What do disney class as objectionable tattoos?

Yuzuki

Earning My Ears
Hi, I'm new *waves* so hopefully I've put this in the right place, sorry if i haven't.
Does anyone know about Disney's policy on heavily tattooed people entering the park?
Me and my boyfriend have booked to go in may and plan on going to Disney, Seaworld and Universal. We're not worried about Universal or Seaworld but as I offended Disney with my shirt as a kid, I'm stressing that they wont like my tattoos much.
I don't have anything I class as objectionable but I do have my knuckles and neck tattooed as does my boyfriend, so was just wondering if anyone knows anything from personal experience or have heard any stories of people not being allowed in the park because of tattoos.

I don't think it matters where the tatoo is, as much as what the tatoo is a picture of.

I would think if it showed any type of nudity or something along those line they would not be tolerated. Can't say for certain, because everything is not always offensive to some, but very offensive to others. As an example, one guy that I worked with had a tatoo on his forearm of a topless hula girl. Those of us that worked with him had no problem with it, but people in other departments did, so he had to wear a bandaid over the top of the dancer until he could get a bikini top put on her permanently. Everybody has their own opinion.

I'm getting a tattoo of Donald Duck on the back of my shoulder:donald:

Wow! Disney has a POLICY regarding tats????? How can that be? Just think of all the ways they could create problems by denying a person with an "offensive" tatoo entry into the parks when they allow breast-feeding, smoking, same-sex couples, and so so many "fashion" no-nos!

As long as a person is not breaking the law, I cannot imagine how they would be denied entry..........:hippie:

(In case its not clear.....I don't think ANYONE should be denied entry! It's a free country. You don't like the looks of something, look the other way!)

Well, I know they have a firm policy for Cast members, which is no visible tatoos at all.

For guests, I would suppose they might have a policy similar to any kind of "dress code" for guests, which is fine by me. I'd rather not have to explain the naked girl and "F-word" tatooed on someone's arm to a 5 year old girl in line for Peter Pan.

If you think your tatoo might be inappropriate for a young childs eyes, you might see if there's a way you can make it less visible to them. As for denying entry, I have no idea, but last I checked, WDW was a business, not a public park, and thus not a "free country".

I don't think in this day and age unless the tattoo has nudity, language or racist markings that Disney would deny entrance and face a possible human rights suit.
Now that being said how many of us remember that in the 60's and 70's males with long hair were denied entry to Disney because of Uncle Walt's feelings toward that "type of behaviour"?:rolleyes1
We all know the urban ledgends about people "disappering" at the parks :rotfl:
I have a tattoo based on the Korean flag would that offend a Japanese tourist? or even a Korean?
Bottom line unless it's totally outrageous I don't think anyones going to say anything.
Fuzzy 164:banana:

I owuld think that a tattoo would have to be obscene to get you asked to cover it up or leave. Nudity, profanity, openly racist, ect. Something that the vast majority of park visitors would have a problem with their children being exposed to.

It would be intereting to see the official document on what is and what is not allowed. Anyone know where it might be?

I don't know what Disney class as "objectionable", but my DH is heavily tattooed - nothing obscene, racist or religious - and has never had a problem. :goodvibes

In fact, a few CM's commented that they liked a particular tattoo, or asked who did the work. The CM at the Kidcot stop in Japan in Epcot even called DD8 by name because it was on her dad's arm! :hippie: He asked who had translated her name for us, and we told him it was another Epcot CM a few years before.

We've never experienced any problems in Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens or on DCL either. :thumbsup2

After a few minutes of searching through the WDW Resort website, I found this under the FAQs for theme parks:

Q. What is the best way to dress for a day at the Parks? Is there any clothing that isn't permissible?

A. The Parks are a casual, family-oriented environment. We suggest you dress comfortably, wear good walking shoes and check the local weather report before you leave for the Parks.
It is an important part of the Disney experience that the Parks are family-friendly. In that spirit, we ask you to use your discretion and common sense regarding your attire in the Parks. Attire that is not appropriate for the Theme Parks (and which may result in refusal of admittance) includes, but is not limited to:

Masks (unless you are dressing up for a particular event)
Easily visible obscene or objectionable language or graphics
Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
Objectionable tattoos

just wondering.... as a kid, what kind of shirt did you have that offended Disney?

Or maybe you should leave her uncovered so they will give you another free t-shirt.:rotfl:

At least you got a new Tshirt. I know a few people who would love that shirt now

(In case its not clear.....I don't think ANYONE should be denied entry! It's a free country. You don't like the looks of something, look the other way!)
Sure - but it's private property, and the property owners can make any rules they want as long as they don't conflict with existing laws.

As the OP knows, Disney WILL require a Guest wearing offensive clothing to change, cover, or leave.

Smoking is legal; breastfeeding is sure as HE77 legal; same sex couples are legal (unless, of course, they're performing sexual acts - not kissing, but actual activities normally practiced in the privacy of one's home); tattoos are legal.

But going back to the "offensive" thing - Disney can, if a tattoo is offensive (nude, obscenities, etc.) require the Guest to cover up the tat, or to leave the park.

Their house, their rules.

Thanks for all the replies, a free t shirt is always nice but I'm easily embarrassed so I think I'll just cover up the ****ies, I've found a plaster does the job quite nicely :)

Just go and enjoy yourself. I imagine Disney would treat an obsene tattoo the way they'd treat a rude t-shirt. Cover it up/change or leave. Keep in mind that rules are kind of relaxed.

I imagine you can get away with PG-13 rated tattoos without an issue. Tattoos showing nudity, swearing, or extreme violence (blood) might be questionable. Keep in mind that this is your vacation. As long as you are not making a scene, you probably will not be bothered.

If you do end up attending any higher-end restaurants on property, it would be custom to cover up anything that could be deemed offensive, just to avoid the issue. You would be sitting in one place longer and have more people notice it, opposed to walking through a park. Use your best judgement.

I guess I'll just be sensible about it, I'll take plenty of plasters so I can cover up any they don't appreciate. Thank you for the advice everybody :)

My husband and I are both heavily tattooed, and didn't have a single issue arise during our 6-day stay in 2007. We are going back again next month (with even more tattoos) so hopefully nothing has changed. I should mention though that neither of us have any tattoos displaying nudity, racism, or anything that could legitimately be deemed offensive. I know some people find tattoos offensive in themselves, but whatchagonnado?

My husband and I are both heavily tattooed, and didn't have a single issue arise during our 6-day stay in 2007. We are going back again next month (with even more tattoos) so hopefully nothing has changed. I should mention though that neither of us have any tattoos displaying nudity, racism, or anything that could legitimately be deemed offensive. I know some people find tattoos offensive in themselves, but whatchagonnado?

I'm finding this thread hysterical (and refreshing). Reading the DISBoards, I tend to feel like most of the people posting are conservative soccer-moms... nothing wrong with that... I'm just laughing that so many people on here seem to be "heavily tattooed!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter