What are your all-time top favorite Disney resorts?

Duckbug.Ducktales

Listening to the music to Fantasmic!
All this talk on other threads about resorts that people never want to come back to got me wanting to hear, on a more positive note, what the top favorite resorts are. I thought about asking for top 3, but only you should choose how many favorites you have 😉

I appreciate something about every resort I visit and I've been to nearly all of them now. But my top favorites, in no particular order, are:
  • Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower - I just love the history of the CR building, the architecture, the restaurants, the wow factor from the monorail going through it, the great fireworks views, and that proximity to the one and only MK 😍
  • The Disneyland Hotel - it's the OG! Again with the history... and the musical headboards are so lovely!
  • Riviera Resort - after staying to try it out, the spacious and well-appointed rooms and dining really won us over! Also, DH loves the Skyliner. This has become our go-to for EPCOT/DHS area stays.
Honorable mentions: Coronado Springs - I already liked the themeing, but Gran Destino Tower really wowed us! Also, Yach Club for the nautical lobby and walk-ability, POP Century for the fun theme and unbeatable value, and Hilton Head for the kayaking and other activities 👍

This was hard! I honestly like all of them for different reasons and I appreciate the imagineers' work all around, but these are the ones that work best for our travel patterns and purposes. So what are your favorites?

Animal Kingdom Lodge is my favorite by far, I love the animals, the architecture is gorgeous, staff is always wonderful, and they have 3 of the best sit down restaurants on Disney property. My only complaint is The Mara (QS), I have never been impressed, and it's gotten worse since the pandemic.

I loved Grand Floridian when I stayed there, but I wasn't footing the bill, LOL! Getting a surprise upgrade to Club Level didn't hurt!

#3 is Yacht Club, loved the pool and the location. Sadly they've priced me out of staying there anymore, not willing to spend $600 - $700 a night.

Polynesian! The tropical vibe, close proximity to MK, the food...we love it all. Definitely our favorite resort.

Also really enjoy Animal Kingdom Lodge. Have stayed there twice. Very relaxing and we love the animals. Look forward to maybe renting a 2 bedroom villa once our youngest is 3 and can no longer fit in Poly studio (family of 6).

And while I'm not sure we'll ever stay again, Pop Century holds a place in my heart. It was the first resort my husband and I stayed at years ago. So there's nostalgia there for me.

All this talk on other threads about resorts that people never want to come back to got me wanting to hear, on a more positive note, what the top favorite resorts are. I thought about asking for top 3, but only you should choose how many favorites you have 😉

I appreciate something about every resort I visit and I've been to nearly all of them now. But my top favorites, in no particular order, are:
  • Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower - I just love the history of the CR building, the architecture, the restaurants, the wow factor from the monorail going through it, the great fireworks views, and that proximity to the one and only MK 😍
  • The Disneyland Hotel - it's the OG! Again with the history... and the musical headboards are so lovely!
  • Riviera Resort - after staying to try it out, the spacious and well-appointed rooms and dining really won us over! Also, DH loves the Skyliner. This has become our go-to for EPCOT/DHS area stays.
Honorable mentions: Coronado Springs - I already liked the themeing, but Gran Destino Tower really wowed us! Also, Yach Club for the nautical lobby and walk-ability, POP Century for the fun theme and unbeatable value, and Hilton Head for the kayaking and other activities 👍

This was hard! I honestly like all of them for different reasons and I appreciate the imagineers' work all around, but these are the ones that work best for our travel patterns and purposes. So what are your favorites?
As a fellow historian as yourself, I want to visit the Disneyland Hotel one day (use my direct points for a DLT stay).
I agree with you about the Contemporary. We are staying BLT for first time this year. (visited CR last year)

As a fellow historian as yourself, I want to visit the Disneyland Hotel one day (use my direct points for a DLT stay).
I agree with you about the Contemporary. We are staying BLT for first time this year. (visited CR last year)
I hope you will love it! I can't imagine not, but sending all good vibes for a great experience!
If you like table service, do try the new restaurant, Steakhouse 71. I was sad about the Wave but pleasantly surprised by the quality and value of this place--and the nods to WDW's opening and Walt are great!

Also, looks like AKL is a common favorite! Indeed, the "friggin" savannah is hard to beat 😂

I've only stayed at three so far. My favorite by a long shot was POFQ. Though I have a feeling after our summer trip, WL will be tops.
Now, here's the only resort at WDW in which I haven't stayed (POFQ). Have stayed Riverside and it was okay. I will try to tack on a night a POFQ at the beginning or end of a future trip to see why so many love it!

AKL - it speaks for itself
BLT - I just love this resort from top to bottom ! I love having monorail / boats / buses / walking - the restaurants on site and close by
WL - same as BLT - wish they had the monorail - but still love this resort
If I could add a fourth that I have only toured but liked a lot it would be RIV - love the theme and the gondola !!

As for moderates -
CBR - my first Disney resort - love the theme - wish the walls were thicker
Hate hearing everything my neighbors are doing
French Quarter - enjoyed staying here several times

Value
Pop Century will be my pick every time - I’ve enjoyed my stay every time I’ve been - 3 Spring Break trips - huge fun !!

My wife and I have traveled to WDW every year since 2009. We go for the purpose to escape the world we live in and to insert ourselves into the Magic that only Disney can deliver. We are both now in our late 60's and we love the whole experience that Disney can offer. Because of that, we stay at All Star Music for these simple reasons. 1, the All Stars are values and for that purpose families tend to use them. We love lounging around the pool every afternoon and watching the kids enjoy the planned activities, the music at the pool, the sight of so many families enjoying themselves. 2, since we go there every year we have come to know much of the staff. We have had the same people serve us our breakfast, sell us our snacks and t-shirts, check us in when we arrive for years now. When we arrive we have staff waiting at the door to welcome us by name. We keep in touch with these people by email and letters because we feel like family. 3, the rooms have always been clean and believe it or not quiet. We have stayed during football, cheerleader, dance teams etc., and never had any problems. AS Music may not be posh, it may not have spa treatment. We know that. We love AS Music because we feel like we are surrounded by friends and family and we just love this place.

All Star Movies!!!! I love walking around the pools and seeing the large Dalmatians, the big hockey goal with the Mighty Ducks! The huge Buzz and Woody! I feel like I'm inside a Disney animated movie! The food court is amazing with the free refills of the drinks! I love the music. It seems like I'm still in Disney when I'm walking back to my room or when I get up in the morning and look out my window. The rooms don't concern me as I fall asleep as soon as I get in the room, and I'm never in them as we go park from opening to close. And my parents save so much money that they can buy me more stuffed animals and lightsabers.

-- Review from my 6 year old

My wife and I have traveled to WDW every year since 2009. We go for the purpose to escape the world we live in and to insert ourselves into the Magic that only Disney can deliver. We are both now in our late 60's and we love the whole experience that Disney can offer. Because of that, we stay at All Star Music for these simple reasons. 1, the All Stars are values and for that purpose families tend to use them. We love lounging around the pool every afternoon and watching the kids enjoy the planned activities, the music at the pool, the sight of so many families enjoying themselves. 2, since we go there every year we have come to know much of the staff. We have had the same people serve us our breakfast, sell us our snacks and t-shirts, check us in when we arrive for years now. When we arrive we have staff waiting at the door to welcome us by name. We keep in touch with these people by email and letters because we feel like family. 3, the rooms have always been clean and believe it or not quiet. We have stayed during football, cheerleader, dance teams etc., and never had any problems. AS Music may not be posh, it may not have spa treatment. We know that. We love AS Music because we feel like we are surrounded by friends and family and we just love this place.
Wow, this is high praise!
I would like to try out the family suites sometime, now that they're refurbished!

I've only stayed at 4 so far. Pop, CSR, BWI, & GF. Out of those BWI is my favorite hands down! I enjoyed each resort but there is just something about the Boardwalk area.

We have upcoming trips to AKL Jambo, YC, & Poly. So my favorite may end up changing. :)

The Polynesian Village Resort has been my favorite since I first stayed there in 1979.

Our #2 at WDW is Yacht Club, water-view room.

And, we also have a soft-spot for the Disneyland Hotel, nothing else really captures that vintage, Mid-Century Disneyana feel.

I've stayed at all of them in the United States except for Paradise Pier and Vero Beach.

1. Aulani, which is to the Polynesian as Kilimanjaro Safaris is to Jungle Cruise

2. Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is the best example of "nowhere else but Disney"

3. Grand Cal, which incorporates lots of the best parts of Wilderness Lodge, except everything feels brand new and pristinely clean

@hhisc16, Hilton Head might crack the list if it was easier for me to get to. The new "Breeze Airways" has introduced a Hartford to Savannah route, so I might try that out and get down there more often.

The only resorts I hate are Pop Century and Beach Club.

Yacht club- just stayed here for the first time and loved it. Not only was the main pool awesome, but the admiral pool was a nice peaceful change. The rooms were amazing, and the whole resort had a calm vibe to it. We liked sitting in the lobby just to relax a a couple times. The location was great too. Being able to walk (or boat) to two parks and not dealing with the buses.

Contemporary- up until our stay at yc this was my all time favorite. I know people say it is sterile, but I loved the look of it. From when I was a kid I loved that the monorail went through it. The tower rooms are great. You get a good view on either side and you walk out of your room to the excitement down below (mainly chef mickeys). Good food options, and easy access to magic kingdom.

Art of animation- we loved the size of the suites. Two bathrooms, plenty of space (and privacy in the bedroom), and the pull down was quite comfortable. The pool was fun, and we liked the dining. Since we were in the suites we were close to the main building which was nice. Now with the skyliner it’s probably even better.

Caribbean beach- while I liked the resort better than aoa it was just so big. I liked that there were plenty of places to relax and be peaceful around the resort, and the quiet pool was nice. The room was spacious and styled nicely. We were in Aruba close to the bus stop so we really didn’t have to go to the main building. Bus service was good, but took forever to get back to our room as we were the last stop. They ran two buses in the am so we never had an issue getting on which was nice. The walk to the main area was 5-10 minutes.

Movies- liked the theming, and loved the mighty ducks section. It was like being preferred section for music as we used their buses. I like the food court at the values. We faced the quiet pool (which we loved), but didn’t like facing it because it was loud in the evenings until it closed at 11. The room is smaller and less amenities, but works just fine. We shared buses but didn’t have issues.

Sports- pretty much the same as movies. We stayed in tennis section so it was quieter and an easy walk to the buses/food. We liked the home run pool better. It was an easy walk to. Plus here is the first stop when sharing buses, but we didn’t have issues. Movies got the nod over this just because we liked the mighty ducks theming the best, and we could be at the music bus stop in no time.

When considering price it makes the choice more difficult. I always tell myself to just stay value we aren’t in the room much. But I really just don’t like the value rooms. They are small and cheap feeling (not the suites at aoa but they are not cheap either). I do like the lines for the buses (wish they were covered) so it’s not such a free for all though.

As much as I like yc and CR I don’t know if I’ll stay again. They are just so expensive. I may yacht again, I truly loved it. I think I may try Coronado springs next time.

I am curious from all of the responses about how AKL is listed as a favorite and yet the resale of this resort is one of the lowest on the market. I also absolutely love this resort but can't understand why it is undervalued.

Favorite resort depends on the time of year:
-CCV in December for the amazing Christmas vibe.
-PVB in the spring
-AKL during the summer
-BWV in the fall with the ability to walk to food and wine fest and drink part way around the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter