What are the best resorts and best attractions for couple with no kids?

marriedmarylander

DIS Veteran
We were thinking of the Animal Lodge to stay?

Also, is Pleasure Island fun or is it kind of lame? Also what are the dress codes? Can we wear jeans and can my husband wear Timberland boots.

I would definitely recommend a moderate or above resort. DH and I did the All Stars thing which was okay, but for us, the moderate was fabulous. Much more quiet and secluded. We stayed at POFQ and loved it last time. This trip we're trying Caribbean Beach and have only heard good things so far. I have also only heard rave reviews of AKL so I wouldn't worry about that one at all!

As far as attractions, just do whatever appeals to you! My husband likes the classics and roller coasters. I love all the kiddie rides like Small World, Peter Pan and Pooh. Do whatever you want and have a ball! Going to Disney as a couple with no kids can be a blast! Check out the nice restaurants, look at all the hotels, find all the romantic things to do, eat in the castle, see all the nighttime shows, etc. You'll have a great time! (We haven't been to Pleasure Island yet, so I don't know about it.)

I agree about the avoiding All Stars. I stayed at ASMusic once, and I felt like I was staying in a college dorm. OK if you're that age, but not for this 52 yo with college-aged children. Maybe it was the time of year (no school), but I wouldn't chance it.

I concur ...moderate or dee luxe. ASMu was college -y over MLK week(end). Of course I'll take the college kids over the high schoolers any day.

One key to maximum adult enjoyment is to not focus so hard on being an adult. Just relax and let your imagination go...don't try and figure out how they did it or how you can tell it isn't real. I even went to the Bear in the Big Blue House show by myself and enjoyed it (warning...you have to sit on the floor). In EPCOT go ahead, play the games and feel free to be as silly as you want. MGM...scream your head off...why not. It's kind of like Las Vegas...what happens in Orlando stays in Orlando.

The other key by night realize you don't have to drive. Just hop on a bus at 2AM and be happy.

Welcome to the DIS, MarriedMarylander! :wave:

One of my favorite adult experiences at Disney World is Jellyrolls, a dueling piano bar at the Boardwalk. The piano players there are fantastic, and it is a lot of fun to sing along at the top of my lungs all night! Everyone I've talked into going to Jellyrolls has loved it, and become repeat visitors :)

Karen

I'd recommend staying at one of the deluxe resorts, like the Wilderness Lodge, the Polynesian, the Yacht Club or the Boardwalk. You could also stay at the Floridian or Contemporary, but I would request the concierge level for a bit more quiet.

DH and I loved All Star Movies and POP Century for the price (and we a fiftyish childfree couple), but our favorite resort is the Dolphin--we love the Heavenly Beds, the fact that there are eight restaurants in the hotel, the great deals we can get (less than $150/night), and most of all, the proximity to Epcot.

From the Dolphin, you can walk or take a boat ride to Epcot, take a boat ride to MGM, or take buses to the other parks (or, if you're like us, you'll just walk to Epcot and take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom). The Boardwalk is also right across the lagoon (quick walk or boat ride).

We have so much fun in the parks that we've never made it to Pleasure Island, despite our best intentions of going to the Adventurers Club! (Now that I've learned the clubs are non-smoking, though, I'll be sure to hit the AC soon).

Where you stay depends on your budget. The value resorts are in your face fun. The moderate resorts a bit more restrained and huge (POFQ, which is part of POR, is a bit smaller) and the deluxe resorts a bit more elegant and smaller, but still fun.

I started out at Yacht Club (concierge), then Coronado Springs, than Pop Century. Hey, it's what fits the budget! :confused3

If you stay at Pop Century and want a quieter area, ask for the 50s building facing Hourglass Lake. You would be facing the unfinisihed portion of PC, but it has been painted to blend with the landscape. You also have a view of the fireworks from IllumiNations! I was in Building 3 (Building C on the signs). I was there 9 nights in December with families on each side of me, and never heard a peep from them when they were in the rooms. The All Star resorts have a reputation for inadequate soundproofing between rooms.

POFQ was renovated in 2004 and looks very romantic. If this is a romantic trip, and it fits the budget, that would be my choice. Loved Coronado Springs. It's a convention resort and is huge. If you decide to stay there, study the resort map in advance and select two or three areas that are acceptable to you, then push the CM at check in to find you a room in those areas. I faxed my room request, but the only thing they honored was the non-smoking. I specifically did not want to be in Ranchos (I live in a real desert--don't want to stay in a faux desert in the middle of Florida!) which is where they kept trying to put me. Another CM rescued me and found me a lovely room in Cabanas B--near Bus Stop 4. Perfect location for me.

In the parks, don't worry about being "adult". Go on all rides that appeal to you, as long as you don't have physical issues with them. Just concentrate on relaxing and having fun. You're at WDW--you're allowed to be young regardless of your chronological age! :)

Forgot about Pleasure Island! You can stroll through without making a commitment to go into clubs. I've only been into a couple, but the one I really enjoyed was the Adventurer's Club! Spent most of the evening there with a group of about 30 people. They do have bottled water available, as well as soft drinks, for anyone who doesn't care for alcohol. They are known for their Kungaloosh (rum based, I think) drinks!

I'm not into loud music or comedy clubs, so the rest of PI didn't appeal to me. AC was fun, though! :)

::yes:: I would suggest a moderate or deluxe resort to stay in. If you do decied to stay at AKL you will love it. In my opinion, it is very hard to choose wrong at WDW. PI is a lot of fun!!! We always enjoy the clubs and live music at midnight. From my expirience it is pretty casual when it comes to dress code, we wore jeans a couple of nights and one night dressed up a little more as if we wre going out. Either way we did not feal out of place, it's a very relaxed, enjoyable atmosphere. ;)

I have stayed at all types of resorts with adults. Yes, at Value Resorts there seems to be more opportunity for larger groups of children at WDW for a special event (PoP Warner Cheerleading and Football comes to mind in December). Ask for a room in a quiet part of the resort when you check, let the Cast Member know that you have adults and want more quiet. For moderate resorts - especially with pools that you can swim in I personally like Corrando Springs (ask for room near quiet pool and health club) and Port Orleans Riverside - the Magnolia Bend part not the Bayou part.

Another fun thing to do is take one of the tours designed for adults. And of course the ability to jump in the single rider line for Rock N Roller Coaster :flower:

Have fun, WDW is all about escaping from reality.

Pop Century is cute! and there are generally less children here - although don't fool yourself all WDW resorts will have children - lots of children.

OKW probably the fewest. It is designed like a town - not a hotel. So it is does not appeal to lots of folks.

It was Disney's first venture into timeshares and in my opinion, the best....

there now are also BWV, BCV, VWL and the new SSR.

now lots of DVC members do have children - but even more don't - they are single adults, couples with children - either because they don't have them yet - or they are grandparents.

Anyway the less kids I have seem have been at a DVC resort.

I haven't stayed at AKL yet - but I hope to shortly!

DH and I (no kids) like POR, CS, or any of Boardwalk area resorts (for location). Pleasure Island is great! A must for us on every trip...and there is no written dress code. Whatever you would wear to a Disney park is ok.

DH and I loved POFQ, but the GF is our favorite!!!

POFQ was a beautiful, smaller resort. Everything was close and our room was beautifully decorated. GF is just magical. We love the "small things" at the GF, such as roll down service, the mini-bar...ya know, the things that if you don't know about them, you don't miss them, but if you do know about them, they make all the difference in the world.

DH and I have no kids (we are early 40s) and we go to WDW every year (going twice this year, thanks to APs). We have stayed at POFQ, the Poly and CBR, love them all.

Some of our favorite things to do:

1. Backstage Tours: We did Keys to the Kingdom (must be 16 or over, I think) and there were no kids at all. It was so fun getting to know the others in our group of 17, and our guide Rae was fabulous. In May we are doing Hidden Treasures of the World Showcase.

2. WDW Lounges: We particularly enjoy the resort restaurants, and we always arrive an hour early before 'Ohana or Boma to enjoy the fabulous drinks and atmosphere at the Tambu Lounge and Victoria Falls.

We usually go back to our resort to enjoy a poolside drink in the afternoon. The Banana Cabana at CBR is my favorite pool bar.

3. Food & Wine Festival: This is our all-time favorite. The festival expands every year. We sample our way around the World Showcase enjoying foods and adult beverages from all over the globe.

Disney is DEFINITELY for adults, too!

My husband and I did the Segway tour on our last visit. It was a blast.
We are DVC members without kids and usually stay at Boardwalk Villas. However, I have found that it doesn't matter where you stay (even All Stars) as long as you are at WDW!

JuJu, would you recomend the Segway tour, and if so why? Have any other suggestions for another PNWer :umbrella: w/ out kids to do at Disney? We just returned a week ago from a trip to WDW but already planning our return for either Nov or Jan. Any ideas would be apreciated! :)

What exactly is the Segway Tour? When we were at Epcot I saw a guy on one and was wondering what you have to do to be able to do that.

I would definitely recommend the AKL! That's where we stayed on our honeymoon, and it was fantastic. The theming, the savannah, Victoria Falls lounge, everything was great! It felt very grown up and very romantic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter