What Are You Reading Right Now? Part II (Incomplete book list in 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished In the Company of Vampires by Katie MacAlister. Want to read the next book in the series, Much Ado About Vampires next.

I adore Katie MacAlister's writing. Her books are funny, sexy, and light-hearted. They don't take themselves too seriously and the characters are SO memorable. They all build upon each other, so in a later book, a character from a previous book will drop in; they are all inter-twined. If you are new to the series, I would start with the Aisling Grey series - I think You Slay Me is the first one. Jim the Demon-in-Dog-Form sidekick is hysterical, and a character that pops up in almost every book in some form or another.

Great, quick summer reads!

I read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" over the weekend. It was a perfect, easy, mostly light, read for a holiday weekend. I really enjoyed it.

Well, I dropped off the thread for a while to take care of my dad. I did finish some good books while I was gone, though.

The Year of Living Biblically - really good book! I enjoyed every page! It's not often I recommend a non-fiction book, but this one was so good!!!

Bridge of Sighs - Also quite enjoyable. It was really long, and probably didn't need to be, but all in all, quite good.

Rhett Butler's People - Awesome book! I love Gone With the Wind, and this was a great companion piece to it! It's also authorized by the Margaret Mitchell Society, so that was a plus for me!

Sailing Alone Around the Room - This month's book club selection. This is a collection of poetry. I'm not one to read a lot of poetry, usually, but there were some poems in the book that I found thought provoking.

Now I'm reading "Thunderhead" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Suspenseful and well-written, so far. I'm liking it!

I just finished The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Much as I expected, it was good, but not as gripping as his biology centric books. It has, however, inspired me to re-read (again) The Ancestor's Tale.

Now I'm looking for something with more plot and less argument.

The Year of Living Biblically - really good book! I enjoyed every page! It's not often I recommend a non-fiction book, but this one was so good!!!

good one...very entertaining:rotfl:
I'm in the middle of "The kindness of strangers,a penniless journey across America" (free on my kindle)

Finished The Ape House by Sara Gruen & let me just say that I thought it was horrible. I don't know if my mind was elsewhere while reading it or what, but there was no continuity to it.

The characters didn't blend. I thought I was reading 2 or 3 different stories that never actually came together. I was determined to finish it though. It was so horrible for me that I actually finished it last night & didn't even know it was the end of the book.

I read it on my iPad & just sat down to drag myself through the last 10 pages so I could start a new one tonight & I realized that the "page" I turned to last night before putting it down was the Author's Note page. I'm disappointed that I actually paid for the book. If it would have been a freebie I would have given up weeks ago - that's how long it took me to drudge through this book.

I loved Water for Elephants, which she wrote also but this book was horrible.

Daily Nook Find: Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin $2.99!

I signed up for Daily Nook Find because of someone posting on this thread, so thank you! I have been wanting to buy this for my nook color...so glad I held out! $2.99 will be the cheapest e-book I've ever purchased! :goodvibes

diznee25

I signed up for Daily Nook Find because of someone posting on this thread, so thank you! I have been wanting to buy this for my nook color...so glad I held out! $2.99 will be the cheapest e-book I've ever purchased! :goodvibes

diznee25

I really enjoyed that book :thumbsup2

I am currently reading Cuckoo by Julia Crouch - I am enjoying it so far, it's a nice, easy read :)

I'm just beginning Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and it's giving me a fit because the text is so small. :3dglasses Next on the list is Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson, which I'm really looking forward to.

I finally finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 over the weekend. Fantastic book!! :thumbsup2 I'm not into history that much, and I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. This will be a good one to make into a movie; I sure hope they do!

Weird coincidence: I'll be moving my dad into an assisted living facility this week, so yesterday I was out at his house looking for important papers and stuff that I should keep at my house. In his cedar chest, I found a scapbook he'd made of newspaper clippings from back when Kennedy was assassinated. What timing - right when I finished 11/22/63.

Glen Beck is how he is but I am thoroughly enjoying "Being George Washington."

Also sitting on the shelf:

Clive Cussler - Crescent Dawn
The Autobiography of Mark Twain
Elmore Leonard - Raylan
William E. Shotts - The Linux Command Line

I am reading, This is how, help for overcoming, by Augusten Burroughs. It looked interesting and it is. He also wrote, Running with scissors (haven't read that one yet). He has a very genuine way with his writing and has anecdotes that grab the reader. Thought provoking, but easy read.

diznee25

It was also offerred on the Kindle for $2.99 yesterday so I bought it and finished it last night. It was a good read! :thumbsup2

I'm reading "The Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinesella. I'm really glad I chose to read another of her books. I'm finding it very enjoyable. I described it and also "Can You Keep a Secret", my previous read, to DH and he says they sound like the book equivalent of an "I Love Lucy" episode. So true!

I read The Book Thief this week and it was so refreshing to read something so thought provoking after the garbage that was the 50 Shades Trilogy. I'm not sure what I am going to move onto this week but I will probably start something new tonight or tomorrow.

I just down loaded Istanbul Passage on my Kindle, so far it's a pretty good read.

I am reading Unbroken right now. So far- WOW!

It's not often I give a book 5 stars, but this was one of them. What a wonderful read!

I finally finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 over the weekend. Fantastic book!! :thumbsup2

This is sitting on the dining room table, waiting for me to finish The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America (which IMO, is way too long of a title for any book).

I read The Book Thief this week and it was so refreshing to read something so thought provoking after the garbage that was the 50 Shades Trilogy. I'm not sure what I am going to move onto this week but I will probably start something new tonight or tomorrow.

I agree. One of my all time favorite books.

Kathi OD -- I read Devil in the White City in 2007, just before travelling to Chicago for a half-marathon. I LOVED all the detail about the architecture, the products that are still on the market today after appearing at that World's Fair, and the connection to Walt Disney. Great book! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter