What did child you think your parents did for a job?

I didn't have to think, I knew. My mother was a secretary and my father worked in a machine factory

I knew. Mother grocery checker, father a Teamster and usually worked in gas stations

Mommy did whatever was needed to get the bills paid. Beautician, market research interviewer, sideline selling Cutco knives. Those are some of the jobs she did after divorcing Nana + Papa’s son and before getting her college degree.

No guess, I knew.
My mom was a Surgical Nurse and my dad was a Lumber Salesman.

I knew - mom was an RN and dad was a Metallurgist - I once asked my dad what a metallurgist did - he told me he didn’t get paid for what he did but rather for what he knew…I knew it was a pretty good gig even back then…so when I got into tech…I made sure I knew more about the systems I worked on than anyone - both from a tech standpoint and business…

I knew.
Daddy worked for Eastern Air Lines and Mom worked in a factory that made belts for dresses and later in a factory that made jalousie windows.

i clearly remember a friend in school who thought that her dad had two job assignments, one on a playground and another in a graveyard............because her dad would say either 'i'm working swings this week' or 'this week i've got graves' :rotfl:

i'm still not sure exactly what my father did-i know the civil service job title but that's about it.

I knew my Dad was a power plant manager, but when I was really little I though he had to wear a turban at work because I misheard the word "turbine."

My dad was a contractor/homebuilder. As kids, my sisters and I would "draw up houses" and estimates with him at the kitchen table; and, sometimes he would take us to jobsites with him. My mom was a homemaker until I was in junior high, then she worked in the school cafeteria.

So I had a pretty good idea what they both did.

My parents' professions were pretty cut and dry: my mom was a teacher and my dad was a chiropractor.

Now, if you ask my son (6) what my husband does he'd say he had no idea. TBH, I don't know really either -- something on the computer for a financial company? :laughing: I'm also a teacher so that one is easy. ;)

I totally misread the title.... my first thought was what did they think of mine. As far as what I thought of theirs, I followed in their footsteps of working in the field of education. As a kid, I pretty much knew what all was involved in what they were doing. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
My dad worked second shift (because it paid more money) at a GM foundry. My mom stayed at home. He was on strike a lot with the UAW and I can remember going with him for a bag of food at the union hall. He was always my hero. He worked his butt off and never complained.

I thought their jobs were what their actual jobs were since my parents werent international spies LOL. what a weird question.
I can see where it might be weird now. But I grew up in the 1960's during the Vietnam War in a town with two Air Force Bases, an Army Depot and a couple of defense contractors like Aerojet so I did know kids whose parents couldn't reveal what they did for a job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter