What DLP restaurant for first-timers is a MUST-DO for dinner this August?

kimmar067

TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!
...trying to decide on Yacht Club and other locations for dinner. Which would you recommend for an absolute must-do since a 2nd visit may not be in the cards.

TIA!
[EDIT: I made a mistake - it's for the first week of September]

Last edited:
Sorry, but there's not many people on these bits of the boards with a lot of DLP experience, so it can take a while to get a reply - it's not like the threads for the US parks where there's thousands of people wanting to share their opinions. If people aren't online then it'll just take a bit longer than you expect.

Now I'm not a big table service in the park sort of person - takes too much time (food service in France is a lot more leisurely than elsewhere) that I could be using to ride rides, see shows or visit shops in my opinion! Despite that I have eaten in both Walts and Silver Spur Steakhouse - the meals I got in both were good, but I hesitate to say that either was a "must do" in that they didn't stand out as things I would have regretted missing out on had I not done them if you see what I mean. I think if you're certain you want one TS meal in the park, then Walts is probably the one to do but check the menu first.

Outside of the parks however I do try to go for at least one TS meal per trip, either in one of the hotels, or in Disney Village. The Steakhouse in the Village used to be good but has (IMHO) gone downhill recently in terms of food quality, but the atmosphere still might make for a memorable meal. I also like the Manhattan restaurant in the Marvel hotel, which is mainly Italian cuisine and feels quite fancy. At the Newport Bay hotel I'm not sold on the Yacht Club, but then I'm not a huge seafood fan, so whenever I'm there we end up at the Cape Cod buffet.

However still none of these are exactly screaming out at me as being must do's either. Perhaps that's because the two best restaurants on property were always in the Disneyland Hotel which is still being refurbished. Innoventions (yes it was a buffet, but it was at a whole other level, plus sometimes had characters as well) and California Grill (apart from the name and one or two shared dishes, didn't have a lot in common with the one at WDW but was excellent in it's own right) I would say both met that sort of "stand-out" category that you were probably after. Unfortunately they are not going to re-open until 2024, so you're out of luck there.

I agree with steve_rob, the restaurants aren't necessarily "must-do"s. In Disneyland Park my favourite table service is Walt's, though it was only open for lunch on our last trip. A lot of people like the theming in Captain Jack's but I've not tried it myself. In the Studios we've had good meals in Bistrot Chez Remy and Pym Kitchen. Outside of the parks, we liked Manhattan Restaurant and Yacht Club, but we usually end up having a table service lunch in the parks followed by a quick service dinner in Disney Village.

So we did Plaza Gardens (buffet), Captain Jack’s, Bistrot Chez Remy, and Agrabah Cafe (buffet). Of these, only Remy was disappointing.

Plaza Gardens was a character experience. We actually did it for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was the better “value” at the time. Lots of options. And I ate so much dessert.

Captain Jack’s is the Pirates dining area. So it’s very thematic. Probably wouldn’t recommend it if you don’t like seafood. We liked it.

Bistrot Chez Remy… so my problem is that the ratatouille is supposed to be really good, right? It just was so-so. As was the rest of the food. It was also the most chaotic dining experience. (Yes, even more chaotic than the character dining.) The best part is the theming.

Agrabah Cafe was great food and great ambiance. This is the one I would say is a “must do.” Some may say the food is adventurous, but just check the menu ahead of time.

Now I will say that we only did dinner at Plaza Gardens. The rest were late lunch or very early dinner (4 pm). I’m not sure how hours are in September.

Main thing, if you are a US park regular, keep your expectations low when it comes to food at DLP. Food is not a priority in this park. Why should it with so many amazing restaurants in Paris and area. They decided not to compete with this.

Especially table service in DLP is overpriced and the quality is just okay.

If I was to advice one restaurant it would be Agrabah Cafe. Price is decent, decorating nice and the food is interesting.
I think the ambiance at Remy's overrated, in Captain Jack it is so dark you can hardly see what you are eating (although the Rice pudding was really good).
I prefer eating in the Village. Much better price/food quality ratio.

Also keep in mind: table service in France takes longer.

I agree with everything Karin said above. I would add that if you go to Agrabah Cafe (my favorite), ask to NOT be seated in the big room near the buffet. For this restaurant they closed off and covered the old bazar area (similar to the Moroccan pavilion in Epcot), so most of the tables are in the streets of the bazar, with an excellent theming. The big room is just that, a big room, like a school cafeteria.
I think Remi and Capt Jack are just ok food wise and a bit overpriced even by Disney standards, but the ambience is nice.
I like the Billy Bob buffet at the village, but I'm sure you can find much better tex-mex food nearer home. However, the dessert buffet is really good. :)
30 years visiting DLP and I have yet to eat at Walt's :(

We liked Captain Jack's for theming/experience and would recommend it if you love Pirates, but not amazing for the food.

Walt's for the experience, the food is 4/5 but soak in the atmosphere and try and hit it when the parade is on by a window!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter