What do you mean? There’s more to the US East Coast than NYC '07 TR? Homeward bound

Now looking down from ESB. I really like how you can see Broadway cutting through

ESBviewlookingdown.jpg

ESBlookingdown1.jpg

And some random shots...

Radio City

RadioCity.jpg

As seen from the 3 hour Circle line cruise -

Yankee Stadium

YankeeStadium.jpg

Lady Liberty

LadyLiberty.jpg

Ellis Island

EllisIsland.jpg

Downtown

DowntownManhatten.jpg

DowntownManhatten1.jpg

Driving across the Brooklyn Bridge

CrossingBrooklynBridge.jpg

City Hall Park

CityHallPark.jpg

This is the sculpture found at the WTC site and recovered. It was then placed in Battery Park and now stands there. I'm not sure if it will be moved back when the site is complete.

WTCSculpture.jpg

This was driving past the WTC site...

WTC3.jpg

WTC2.jpg

WTC1.jpg

Still enjoying your TR - we were in NYC this past weekend, though mostly dealing with our min-van dying on us while we were there. We only got to go to the NY Museum of Natural History. I was hoping to do the Statue of Liberty but we didn't get the chance. Poor dead car is still there...had to rent a car to get home.

...oh, and it isn't a trip to New York if SOMEONE doesn't rip you off! So, don't feel too bad about the cab. Figure your DH tipped for getting the true NYC experience!

SkierPete

The thing was....DH wouldn't even let me say anything to the cabbie. I tried to say something at the second crossing but got hushed up!!! :rotfl2:

That race is on, besides I'm tired of watching those ice skaters.

Done! In this case, I'm likely to be LAST!

New York is a nice city. Good to see your pictures even if they were mostly DH's. I've been there a couple times before. I think our next non Disney trip will not involve cabs, skyscrapers and bustling streets. It will definitely involve shopping!

Shopping in NY or elsewhere?

Ok so here I am going to stomp right in and put in some comparison photos of TOTR and ESB.

Thanks Queenie. Love your pictures.

Boston – Follow the Yellow…er….Red…..Brick Road

It was the 4th of July and we were in NYC. DH and I had been in NYC on the 4th of July before and had enjoyed the Macy’s water parade and fireworks along the East River then…along with a million other people….and there had been a bit of debate about whether we spend another 4th of July in NYC or not.

In the end, surprisingly, my mum decided that she did not want to be around that many people and we chose to head towards Boston, where we would catch the fireworks there instead.

So, we picked up a car hire early in the morning and headed on out of NYC.

Road to Boston

We decided to meander up the 95 into Connecticut, past Rhode Island and into Massachusetts.

Yes, I know we could have taken a more direct route but I like collecting the US State Road Maps that are handed out by the State-run Tourist Information stops for a number of years. These maps are/were handed out mostly free of charge; but you needed to find the highly rare Tourist Information stops. I’ve managed to pick up about 20 or 30 but am not sure if I’ve got all of them anymore.

The route I chose was one that would give me the best chance of coming across these State-run stops.

On our way, we came across a little town that all the adults wanted to stop in…..Mystic. Did you know that Mystic Pizza was one of the first…if not the very first….movie Julia Roberts was in? Well…we wanted to find out if there really was a Mystic Pizza.

It is a very small town…there is one main street that we stopped in; and there was another part of the town 5 minutes drive away that we didn’t visit.

IMG_3854.jpg

The Mystic River runs through town.

IMG_3856.jpg

And we were lucky enough to be in town at the right time.

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

This was a taste of what was a common sight and occurrence in this part of the world. All in all, the whole bridge raising process takes about 10 minutes maximum…and DS was complete enchanted with the whole viewing experience.

DH and I were very amused by this establishment.

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

Someday, I’d like to have a business card that reads “Drinking Consultant” as my job title!

We had a ‘snack’ at Mystic and found a cute little café that served Clam Chowder. Seriously…the best chowder I have yet to have. The chef must have had an East Asian background because both mum and I could taste curry in the chowder! Absolutely spectacular.

We went in search of the Mystic Pizza and the Mystic fridge magnet. Yes, there is a Mystic Pizza but we could not find a fridge magnet in any of the dozen or so tourist shops we walked in. Turns out that the New Englanders have certain standards and tacky fridge magnets did not cut the grade. So, I ended up with a watercolour etching of Mystic to bring home.

The other thing that struck us was that home architecture was rather different in this part of the US….Shingles!

P7050438.jpg

Boston

Our home in Boston was literally a home.

We had looked at hotels in downtown Boston and I was astonished to find that Boston hotel rates were as high as room rates in New York city. But before I could settle on a hotel, we had an unexpected offer from one of DH’s work colleagues to go stay with her.

She lives in Newton, which is on the outskirts of Boston and has a 4-bedroom house, separate dining, living, family room, study plus an enclosed porch/sun room. It was an incredibly generous offer and one that DH was keen to accept. We ended up in the 3 spare bedrooms – one for DH and me; one for DS and one for my mum.

We had originally planned to stay 2 nights but we had such a great time with her and she was so generous with her hospitality that we were all convinced to stay an extra night by our host. Turns out she had wanted to organize a mini-meet for DH with some of the other work colleagues that lived in that part of the world and the only night they could all get together was the 3rd night. DH was pretty happy with the mini-meet arrangement and so we stayed the extra night.

We had dinner with her and her partner for all 3 nights – the first night she took us to a nearby Pizza restaurant; the second night my mum cooked noodles as her way of saying thank you; and the third we headed into Boston Chinatown for dinner with the work colleagues. All three meals were great and the company was the best.

As a side note - Sadly, the night we went to have pizza was the 4th July and it rained! So, whilst we went to the site to look at fireworks, it was rained out. I gather it was no better in NYC, so it turned out to be a good decision to keep going rather than staying the extra night.

From her place, it took us about 20 - 30 minutes drive on the Massachusetts Turnpike to get into downtown Boston. We headed into Boston every day that we were there, getting in about 10 am and leaving around 4 pm to avoid the traffic.

IMG_3867.jpg

Parking in Boston cost about $17 per day and we parked underneath the Boston Common.

IMG_3935.jpg

We used the Boston public Transport system to get around and found it to be extremely convenient and reliable…particularly the train system.

IMG_3931.jpg

There were heaps of attractions that we didn’t do in Boston – I found it hard to find activities to keep DS interested in Boston. The adults were interested in the historic Boston and whilst there were kids museums and activities a-plenty; we ended up doing a fair amount of activities that were more geared towards adults, rather than entertaining my then 7 year old.

Here are some of our highlights.

Boston Common

Boston Common is the oldest city park in the US. The Common has been used as cow pastures, a camping ground for the British, an area for public hangings, protest grounds and the park.

It was a very logical starting point for us in Boston. Not only did we park the car there everyday, it also forms one end of the Freedom Trail and we picked up a free walking tour from the Common; plus it was an access point to the Boston subway, which is the oldest subway system in the US.

It was also a very pretty patch of green…and we all enjoyed walking around the Common and taking in the views.

The Soldiers and Sailor’s monument, in memory of the soldiers that died in the Civil War.

IMG_3869.jpg

The Frog Pond, which is a public skating rink in the winter months.

IMG_3868.jpg

Brewer Fountain, the first piece of public art in the Common.

IMG_3871.jpg

The Swan Boats have been part of the Common for over 130 years and I don’t think that there is any other park in the world where you can enjoy a ride.

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

The lovely gardens that even DS thoroughly enjoyed walking through. It was a great way to spend the last hour of each of the days we were in Boston.

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

P7060460.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

(Continued in Next Post)

(Continued from Previous Post)

The Freedom Trail and that Red Brick Road

There is a tourist information center in the Boston Common and when we wandered in there on our first day, we found that they operated free walking tours of the Freedom Trail. A word of caution – it is advertised to take 2 hours; but we found 3 hours was closer to the actual duration.

All the adults decided to sign up for the tour as there was one starting within 30 minutes of us getting there. The lone voice of dissention was from the 7 year old. If you take a look at his face in the Brewer Fountain shot, you’ll realize that he was one very unhappy walker. And this was at the START of the tour.

Our guide…

IMG_3870.jpg

(OMG – Could he talk or what?? I suspect he was the reason that we overran by an hour!)

The Freedom Trail is approximately 2 – 3 miles long to walk along a red-brick walking trail. Yes – just Follow the Red Brick Road and you’ll pass by the 15 or 16 historic sites that make up this trail.

The Park Street Church – voices against prison reform, woman suffragettes, protests against slavery filled this church over time.

IMG_3874.jpg

The Granary Burying Ground, resting place of many of Boston’s famous people.

P7060440.jpg

P7060439.jpg

P7060442.jpg

P7060441.jpg

Old City Hall

P7060444.jpg

Our guide lost me at the Great Spring of Boston. He told us that it was a spring that provided the water supply to most of Boston; as well as the sewage system for Boston of old. I managed to butt in to ask what happened to the Spring and where all that water went to. He couldn’t answer and I had to ask our hosts about it. Turns out that there were so many wells sunk that the water table fell and the spring became a trickle. The trickle still flows…underneath the paving but is no longer used.

IMG_3875.jpg

The alleys along the way.

IMG_3881.jpg

Faneuil Hall, historic building but now a shopping area.

P7060447.jpg

Samuel Adam’s statue is in front of Faneuil Hall….well, his bahookie or the back (side). He demanded that the British leave Boston.

IMG_3877.jpg

Paul Revere’s house was another historic site along the way.

IMG_3883.jpg

And in this case, it wasn’t The British Are Coming….it was definitely the Aussies!

IMG_3885.jpg

Our guide was running very late and our tour finished up at Paul Revere’s statue. We didn’t even make it to the USS Constitution!

P7060448.jpg

But by this stage, DS was well and truly done! Our very unhappy 7 year old…on the trail….but not really with us.

IMG_3876.jpg

Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market

Without a doubt, after the Boston Common, Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market was the area in Boston that we all wanted to spend time in…and we must have come back here everyday.

For us Aussies, it was a shopper’s delight and a foodie’s heaven. Within the two buildings, we pretty much had most of the name brands, restaurants, tourist shops, street entertainment and historic ambience that we would want to find.

Faneuil Hall

IMG_3893.jpg

Souvenier stalls and craft market goods a-plenty in this area. And that building to the right is a mall!

IMG_3896.jpg

You can find the pretend Cheers Bar here, complete with the authentic reproduction interior of the Cheers set.

IMG_3897.jpg

Quincy Market

IMG_3895.jpg

Inside Quincy Market

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

(I deserve this drink after my parents made me walk that thin red line!)

The beautiful domed roof in Quincy Market.

IMG_3888.jpg

(Continued in Next Post)

Beacon Hill

Beacon Hill is a historic district in downtown Boston famous for brownstone buildings. It is effectively the Double Bay or Toorak of Boston.

IMG_3906.jpg

P7060450.jpg

Like everywhere else in the US at this time, patriotism was all the rage.

IMG_3901.jpg

We took a walk through the neighbourhood.

P7060452.jpg

P7060454.jpg

P7060453.jpg

We walked there on-route to the real Cheers bar, where the interior looks nothing like the set!

P7060455.jpg

Quack! Quack! – The Duck Tour

If you should go to the Common, one of the things that seems synonymous with Boston is Ducks! Seems like there is a nostalgic view about ducks in Boston. And if you don’t believe me, just google the book “Make Way for Ducklings”…and my shot of Mt Vernon Street wasn’t for nothing.

IMG_3916.jpg

And ducks seem to be the thing to do in Boston! If you can’t beat them….get on a Dukw! Which is precisely what we did.

The Boston Duck tour is not the only duck tour in the world…it is not even the first duck tour in the world….but it had one thing going for it….we were in Boston with money to spare!

What is a Ducw? Well…..it comes in many colours….

P7060463.jpg

But DS loved purple at this age…

P7060462.jpg

We headed off and drove along the Freedom Trail, pretty much seeing what we had seen on the Walk but at a much quicker pace. DS was much happier with this tour!

We also drove past other parts of Boston….and its architecture.

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

P7070471.jpg

Another one of DS special pictures!

IMG_3951.jpg

The Ducw is meant to be an amphibious vehicle…

IMG_3937.jpg

…so into the water we headed.

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

Our driver…

IMG_3943.jpg

…no, not him…

P7070467.jpg

…HIM! He let all the kids on board take a turn of the wheel when we got in the water.

IMG_3954.jpg

We got to drive on it…but here was a decent shot of the Big Dig of Boston….the most expensive road construction project in the US to date.

IMG_3936.jpg

Having driven along this road for the 3 days we were there, traffic flowed well…even when we hit the dreaded peak hour traffic on one of the afternoons!

(Continued in Next Post)

Harvard

Harvard University is the oldest university in the US. It is also a private university that supports approximately 25,000 staff, students and post-grads.

It is named after it’s founder, John Harvard.

P7070485.jpg

We caught the subway from the Common and it was an easy ride into the heart of Harvard. The train station was right in the Student Village. When we came out of the station, we noticed signs advising that the students ran free walking tours of the campus. So we signed up for the next one. Should any of you head this way, do yourself a favour….do NOT sign up. The student we got leading our tour effectively pleaded for tips and did not tell us any significant information about the campus. We got his drinking stories instead.

So, after about 20 minutes, we ditched the tour and walked around ourselves. We may not be any wiser about the buildings or the history of Harvard, but at least we didn’t have the aggravation of outright begging. And yes, I appreciate that every student is different…but I’m not going to recommend the free walking tour based on my one experience to anyone.

So, here are the pictures we took of Harvard.

IMG_3979.jpg

We spent ages here….waiting for the tour guide to stop asking for money.

P7070474.jpg

DS got thirsty at some stage…

IMG_3990.jpg

P7070477.jpg

….and found some water elsewhere.

P7070480.jpg

Memorial Church, dominates the skyline in Harvard.

IMG_3996.jpg

Memorial Hall. We weren’t allowed into the hall…

IMG_3993.jpg

P7070484.jpg

….but we were allowed to walk through to see one window…

IMG_3994.jpg

The library…

P7070486.jpg

…is huge!

P7070487.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

The Student Village is amazing! It is a shopping district in it’s own right. We had a hard time getting DS out of here.

IMG_4002.jpg

(Continued in Next Post)

North End

The historic North End or Little Italy in Boston is one of the oldest neighbourhoods in America. It has been a center for the wealthy Bostonians, the Irish migrants, the first freed slaves, the Jewish community and lately the Italians.

Hanover Street is the main eating street in the North End; and we walked down here during the Freedom Trail walk.

We did come back for dinner one night….on the night before we flew back out to the West Coast which is still three days away…and the Italian food we had was great.

But the friends we were staying with had recommended one particular institution to go to. Mike’s Pastry! We made a beeline for it and picked up the most amazing Canolli I’ve had outside of Italy. Seriously good.

But there was one thing about the North End that we stumbled over and was not aware was there.

At the end of Hanover Street and heading towards Faneuil Hall, we found the Holocaust Memorial.

There are 6 glass towers like this, each one representing a different Death Camp.

IMG_4005.jpg

You can walk through the towers…

IMG_4003.jpg

….and see the registration numbers of the victims etched in the glass. Very sad.

IMG_4004.jpg

More views of Boston, North End near Faneuill Hall

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

P7070489.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

We had dinner in Chinatown with our friends one night…yes there is a Chinatown there, near the theatre district. The food was pretty good, very Cantonese. I wished I had more time to explore the Chinatown….oh well, next time!

IMG_4022.jpg

I will finish up Boston with this shot.

IMG_4014.jpg

I did ask DH about it….turns out he was interested in the legs!! I can't really fault him....he's always had GREAT tastes in women!

BUTT given my very loose bahookie sub-sub-theme, it’s a perfect ENDing to the Boston chapter.

princess::upsidedow

Hey! Do you remember where in Newton you stayed? My grandparents lived there and that is where I spent my childhood summers! Did you go into the centre where three streets form a triangle around the parking area? It was near the street car stops. My granparents house was just up Langley Road about 2-3 blocks!

What a cool trip you had there. Too bad about the begging college students. We went to the real Cheers pub too...nothing like the set.

Love the Boston portion of the trip. The history in that town is amazing, love the buildings too.

You've definitely given me a taste to visit.

Sadly, I would prefer the copy of the set Cheers to the real Cheers if it didn't look the same inside :rotfl2:

What a cool trip you had there. Too bad about the begging college students. We went to the real Cheers pub too...nothing like the set.

Clearly a student from BU and not Havard.

Oh and the pub, a total tourist trap and nothing more.

Clearly NOT an MIT student as they only speak in computer equations. (coming from the daughter of two grads). :rotfl2:

Hey! Do you remember where in Newton you stayed? My grandparents lived there and that is where I spent my childhood summers! Did you go into the centre where three streets form a triangle around the parking area? It was near the street car stops. My granparents house was just up Langley Road about 2-3 blocks!

WOW! You've really lived east and west coast, haven't you?

I could ask DH where his colleague lives but I think it was off Chestnut....somewhere.

I do remember the centre. I think that's where we went for pizza.

Love the Boston portion of the trip. The history in that town is amazing, love the buildings too.

You've definitely given me a taste to visit.

Sadly, I would prefer the copy of the set Cheers to the real Cheers if it didn't look the same inside :rotfl2:

The funny thing is that the Cheers set replica was really touristy but the real Cheers had the stairs leading down, so the outside looked more authentic. We took pictures with all of us on the stairs and that was really cool. You kinda have to do both.

I didn't stop to ask the student where he studied....so you could be on to something here! :rotfl2:

Clearly NOT an MIT student as they only speak in computer equations. (coming from the daughter of two grads). :rotfl2:

Personally, I'm a wannabe. Happy to be a Harvard or MIT student....heck....even a BU student would be acceptable! (Don't know if I could afford the fees).

PIO, what a great update on Boston. The purple duck was just awesome! Ok so maybe that makes me sound rather uncultured...the historic buildings were fantastic too of course!

Thanks for including Mystic! I actually really like the movie, and now if I go, I know not to waste time looking for magnets (we collect them...sigh add another point towards the uncultured label)

Pix of Boston always make me want to go there! Looks like you hit the highlights pretty well. Love the North End...love the Commons. I may be a New Yorker for the last 18 years, but my heart lies with my beloved Massachusetts.

PIO, what a great update on Boston. The purple duck was just awesome! Ok so maybe that makes me sound rather uncultured...the historic buildings were fantastic too of course!

Thanks for including Mystic! I actually really like the movie, and now if I go, I know not to waste time looking for magnets (we collect them...sigh add another point towards the uncultured label)

Maybe money-making Mystic magnets might magically manifest......:rolleyes:

......it has been 5 years. :thumbsup2

(And if you find them, I'd like 2 please! One for me, one for mum. :rotfl:)

Pix of Boston always make me want to go there! Looks like you hit the highlights pretty well. Love the North End...love the Commons. I may be a New Yorker for the last 18 years, but my heart lies with my beloved Massachusetts.

Massachusetts was beautiful. Were you born there?

Thanks. I did wonder if we missed out on any key highlights in Boston. Glad to know that we got most of the touristy things.

Massachusetts was beautiful. Were you born there?

Thanks. I did wonder if we missed out on any key highlights in Boston. Glad to know that we got most of the touristy things.

Yep, until I left for college. I like living in Buffalo a lot (Prices are a lot more reasonable, less traffic, Toronto being so close.) but there are a lot of things I miss about New England.

LOVE your Boston photos! Everything was white and frozen when we visited so it's great to see it in colour, and to see the Frog Pond in a liquid state. Looks like a completely different city!

:lmao: at the last photo. I'm sure she's not a patch on you!

Yep, until I left for college. I like living in Buffalo a lot (Prices are a lot more reasonable, less traffic, Toronto being so close.) but there are a lot of things I miss about New England.

Lucky you!

LOVE your Boston photos! Everything was white and frozen when we visited so it's great to see it in colour, and to see the Frog Pond in a liquid state. Looks like a completely different city!

:lmao: at the last photo. I'm sure she's not a patch on you!

:mad: Literally! I'm at least twice her size now!!

Kennebunkport – Where there is a Will, there is a Whalebone

Every trip that we go on, DH and I try to leave at least 2 or 3 nights completely unplanned so that we can be itinerant gypsies. For this trip, we had decided that after Boston, we would sort-of head either north or east, depending on the weather and how the wind blew. We had originally thought 3 nights but because we got convinced to stay for the mini-work meet, it got cut back to 2 nights.

Why do we do this? We both love the freedom, joy and pleasure of having no fixed plans or having to stick to any schedule every now and again. We also love the sheer adventure feeling of wondering what the next corner will bring.
Sadly, planning a trip to the World these days sure brings the opposite…..not that there is anything wrong with it.
It isn’t for everyone – some people just get stressed about not knowing where they are going to sleep or eat during the day – and in all these years of travel like this, DH and I (B.C) have actually had to sleep in the car about 2 or 3 times in the past; and we only do this in summer. So, it does come with a caveat emptor.

I think when we mentioned it to the friends we were staying with (particularly at the dinner in Chinatown), they were all horrified. We had all sorts of well-meaning advice on where to go because “it was a universally acknowledged truth that a man (or a woman) without any fixed plans must be in want of a plan!”

Before the dinner was out, our friends were convinced that we were to drive up the coast and stay at Ogunquit or Kennebunkport. And they were universally convinced that we were heading for disaster given that we did not have any accommodation booked. Our friends even said that they would keep our rooms opened should we need to head back to Boston.

If DH and I had been left to our own devises, we would have been heading for the hills in the opposite direction instead. Unfortunately for us, we had two of the most law-abiding travel companions you could never hope to have traveling with us….my mum and DS. They both sat through dinner listening to all the chatter and were most alarmed.

The next morning….you could have cut the anxiety with a knife in the car! The “Are We There Yet” started before we were out of the driveway…..and my mum….well…..lets just say that I didn’t help her fight against the gray much that day.

It turns out that DS had decided that “There” was going to be beside the seaside. I had suspected that DS had inherited my stubborn streak and there was no doubt about this after this morning. He’d heard the chatter and kept asking when we were going to see the sea. Over.and.over.and.over.and.over.again.

So the sea it was.

But our backseat drivers didn’t have it all their way.

Salem – A history lesson

DH and I decided to stop by Salem, on a whim. DH has an interest in New Age things and he had been advised that despite the historic ties to all things witchy, Salem offered a range of shops geared towards the New Age. I don’t know where he heard that from…but boy! Did he get bad advise or what!

We didn’t have a lot of time to spare, we figured 2 hours at best. And Salem seemed to be a very small town.
We drove past a number of wicca shops and Halloween shops and seriously wondered if we should stay.

IMG_4040.jpg

We found a parking spot and headed towards the wonderful tourist information they have in town. Seems we were following the red line here too.

IMG_4041.jpg

The tourist information was really great. We told them we wanted to see what Salem had in store for 2 hours and that we had a 7-year old boy with us. The guy behind the counter immediately recommended that we stay clear of the Witch Museum and head towards the waterfront instead.

He pointed us in the direction of the Friendship of Salem.

IMG_4045.jpg

DS was immediately interested in getting on board….

P7080492.jpg

…and enjoyed the short break from the hot sun.

P7080491.jpg

We learnt a few things that day.

P7080494.jpg

The friendly tourist information man had also recommended we stop by the House of the Seven Gable.

P7080497.jpg

And I had a history lesson myself, of sorts, and learnt a few things.

I did not know a single thing about the House of the Seven Gables, written by Nathaniel Hawthorn; but my mum sure did.
Turns out it was a book she did as part of English Literature way back when….I didn’t know they did English Lit back then!

P7080498.jpg

We had a tour through the house and my mum was just amazing….she knew all the answers to every question the guide asked about the book. No one else on the tour with us had read the book either….much less quote chapter and verse!

DS also had a great morning, as there was a demonstration of toys from the 17th Century happening in the back yard.

P7080499.jpg

He really enjoyed the state of the art Jacob’s Ladder…

P7080501.jpg

….and the Hoop!

P7080500.jpg

I had no idea that he would be so mesmerised by toys without batteries included!

And then it was time to hit the road again……

(Continued in Next Post)

Kennebunkport at LAST!

DH and I finally decided it was time to work out where we were to stay for the night and we decided to take a look at Ogunquit. We found it to be very open, pretty and completely not what we were looking for, to the disgust of our two traveling companions.

We kept going to Kennebunkport and here…was….finally….the little sleepy town we had hoped to find.

IMG_4053.jpg

P7090511.jpg

We looked for accommodation and we had checked out the 4 hotels/motels in town. Two were booked out, one was over $500 per night and the last one had a rather drab room with 4 beds in it for $250 per night. We asked if there were any other accommodation options and were told that there was a road heading towards the sea that had another 4 or 5 hotels. We finally came across the Nonantum Resort. It looked incredibly out of our price range but DH and I thought it was worth checking.

Turns out they had a weekend special. Room rates were normally $425 per night; but because we had hit them on the 7th of the 7th 2007, they were offering rooms with a ‘7’ number for $277. Catch was…it was a two-night minimum.

The girl behind the counter suggested that we take a look at one of the rooms before making a decision, which is exactly what DH and I did.

We were given two room keys and when we got to the second room…..this was the view from the balcony!

IMG_4050.jpg

P7090504.jpg

(low tide)

IMG_4112.jpg

(looking the other way)

SOLD!

Both my mom and DS were relieved to know that they were staying here for 2 nights. I don’t think playing wandering gypsy sits well with DS and I’d like to know where he inherited that from! Certainly not from either parent!

The resort was fantastic…it had a pool….

P7090507.jpg

…and all the amenities you would expect; including an amazing restaurant where we had dinner that night. The adults all settled on the lobster dinner – clam chowder to start, followed by a 2 lb cooked lobster with 2 sides … all for $27. Breakfast was also served in the restaurant and I have the vague recollection that hot breakfast buffet was included in the room tariff.

Kennebunkport itself was delightful. As best as I can work out, this was the closest that came to the center of town, where two streets intersected.

IMG_4062.jpg

It didn’t have the usual touristy shops…sure there were some….and I do have a fridge magnet from this place….but the shops were more upmarket…

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

….and there was a presidential link!

In fact…if you followed the road the resort was on and kept going round two or three corners, you’d come across this compound…..

P7090517.jpg

(view from the ocean)

P7100574.jpg

(view from the other side)

…owned by the Bushes.

We were pretty lucky to have hit Kennebunkport the week we did….the week before, it had been crawling with secret servicemen and security as President Bush Jr had come visiting ex-President Bush Sr with his special guest, President Putin. The locals were all buzzing from the visit.

We did see a great big boat going down the river towards the sea when we were in the pool…with 3 boats of Men In Black, complete with sunglasses. We figured Bush Sr must have been going out fishing!

This particular corner of town was also another draw card.

IMG_4072.jpg

This is THE Clam Shack, that the Bushes love and has fed practically every foreign dignitary to visit here.

Can I just say that the Crab and Lobster Rolls here were just out of this world? About 1 lb of pure crab meat or lobster, freshly cooked and peeled, sandwiched between a toasted bun and a wonderful tartare sauce to dress the crab meat. The crab meat in my bun was still warm….and DH's lobster roll was to die for.

And we also enjoyed the Lemonade Stand…

IMG_4076.jpg

(yes, more bahookie...)

…this drink was the perfect accompaniment to that Crab Roll.

IMG_4075.jpg

All in all, we had 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 2 dinners in Maine/New Hampshire area. Not counting breakfast, I think we had lobster or crab for lunch and dinner for every meal. It was so cheap in 2007, compared to prices in Oz.

Here’s an example of dinner….we had this on the second night. Again we had a clam chowder starter with the 2 lb lobster and 2 fixings for $25.

IMG_4113.jpg

(Continued in Next Post)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter