• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you cook??

LGithens

Mouseketeer
There was a neat thread several months ago, where everyone was describing what they like to cook in their villas. I've been searching and can't bring it back up.

Just returned today from 5 nights in a one bedroom villa at BW. We're converted! I don't think we can ever go back to a studio again! Plus the fact that by last night, we were sick of Disney food (and we even pretty much did all sit downs last week).

The idea of always getting a one bedroom and making most of our meals really appeals to me.

So...what are some things you like to cook in your DVC villa??

Lori...workin' on the next trip!

We like to cook in our 1 bedroom as we do at "home".

Roasted whole chicken, tuna noodle caseroles (sp?), turkey burgers, frozen & fresh veggies, salads of all forms, steaks, pork loin, salmon, whole wheat pastas--the list is endless! Enjoy! :)

I love egg white omletes. I make those every morning or so. I make lunches from time to time. I have not made a dinner at WDW, yet. I love the restaurants way too much. :teeth:

We usually do at least a couple of main meals in the villa and always do breakfasts as well as an occational light lunch or supper. For the main meals, we do pretty much as we would at home. It is often chops on the grill or a pot roast dinner, which can be prepared in the morning. Popped in the oven on the mid day break with the timer, to come "home" to a completed meal except for throwing a bit of salad in the bowls. We often do lasagne and salads too. Baked potato bar is a great easy fast noon break type meal, and we like to do pancakes for breakfast, because they fill you up nicely if you are having a late midday sit down meal.

Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, cereal, pancakes etc.. It depends on the morning as sometimes we have a character breakfast. Its fun to have the time to make a bigger breakfast than our normal fast paced home routine.

Lunch: sandwiches but usually we are in the parks

Dinner: Tacos, Fajitas, Salads, Pasta, anything we are in the mood for. We always travel with family and friends so one night we cook a nice big meal for everyone to come over and enjoy.

Your possibilities are endless, just make what you like.

Tacos
Turkey Burgers (I use 1.5 gr turkey, some ketchup, one large egg and one pkg onion soup mix, yum)
Stir fry veggies and chicken

That's about it. Keeps it simple and light.

We can rustle up a pretty good breakfast in even the mods! ;)
Restaurant fare gets tough on the stomach after a few days, for us, anyway.
Since we like to get going early, breakfasts in actually work best for us. Even in the studio: fresh fruit, oatmeal, poached eggs. This upcoming visit we'll have a 1 bedrm so will add homefries.
We like big salads, lettuce or noodle based. Soups are a big favourite, too.
I am a crockpot devotee, ahhh the convenience! We do Thai chicken, pot roast, spaghetti sauce, lima bean soup (& cornbread), chicken stew w/dumplings etc
we all like my 'stuffed' fish--haddock or halibut or...--with shrimp, crab & newburg sauce, toasted sandwiches--
various pastas--pesto; chicken, artichoke w/cream sauce...
We do sit down at lunches. Like off-site or in-rm cking for most dinners.
But I always try to remember I didn't come to the World solely to cook!
:teeth:

the Happy Cooker! :bounce:

Jean

Always do breakfast: cereal, precooked sausauge or bacon, eggs

Sandwiches on the days we come back to rest or frozen pizza

Hot dogs, pasta, ice cream

And that is about it.

We usually order Giodanos which lasts us for 2 meals, character breakfast, we love Pizza Planet, Spoodles, and RC to supplement or quick in room meals.

We do spaghetti and pancakes and waffles for some meals. French toast sometimes we also bring a slow cooker and do a roast in there while we are at the parks then come back to a great roast beef dinner with scalloped potatoes and broccoli or corn yummy. We have cooked many different types of meals while at Disney right down to Kraft Dinner.

We do ham, egg, & cheese sandwiches for breakfast, and always have a fresh fruit salad as well. Coffe & tea, other beverages of choice, chips & dip, cheese & crackers, cookies & sweets. We do not do dinners, but do like doing breakfast because overall, we think it saves time in the morning.

Suggestions I've read elsewhere for suppers in the room:
~Pasta with sauce
~Frozen lasagna
~Other frozen entrees
~Rotisserie chicken with salad, frozen potato products(fries, tater tots etc)
~Caesar salad with chicken
~Sandwiches
~Wraps
~Chef salad
~Burgers and hot dogs(there are barbecue grills at the DVCs...at OKW they tend to be near the pools)

Most people seem to do pretty simple stuff. Some folks who drive (as opposed to flying) there bring a crock pot and have it cooking while they are out at the parks so they come home to a cooked meal with little or no fuss.

I haven't really cooked at the villa's yet but I guesws the things we fix at the lake would work. We usually fix taco's, burgers & hotdog's. I think also getting some frozen fajita meat & lasgna would be great. Of course I would love to be able to charcoal some steaks or have some ribs and brisket but I guess that might be to much trouble.

dianeschlicht said:
It is often chops on the grill or a pot roast dinner, which can be prepared in the morning.

Diane,
What kind of grills do you use? Do you go to one of the pools or use like a George Forman type grill?

Thanks,
Lori

I purchased an Electric Griddle per the suggestion of Alton Brown from the TV show Good Eats. I purchased the one below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...2-6749098-0285732?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846

The skillet is for eggs, pancakes, burgers or sandwiches and cooks wonderfully. I have grilled chicken on it as well. Its an all around great tool to have in the Villa. My friend turned me on to this and he mails his to the resort before he flys in and its there the first or second day.

Since we are driving this October and spending 10 nights, I am just packing it in the car.

Has anyone every taken their crockpot with them? Start a meal in the morning and it's done when you get back.

Is there room to set one up in a studio? Or are they not allowed at the resorts?

For dinners we've done pizza, spaghetti, mac n'cheese, salad and sandwiches, and sloppy joes It's also great for reheating left overs from some of those wonderful, but way to large, meals in the World.

cruise-o-matic said:
Has anyone every taken their crockpot with them? Start a meal in the morning and it's done when you get back.

Is there room to set one up in a studio? Or are they not allowed at the resorts?

My wife uses a crockpot at home all the time, but I am too nervous to leave it on all day at WDW. Things can change on the fly while on vacation and I don't want to be tied to a crockpot back in the room :)

I have always been nervous of crockpots (fire) and when my wife uses one, she is normally home for the day.

JimFitz said:
My wife uses a crockpot at home all the time, but I am too nervous to leave it on all day at WDW. Things can change on the fly while on vacation and I don't want to be tied to a crockpot back in the room :)

I have always been nervous of crockpots (fire) and when my wife uses one, she is normally home for the day.

I agree some crockpots are hard to deal with.

Although I tend to avoid crockpots altogether myself.

I have used Crockpots over the decades, and never had a problem. Like any appliance, the cords & plugs should be in impeccable condition. I believe they have a superior safety record, especially when compared to some of the most popular automatic coffee makers :earseek:
I will purchase a cheapo--for about $15 -$25--in Orlando, use it, then donate it to a charity. We will save far more than the purchase price, it'll be good home cooking & the convenience can't be beat! ;)
You can also send yr own along to the resort, the same way you can mail other items to yrself to be used during a vacation stay. Phone the resort, ask if they accept pkgs--I understand some may not--clearly label, noting arrival dates, also. Call & confirm it's arrival.
If you fall in love with yr new cheap crockpot, send it back to yrself

Jean

We always do breakfast in the room. Cereal/yogurt/fruit and home-made egg Mcmuffins (we always bring a small non-stick frypan from home).

We are a family of 3, so we purchase Michelinas microwavable entrees from Walmart (around $1 each) and often have them for lunch with salad, coleslaw or fruit.

Dinner is MY vacation--so we usually go out to eat!! :flower:

We usually do breakfast in the villa and I always purchase items for a quick lunch (sandwich stuff, etc.) However, it seems like I'm always throwing out the sandwich stuff before we leave because we tend to stay in the parks a little longer than planned and then decide to get something quick in the parks. I've never cooked an evening meal in the villa yet; however, last summer my sister in law did a roast, potatoes, and all the trimmings. She also cooked a ham while there. Also, DH has to have iced tea - so I use the stove for making tea just about every day!

We usually have breafast in the villa, fruit, bagels and cream cheese or cereal. If we do have lunch in the villa, it is always sandwiches. I do not cook dinner. We usually got out for dinner, or we will call Giordano's and have pizza. If you call them just be prepared for an hour's wait before delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter