What crowd level makes the Express Pass necessary?

juliebee

Mouseketeer
We are headed to Universal for a couple days March 29-April 1. Touring Plans has recently lowered their expected crowd levels to be about a 6-7 while we are there. Now I'm unsure if we should plan on needing the Express Pass while we are there. It would be nice to save the money if it wouldn't be important to have the Express Pass. What crowd level makes the EP necessary? We've never been to Universal Orlando. We'd probably try most things once, but don't know about reriding the rollercoasters as my husband and son aren't huge fans generally.

If we need the EP, we'd stay at RPR to get it included, if we don't then we'll probably stay at Cabana Bay.

I can't say because I never bother to look at crowd calendars, but having just completed my first stay at Cabana Bay, I am a convert to 'EP not needed during low crowd levels' thinking. I don't know what late March will look like, but weekdays in mid-November the waits were very short (many posted 10-15 min but were shorter than that, including the newest ride, Kong). I liked Cabana Bay, especially the food, and would not hesitate to stay there again, especially at the AP rate I paid of $89 a night!

How many of you are traveling? You could always buy EP for one day if you found it necessary. Maybe price it out vs staying at RPR the whole time?

Don't forget that staying at RPR gives you unlimited EP which is awesome if you like to ride things a bunch of times. If you would only be riding things once anyway just be there before the gates open, have a plan for which order to ride things, and you should be fine.

I'm wondering nearly the same thing. We are also traveling at the end of March with crowd numbers between 6 and 7. How likely is it that we can buy an Express Pass the day we arrive?

I'm wondering nearly the same thing. We are also traveling at the end of March with crowd numbers between 6 and 7. How likely is it that we can buy an Express Pass the day we arrive?

Expresses passes very, very rarely run out. You'll be fine the end of March.

How many days in the parks? Is this for just a couple adults, or are there kids as well?

Early hour will help quite a bit. If this is a large group, a family, first timers who may not be back for a while and/or limited days in the parks, then I would recommend express at a 7.

Thanks for the feedback on this! I guess we should plan on staying with EP then. It would be our first time at Universal Orlando and we probably won't be back for several years. Since we will only have 2.5 days in the parks, it makes sense to spend a bit more for the hotel that gives us the free unlimited EP. When the crowd levels were predicted to be higher, I felt it was a no brainer to stay at RPR, but once they lowered their crowd projections, I thought I could get away with spending less. LOL

For many of us it's always necessary.

I'd like to stay at CB or SF but just can't give up the express pass.

Agreed. It also gives you time to enjoy the resort a little more as well. We will go early in the morning to the park, go back to the pool after lunch and then head back to the park after dinner. It makes for a fun and relaxing vacation.

This will be our (family of 5) first time at Universal and we are staying at Royal Pacific. I REALLY want to stay at Cabana Bay but I also think I need Front of the Line Access. We will be there 7/29-7/31 - not only is it summer, but it's also the weekend. If you tell me I could get by without FOL during that time, I will definitley consider changing resorts. What do you think???

This will be our (family of 5) first time at Universal and we are staying at Royal Pacific. I REALLY want to stay at Cabana Bay but I also think I need Front of the Line Access. We will be there 7/29-7/31 - not only is it summer, but it's also the weekend. If you tell me I could get by without FOL during that time, I will definitley consider changing resorts. What do you think???

I can tell you that Touring Plans says the estimated crowd levels are 8 and 9 for your dates, which is more than the crowd level as my time, so the advice that I've been given in this thread probably applies to you also. Enjoy your trip!

edited to correct the crowd level

I can tell you that Touring Plans says the estimated crowd levels are 8 and 9 for your dates, which is more than the crowd level as my time, so the advice that I've been given in this thread probably applies to you also. Enjoy your trip!

I figured they would be. Everyone tells me how hot it's going to be but i'm not worried about the heat, just the crowds. I just have never gone during a high crowd time. I'm so excited about this trip - I'm sure it will work out fine. Thanks for the reply.

Personally, I would stay at Royal Pacific. This is a good time for express passes.

Love RPR. Hang by the pool and order the nachos. They are HUGE and amazing. Totally worth the money. Can easily feed a bunch of people. We ordered stuff off the pool side menu a couple times and didn't think the prices were too bad. RPR is an amazing resort. We LOVE it. Only big downfall is the regular restaurant choices are quite expensive. Their morning breakfast area is sooooo pricey. But they do have mini fridges in the room, so we did that for breakfast. They do have a microwave by the breakfast area and we used that for our stuff.

My point is (and I do have one) is that if you opt to stay at RPR for the EP, you will get a very nice hotel experience. I think it's worth it!

RPR it is! I'm so excited about this trip. I've been waiting for my kids to get tall enough so that we can go to Universal and enjoy all the rides. Now that everyone is there, I can't wait for Harry Potter World and Universal! Thanks for your help!

We are headed to Universal for a couple days March 29-April 1. Touring Plans has recently lowered their expected crowd levels to be about a 6-7 while we are there. Now I'm unsure if we should plan on needing the Express Pass while we are there. It would be nice to save the money if it wouldn't be important to have the Express Pass. What crowd level makes the EP necessary? We've never been to Universal Orlando. We'd probably try most things once, but don't know about reriding the rollercoasters as my husband and son aren't huge fans generally.

If we need the EP, we'd stay at RPR to get it included, if we don't then we'll probably stay at Cabana Bay.

I haven't paid for Touring Plans, but looking at some of the free calendars both you & I are going at the busiest times! We are going 3/19-3/23. We are staying offsite & buying the limited EP's.

I can't say because I never bother to look at crowd calendars, but having just completed my first stay at Cabana Bay, I am a convert to 'EP not needed during low crowd levels' thinking. I don't know what late March will look like, but weekdays in mid-November the waits were very short (many posted 10-15 min but were shorter than that, including the newest ride, Kong). I liked Cabana Bay, especially the food, and would not hesitate to stay there again, especially at the AP rate I paid of $89 a night!

How many of you are traveling? You could always buy EP for one day if you found it necessary. Maybe price it out vs staying at RPR the whole time?

This is good to read. We are going on a Weds and Thurs next November. TP shows crowd level 2. We are staying at Cabana and not all of us plan to ride everything.

Last edited:

If your focus is HP, I'd stay onsite for a least one night to at least get 2 days in the park

The various crowd calendars can differ a bit for same dates. A good tool but not definitive by any means IMO, especially when you have the 'free' EP @ U & an hour EE to HP.

RPR it is! I'm so excited about this trip. I've been waiting for my kids to get tall enough so that we can go to Universal and enjoy all the rides. Now that everyone is there, I can't wait for Harry Potter World and Universal! Thanks for your help!

We stayed on site just before Thanksgiving at RPR for two nights before a cruise, our first on site stay at Universal. Coincidentally we have a second trip in February to Universal (taking son, daughter in law and granddaughter) and I had already made reservations to stay at Cabana Bay. After staying at RPR, I guess I got spoiled and after returning from the cruise called and switched us to RPR. Yes it is more expensive, but the included express pass was great! RPR also has wonderful boat service to Universal (Cabana Bay has bus service or some walk to Sapphire Falls to catch their boat) and is closer than Cabana Bay. It is a gorgeous resort. Just be aware that the food options are more expensive at RPR, no food court like they have at Cabana Bay. With the exception of a "grab and go" area in the morning with overpriced muffins, etc., all restaurants at RPR are full service and on the expensive side.

Just make sure to use the one hour early admission to enjoy Harry Potter when it is less crowded!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter