay 77 percent of scheduled benefits."

Further there are many ideas that have been suggested to lawmakers to either increase revenue or reduce benefits and correct the projected fund depletion. If you want to influence what will happen with social security, please educate yourself using the links above and call/write your representatives!

We bought points as an add on to my parents contract for cash on our first wedding anniversary. We often stayed with them, shared 2 bedroom rooms. When the kids came along that investment meant we spent family time together and annual passes allowed for yearly trips that had admission every other year. We sold because in 2019 I had a stroke and lost use of my left side. We did not consider that Disney has more accessible options than many other travel options. Now we have 2 in college, living at home and one out on her own. They were offered live at home and community college the first two years and finish in state and they will graduate debt free.

I really enjoy the "Price Trends By Resort" page on your site. It'd be handy to have a way to filter that list by ranges like contract size so I can dial in on what I might be able to target for say a 100 pt contract. If that's possible, that'd be interesting. Thanks for doing that site!

I really enjoy the "Price Trends By Resort" page on your site. It'd be handy to have a way to filter that list by ranges like contract size so I can dial in on what I might be able to target for say a 100 pt contract. If that's possible, that'd be interesting. Thanks for doing that site!
This is a great idea (though I am indefinitely out of the buying DVC game...), I also think it would be interesting to see a trend of relative pricing between small contracts (100 points or less), medium contracts (101-200/250), and large contracts (201/251+) over time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter