What are we celebrating? Everthing! A January 2018 Trip Report - THE END - New TR link added

Sorry for the lull in trip reporting. I was the latest person in the office last week who got sick. We seem to just be passing around germs in this place, so I was down for the count for several days. And then my brother-in-law's mom passed away. She had been sick for a long time, but it was still very sad. In the last 14 months, our family has lost my mom, Tony's mom and now Jason's mom. This horrible dark cloud needs to move on. But the trip report presses on!!!

When we last left off, the original gangster and I had a meet and greet with Buzz and Woody. Once we got out of that area, I realized that Hollywood Studios was not really crowded that day. Our next FP+ was for the Muppets, but as we made our way over there (we were super early since TSM was down) we were able to just walk right into the show. So we did. There was still about five minutes left of the pre-show and then we went into the main theater for the show. I have seen it numerous times before but the silly 3D effects and corny jokes are right up my alley.

After Muppets, we had a super long gap until our next FP+, but still had the bonus FP since TSM was down. I whipped out my phone to see what might be available. Now keep in mind that neither Tony or I are Star Wars fans (I know - almost unheard of, but true), so none of those rides/attractions interested us. But I do enjoy some shows with singing involved. Click, click, click and we're going to Frozen! But on our way, I saw a line forming. It was either for food or a character meet. Lucky for me it was a character!

HS Goofy.jpg

Yes, in case you were wondering. It was still cold. Goofy was charming and after meeting him, we moved onto Frozen Sing-A-Long. We stayed in our ECV's and were ushered to seats front and center. We could not have asked for a better spot. Now I would like to apologize to anyone who was there and heard me sing. Yes, I knew all the words to all the songs. And yes, I sang loud and proud. And really badly!!!

Frozen 1.jpg

Frozen 2.jpg

Frozen 3.jpg

Frozen 4.jpg

Frozen 5.jpg

I really enjoyed the show and the "snow" at the end. After it was over, it was getting close for Tony to do his next FP attraction. If you remember from earlier posts I #1 - am afraid of heights and #2 - do not like rides that have the opportunity to make me hurl. So I sent Tony on his way to ride Tower of Terror. I just hung out by the exit doing some people watching and trying to find the next FP+ I wanted. Tony came out and passed on the option to use my magic band and ride Tower of Terror again. He said that he liked the ride, but not enough to go two times in a row. That's fine, because we were very close to our next - and last - attraction for the day. Beauty and the Beast!! Before we headed that way, I used a couple of snack credits and got us two hot chocolates. They really hit the spot. The sun was going down, and well, you know the rest. Here are some pictures from Beauty and the Beast.

B&B 1.jpg

B&B 2.jpg

B&B 3.jpg

B&B 5.jpg

Being right down front really did give us the best view of the show. Again, my apologies to anyone who heard me sing. After Beauty and the Beast, we started to head out of the park. We had a dinner reservation that was going to have us experience a couple of new things - the friendship boat and a new resort. Where were we headed?? Stay tuned . . .

Sorry you've been sick! That's no fun, but it sounds like it was a fun day at Hollywood Studios. Sorry about Toy Story being down. Your photos are gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing where you guys were heading to eat! I want to guess, but I really have no clue, and I'm not going to cheat by returning to your pre-trip report. So many restaurants to choose from in the Boardwalk area.

P.S. And very sorry for your family's loss. I hope your BIL is doing okay.

After our day at Hollywood Studios, Tony and I meandered down the main street taking a last look at the store front windows, stopped for a quick bathroom break and headed towards the Friendship Boats. This was a mode of transportation that I had never had the opportunity to use. The sun had started to set and it was really a beautiful scene of the boat on the water. We waited in line for the next boat to arrive, which was not a very long wait. The boat had an outside and inside area, but as the theme continued for this vacation, it was freezing. Again. The boat captain dude put out a little ramp and Tony and I rolled on and parked in the well heated area of the boat. I was glad for the warmth, but really wished we could be outside. We were sailing by resorts that I had never seen up close and personal before, and no pictures taken thru the window were going to come out. We went by the Swan, Dolphin and Boardwalk to our ultimate destination - Yacht/Beach Club.

Insert ooh's and aah's right here. We have arrived!!!

BC 5.jpg

BC 3.jpg

BC 4.jpg

We got dropped off at the lighthouse, which was at the Yacht Club, and turned right to follow the path to the Beach Club. I really wish it was day time. And warmer. Much, much warmer. What we were able to see was just beautiful. I'm a simple girl with "value resort" taste and has never ventured over to the deluxe area. It was something to see. After a few minutes we had arrived at the Yacht Club and went inside.

Wow. It was just, so, wow. I felt so fancy.

BC 1.jpg

We checked in for dinner at Cape May Café (I assume you had guessed that by now!). This was a meal both Tony and I were excited about. We enjoy our seafood, and this meal was a perfect example of why the dining plan worked for us. To eat here out of pocket is ridiculously expensive. Throw in a couple of alcoholic beverages and it is even more expensive. We decided to drink first!

BC 7.jpg

I had the margarita and Tony had something with KY Bourbon in it. Mine was perfect. Tony's was strong. Like fall down kind of strong.

This is a seafood buffet with "regular food" mixed in. Here is the menu from online, but there is no guarantee what food will be served each evening.

CM menu.jpg

The selection of food was absolutely delicious. But this list is deceiving. There was about half of what is on the menu actually at the buffet. I enjoyed several servings of crab legs, mussels and shrimp. Tony got bits and bites of a little bit of everything. Like I said, the food was so yummy. However, they should give a better representation of what is on the buffet each night. Don't get me wrong, we ate plenty. I can tear apart some crab legs and enjoyed every bite. After eating enough to make us miserable, we ventured out in the cold back to the boat/lighthouse area to wait on our ride.

BC 6.jpg

Back to Hollywood Studios and to the busses for the ride to All-Star Movies. Our usual routine of refilling our mugs and grabbing some beverages for later and we went back to the room. Our second full day at the park was a huge success. Tomorrow was a park that I was unsure about, because I really do not like going to the zoo. But my dear husband wanted to ride a safari! We will be going to Animal Kingdom.

Oh I love the beauty and Beast show, did you enjoy it too? The songs are great.

Hope you are feeling a lot better.

Beauty and the Beast was fantastic. I sang loud and proud. And yes, I'm feeling much better!

Sorry you've been sick! That's no fun, but it sounds like it was a fun day at Hollywood Studios. Sorry about Toy Story being down. Your photos are gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing where you guys were heading to eat! I want to guess, but I really have no clue, and I'm not going to cheat by returning to your pre-trip report. So many restaurants to choose from in the Boardwalk area.

P.S. And very sorry for your family's loss. I hope your BIL is doing okay.

TSM being down was a huge bummer. I have never ridden it and had kind of been carrying on about how I was going to beat Tony and make him cry. Next time!

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Boy, it looks so cold in your pictures!

Cold. Yes, it was cold every day so far. Mother nature hates us.

Oh I can't believe you don't enjoy the zoo. We still go with my dd who's 18! She indulges her mum :thumbsup2

Hopefully AK was a whole different beast ;)

Love Cape May and the crab legs!! Those drinks look awesome! at least those warmed you guys up a little! I don't like zoos at all- I'm an animal lover and just hate to see all those caged up animals! But AK is different- I think the animal houses are probably nicer than mine! Disney takes such good care of all of them!

Another lull in the trip reporting, as I got sick. Again. This time - kidney stones. OMG. I've had them once before and it was so ridiculously awful. Two Friday's ago, I left work like normal, got my nails done and had dinner with Tony, and went to bed with no problem. About 2:00 AM, I woke up with a pain in my back like someone was stabbing me. I took some Aleve and just tried to find a somewhat comfortable spot until Tony woke up. By 7:00 AM, I couldn't take it any more and woke up Sleeping Beauty and we headed over to the ER. Even though the kidney stones were confirmed, thankfully I did not have any infection. So I got some pain medication and other meds to help "pass the stone" and I went home. Where I stayed for the next week. The stone passed, but this round came with some pretty bad nausea and associated yuckiness. I finally returned to work today and am getting caught up on 300+ e-mails and of course, my neglected trip report. I need to sort thru my Animal Kingdom pictures and get the narrative going. An update will be posted today. In the meantime, some replies!

Oh I can't believe you don't enjoy the zoo. We still go with my dd who's 18! She indulges her mum :thumbsup2

Hopefully AK was a whole different beast ;)

I have never been a zoo person. I'm really not an animal person. We don't even have any pets and when Tony comments about wanting a dog I'm all "NONONONONONO". But I really enjoyed AK.

Are you feeling better, Ruthie?

Yes, finally. It's been a rough time.

Love Cape May and the crab legs!! Those drinks look awesome! at least those warmed you guys up a little! I don't like zoos at all- I'm an animal lover and just hate to see all those caged up animals! But AK is different- I think the animal houses are probably nicer than mine! Disney takes such good care of all of them!

The drinks were so good. And yes, they warmed our tummies! AK was amazing.

So sorry you've been dealing with kidney stones. I've only had one once, but the pain was horrible. When it finally passed, the pain was so bad the thought crossed my mind that I might not survive it. A bit dramatic in hindsight, but that's how much it hurt. I think mine might have been related to the amount of coffee I drank, so I cut that almost completely out by switching to tea. I also started taking a daily marshmallow root supplement. It's supposed to soothe the urinary tract and dissolve stones. It's good for other things as well. It has been several years and so far no more stones. Knock on wood! Hopefully no more for you, too!

When our story last left off, we were getting ready to embark for Animal Kingdom. In full disclosure, I had only visited AK one time previously. It was a short visit and it was just so my brother and nephews could ride Expedition Everest and then we left. And also, I do not enjoy going to the zoo. The smells and caged up animals just bother me. So unless it is a super cute aquarium with penguins and fish, I just have no use for animals. However, when planning this trip, Tony really wanted to do an AK day. Specifically, he wanted to do the safari. I had read that the safari is best first thing in the morning, so our first FP+ of the day was - safari. We continued with our morning ritual of getting ready, refilling our mugs and catching a bus. And as the weather had been the previous days of the trip, it was cold. But not freeze your butt off, wear gloves and hats kind of cold. This was a huge accomplishment!!! We had a short wait for the bus (we were really lucky with the busses) and were whisked away to Animal Kingdom.

We went thru security and had our bags checked we were in. Since I was very unfamiliar with my surroundings and my navigation skills had been questionable at best, we got a map and asked a cast member for the general direction of Safari. And surprisingly, we were able to find it! Probably because we were about the only 20 people in the park not heading to Pandora. The FP+ line was short so we zipped right thru with a slight veer to park the ECV's. We boarded the truck and we were off. I had no idea what to expect and really was not very excited about the trip. Boy oh boy I was wrong. It was just amazing. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

AK 9.jpg

AK 1.jpg

AK 2.jpg

AK 4.jpg

Sorry Mr. Giraffe is tilted to the left. But this picture was vital. I did not zoom. We were this close.

AK 5.jpg

Baby elephants. I want one. I was told no.

AK 6.jpg

AK 7.jpg

AK 8.jpg

It was over much too quickly and I wish I had the foresight to do another FP+ for this adventure. I was completely overwhelmed with the beauty of the animals and how they were in their element in the middle of Orlando. It was one of the coolest things I had ever done. Well, top five anyway.

Up next - food and character meets!

Isn't baby Stella the best? We were surprised she still looked little. We first saw her Jan of 2017 not long after she was born. I expected her to be much bigger this last trip, but she's still very much a baby. Unless there is a new baby? But, I could have sworn our guide mentioned Stella by name when she pointed out the baby elephant this past Jan. Anyway, I agree with you. I want a baby elephant, too. Great pics. Glad you enjoyed the safari.

Wow you got some great pictures. We once stopped as a rhinoceros was walking over the track, you see so many different things each time.

I totally understand you about zoos. I feel uncomfortable viewing animals in cages, but at the same time conflicted because without seeing these animals up close it is difficult to convince other people of their beauty and the need to help them!

But I think for AK, they are so focused on conservation that it makes me feel more comfortable. All of the enclosures are designed with the animals wants and needs in mind. And they work so closely with animal experts and the American Zoological accrediation council for the best benefit of the animals. Like the giraffes (I asked my guide on the AK tour I did)-they have 2 species, which used to be dispersed between the safari at the park and the one at the lodge. Then the council came to them and said-you know, you can get a great program going with each of those species if you keep them separate, so now there is one species at the lodge and one at the park, which allows them both to thrive!

So sorry you've been dealing with kidney stones. I've only had one once, but the pain was horrible. When it finally passed, the pain was so bad the thought crossed my mind that I might not survive it. A bit dramatic in hindsight, but that's how much it hurt. I think mine might have been related to the amount of coffee I drank, so I cut that almost completely out by switching to tea. I also started taking a daily marshmallow root supplement. It's supposed to soothe the urinary tract and dissolve stones. It's good for other things as well. It has been several years and so far no more stones. Knock on wood! Hopefully no more for you, too!

This is the second time I've had kidney stones. When I had them last year I drastically cut down on my caffeine intake. I am seriously addicted to iced tea and diet coke. I've never heard of marshmallow root supplement. I don't suppose it comes with chocolate and graham crackers??

That sounds painful, sorry you've had it so rough. Hopefully you're back on track now.

I am much better!!!

Isn't baby Stella the best? We were surprised she still looked little. We first saw her Jan of 2017 not long after she was born. I expected her to be much bigger this last trip, but she's still very much a baby. Unless there is a new baby? But, I could have sworn our guide mentioned Stella by name when she pointed out the baby elephant this past Jan. Anyway, I agree with you. I want a baby elephant, too. Great pics. Glad you enjoyed the safari.

I didn't catch the baby elephant's name because I was too busy trying to convince Tony we needed one to take home. It was just so adorable.

Wow you got some great pictures. We once stopped as a rhinoceros was walking over the track, you see so many different things each time.

It was such a nice and sunny day and all the animals were so close to our safari truck. As if they knew I needed to snap some great pictures.

I totally understand you about zoos. I feel uncomfortable viewing animals in cages, but at the same time conflicted because without seeing these animals up close it is difficult to convince other people of their beauty and the need to help them!

But I think for AK, they are so focused on conservation that it makes me feel more comfortable. All of the enclosures are designed with the animals wants and needs in mind. And they work so closely with animal experts and the American Zoological accrediation council for the best benefit of the animals. Like the giraffes (I asked my guide on the AK tour I did)-they have 2 species, which used to be dispersed between the safari at the park and the one at the lodge. Then the council came to them and said-you know, you can get a great program going with each of those species if you keep them separate, so now there is one species at the lodge and one at the park, which allows them both to thrive!

It was amazing how they can create an environment for each animal who all have different needs. I was very, very impressed.

After we left the safari, our plan was to catch the train for Rafiki's. But true to form for Tony and I, we made a wrong turn and by the time we realized it, we had ventured way out of the way. I really do not understand how our navigational skills were so lacking during this trip. Maybe the cold froze some of our brain cells? Who knows? But our next FP+ was another hour away and our tummies were starting to rumble. I had suggested that we head over to Harambre Market for an early lunch. Not being one to turn down food, Tony was all in for the plan.

AK lunch.jpg

Not my picture - obviously because these folks are in shorts and we were not! Some of the meals offered were much more adventurous than we were used to eating. However, there was a place that had sausage options and they looked - and smelled - absolutely yummy. I sent Tony over to claim a table and I got us lunch.

AK lunch 2.jpg

It was like a sausage corn dog. It was steamy hot and just delicious. I wish we had the option of the broccoli/tomato side dish pictured above. Instead we got some kind of corn salsa and weird cole slaw. I was not a fan of either. But it was okay, because the sausage was a generous portion. There was also a spice cake dessert, which was okay.

AK 10.jpg

After lunch, we had our next FP+ to meet the main couple in charge - Mickey and Minnie at Adventure's Outpost. Tony and I had agreed before the trip that we would not do any character dining (he really does not like it) but he would indulge me for character meets. And to be honest, I think using a FP for character meets is a good use of them. Otherwise you are waiting in line for what can be forever waiting. The meet was adorable with hugs and adoration. I had to tell Minnie how much I loved her blue eye shadow. She can rock an 80's look like no other!

AK M&M.jpg

Our next FP was supposed to be Naavi River Journey. We decided not to do it. Tony was worried that the step in and out of the boat would be fairly steep and he would not be able to manage it. Having never been on the ride, I just really wasn't too sure how it would be and I completely understand having to do the walk of shame on a ride (foreshadowing here for you), so we skipped it. Instead we went over to the show I had been really, really, really looking forward to.

AK 11.jpg

Like with all of the other shows based on movies, my heart was just filled with excitement about seeing this. I have of course seen the movie a million times and can sing all the songs. We didn't have a FP, so we waited in the stand-by line. But with the ECV's, there was really no problem. We sat in the upper level but I cannot remember which animal section we were in. I was just amazed by the quality of the show. Not that other performances aren't amazing, but this one just had something extra about it. Maybe it was because it was more than a reenactment of the movie. I'm not sure, but it was super. My picture quality was not so great. I did get some lovely shots of the back of the heads of the women sitting in front of us. Enjoy!

AK 12.jpg

AK 13.jpg

AK 14.jpg

Up next - the tree of life and trail exploration!

Festival of the Lion King is a great show. I'm always bummed when it ends. I could sit through a much longer version if they'd let me! Ha!

Love your Mickey and Minnie photo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter