What counts as a bag for bag check?

txdisneymama

Earning My Ears
I searched but didn't find an answer ... sorry if this a repeat question. What counts as a bag when going through bag check at the parks? Can we carry a bottle of water in hand? Or a book? I am trying my darnedest to go bag free this trip, but my son loves to carry his hidden Mickeys book, and I love to bring a water bottle, if possible. Will this put us in the bag check line, or can we just proceed through the metal detectors?

You should be able to just go through the metal detectors if you are carrying something in your hand like that. I often go through carrying a bottle of water and have never had any problem.

A bottle or book should be fine... I know my sister and I usually carry wristlet phone cases and we used to be able to go through no bags as long as the one zip was undone as of about a month ago we’ve been told we have to wait in the bag line

I have a handmade pouch that can carry my phone, credit cards and cash. It all will fit in my pockets so I go thru with everything in pockets and then put It together when I am thru security

Reactions: rlk

A bag is something that closes with a zipper or button and holds something inside, commonly on a strap or string
A book or a bottle of water is not a bag.
A cell phone in a case (that doesn't close) is not a bag. Even if the phone is on a string.
A wallet, such as what a man carries in his pocket, is not a bag.
A very small pouch that fits in your pockets and holds nothing more than an AP, ID or a credit card is not a bag

A bag is something that closes with a zipper or button and holds something inside, commonly on a strap or string
A book or a bottle of water is not a bag.
A cell phone in a case (that doesn't close) is not a bag. Even if the phone is on a string.
A wallet, such as what a man carries in his pocket, is not a bag.
A very small pouch that fits in your pockets and holds nothing more than an AP, ID or a credit card is not a bag

Haha! I figured as much, but you never know. I wasn't sure if they would want to inspect anything we were holding. Perhaps we have carved out a secret compartment in our book and are hiding something! :P

Haha! I figured as much, but you never know. I wasn't sure if they would want to inspect anything we were holding. Perhaps we have carved out a secret compartment in our book and are hiding something! :P
They may want to glance at it, so do be prepared to flash it at them as you walk by but they won't direct you to the bag check line.

I have this phone case, on a string. And they will sometimes ask about it. Normally I go by and have it already turned to show it's just my phone and they don't even ask about it.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/store/product/minnie-bows-iphone-76-crossbody/495834/

I searched but didn't find an answer ... sorry if this a repeat question. What counts as a bag when going through bag check at the parks? Can we carry a bottle of water in hand? Or a book? I am trying my darnedest to go bag free this trip, but my son loves to carry his hidden Mickeys book, and I love to bring a water bottle, if possible. Will this put us in the bag check line, or can we just proceed through the metal detectors?

A bottle of water is not a bag. A book is not a bag. Bags are bags.

I have taken to carrying our water bottles in my cargo pants. I take them out, hand one to DW and carry the other in my hand when I go through the "no bag" line. Goes a lot faster than the fanny pack I used to use to carry.

If I have my phone in a clear plastic case on a lanyard around my neck, will I have to go through bag check?

If I have my phone in a clear plastic case on a lanyard around my neck, will I have to go through bag check?

No. They may ask to see what it is, if they can't tell. Show them it's just your phone and they'll be fine with it.
I walk through with my phone case that is on a string with the phone showing (and flip it after I'm through) and they don't even stop to see what it is. It's even easier if I just hold it as if I'm using my phone and remove all doubt from them that it's strictly a phone. When I left it on my hip, they often would ask, since it's not quite as obvious that it's only a phone case. Still never was a problem or considered a bag

No. They may ask to see what it is, if they can't tell. Show them it's just your phone and they'll be fine with it.
I walk through with my phone case that is on a string with the phone showing (and flip it after I'm through) and they don't even stop to see what it is. It's even easier if I just hold it as if I'm using my phone and remove all doubt from them that it's strictly a phone. When I left it on my hip, they often would ask, since it's not quite as obvious that it's only a phone case. Still never was a problem or considered a bag
Thanks so much.

Would a camera count as a bag if I just had it around my neck? Or would it trigger the metal detectors?
It will trigger the metal detectors so if you are sent through them you will have to remove it but it won't require you to go through bag check

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter