What car service do I use..or do I rent?

diz4me

Mouseketeer
Hi fellow DISers...

I need some advice. How should I handle transportation to the port for my family of six, which includes a 2 and 3 year old? We are arriving Fri. night, staying at Hyatt MCO, and like the idea of not using DCL transports because of the options of shopping, freedom, etc. when you have your own car. Plus, it looks like renting a car might be cheaper than $63 x 6.

What is your adivice? Rent a minivan and return at the Pier? Then how do I get back to MCO after the cruise? Should I use limo service like Happy Limo or Tiffany? Will they stop at a market for us? Or am I being foolish and I should just use DCL?

All opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!:cool:

We use Happy Limo a lot and have used the grocery stop several times. We fly in the night before and get a cheap MCO-area hotel via Priceline. The hotels have a free shuttle, and then we take the towncar in the morning after a good night's sleep and get to the terminal bright and early. The trip is very straightforward for driving if you decide to rent a car, but personally I am lazy and like being chauffered.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

For a family of 6, you would be comfortable in a van from Tiffany or other limo service. Tiffany is $85 each way. They will do a snack/drink stop and drive you right to port. Avis and Budget are both easy to rent at the airport and return near the port (Avis is at the Raddisson) and both have shuttles to port. However, for your party size, you'll need to rent a van, and a one way rate may not be much cheaper.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Like you, Barb, I think I like the idea of being chauffered around! I guess I will use Tiffany or Happy and get a van. You said I should expect to pay about $85? What about tips, tax, etc? Also, what time should I ask to be picked up at Hyatt MCO? And if I am first seating, what time should I asked to be picked up after debarking?

Thanks for all the help! First time cruising with Disney, so I am clueless!:cool:

We also are staying at the Hyatt and booked a towncar from Happy Limo for 10:30am. I guess it comes down to how early you want to get in line at the port.

On the return, we are planning to be off the ship by 8:15 or 8:30 for an early flight (I know, it's all subject to the ship being on time to port and clearing customs). So we booked the return trip via Happy accordingly.

The cost of the towncar from Happy was $160 round trip (less $10 discount from castawayclub.com) plus 20% tip for a total of $182.

They also have vans (for a little more) that would work well for a larger group.

Just search Tiffany Towncar and it will give you the site. Don't forget to print off their coupon. We have used them many times and have been very happy with their service.

We have rented minivans from Avis, but with a party of 6 I would take the limo because the minivans did not hold much luggage at all. We only had 5 people in the minivan and were struggling for luggage space, it would be worse with car seats as well.

MJ

Thanks MJ! I appreciate your reply, and all of the other wonderful advice you pass on to us about your travels in your numerous posts. If you remember, I am your Northvale "neighbor." TZ-1989

Which company do you prefer for van rental, and where can I find good bargains? Thanks again for all the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter