What do you think of our Dec itinerary for 1st timers?

CaliforniaDreamer

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Any suggestions appreciated for this 5 day, first time ever WDW Itinerary (we are so excited!)

Two adults, 40s, will probably buy 1 or 2 APs, will have a car.

12/14 Tuesday: Check in around 4-5 GF lagoon. Like to do Dquest (how long to drive or monorail better?). If room has nice view of castle wouldn’t mind having dinner on balcony but not sure if that can be booked the day of? Or Narcooses – see Electrical Water Pag.?

12/15 Wed (early entrance Epcot day) –Epcot. Lunch – international snacks. Dinner – Bluezoo? Contemporary Grill? Or back at GF.

12/16 Thur: Since it’s early MK entrance day I’m thinking we’ll go early to get on a couple of my favorite rides then leave. May rest at lunch at GF or fit in WL horse trail ride which Dh really wants. LTT PS booked, want to change it to CRT, have MVMCP tickets! Snow! Cocoa!

12/17 Fri: check out of GF as late as possible (how late do they let you?). Check in AKL cl. See AK. Sunset Safari and dinner booked.

12/18 Saturday: Drive to pick up MIL (70s and fit) at airport, arrives 9:45. Get her checked in at AKL. Day open – probably AK with her, Festival of Lion King, Safari ride, then to MGM for Great movie ride. Osbourne lights. Thinking of booking the Brown Derby and Fantasmic (7PM?)? And then booking, if I’m lucky, Illuminations Pontoon boat. (is there time for all this? – we really want the boat most of all).

12/19 Sunday this is MIL’s b-day which she usually gets cheated out of because it’s so close to Christmas so we’ll get her the button. Epcot day for her with international snacks.
5:10 Le Cellier 8:25 CP show (I hope it’s not too cold?). Nightcap at AKL. (I would have liked to do the boat on her b-day but we already had booked the CP which she will love).

12/20 checkout

So WDW experts please feel free to comment on anything that looks hard or something I've missed.
We are not ones for thrill rides. We know Disneyland so except for favs like Haunted Mansion and Pirates, won’t need to duplicate most DL rides.

:bounce::cake:

Only two things jumped out at me and one was the question on how to get to Disney Quest. You will need to drive or take the bus since the monorail doesn't go there. The other thing is it looks like Fantasmic may be at 8 PM in December based on this years November hours. Last year it was at 7 but this year it seems to be at 8 and I wonder if this is not because of the lights being their. If so I would guess that you would not be able to do both.

Mostly I really like your plan. It's not rushed and gives you a feel for all the parks. These are just my suggestions:
-You may be bored if you spend over a full day at AK. You can do it in a day, so the next morning you will be repeating what was seen the day before. If the MIL wants to see this especially, then maybe just tour it with her and do more of MK on that day instead.
-Following on from above, more time in MK! Disneyland is different and you may find yourself wishing you had scheduled more time here. Nowhere else gives you that special feeling. Don't miss Philarmagic, Buzz Lightyear and the new Stitch's Escape. I think its going to be a good one. If you have a PS at LTT then you should be ok for Wishes.
-Seeing Fantasmic and then the cruise does seem to be rushing it. I think the boat leaves dock around 8:30 but you may not get out of MGM till 7:45 if Fantasmic is a 7pm show. How about Fantasmic on wed 12/15 and a late dinner afterwards as you have more Epcot time scheduled elsewhere? You would still have plenty of Epcot time on that day anyway.
All the restaurants sound good and choosing will be hard. Check out the menu at allears.net to help if you haven't already.

I hope I don't sound too critical. I don't mean to be at all, I love your plan and you are going to have a great trip, I just hope my ideas are a help.
Much pixie dust,
Claire

Thank you PA disneylover and fizz! Fizz, your comments are great! If I just wanted you to ooh and ahh I would have said so. :) This is what I'm looking for and could use more eyes.

Should I try to fit in MK for my MIL Sunday morning - kind of a shame for her not to see it.

revised schedule so far:

12/14 Tuesday: Check in 4-5 GF lagoon. Dquest. Dinner on balcony if can be booked that late or Narcooses. Or forgo Dquest and get tickets for MMVCP (in case of bad weather on 16th).

12/15 Wed Epcot. Lunch – international snacks. MGM Fantasmic (7PM?)? brown derby dinner (after if Fant. is 7 and before if it’s 8).

12/16 Thur: MK entrance day morning. Rest at lunch at GF. LTT PS booked, want to change it to CRT, MVMCP.

12/17 Fri: check out and check in AKL cl. Lunch at whispering and WL horse trail ride. AKL Sunset Safari and dinner booked.

12/18 Saturday: airport in AM, check MIL in at AKL. AK with her, Festival of Lion King, Safari ride, then to MGM for Great movie ride. Osbourne lights. Illuminations Pontoon boat

12/19 Sunday: (not sure if MK in AM) Epcot.
5:10 Le Cellier 8:25 CP show.

Thanks!

I would bring your MIL to MK in the morning on the last day I think for most people the MK is a must do! On the first night you if you don't do dinner on the Bacony you might consider dining at Ohana's at the Poly and then watching the Electrical Water Pagent afterwards on the beach and then monorail back to the GF!

Scout's mom, good ideas. I just realized one big problem - my MIL arrives Sat AM and checks out with us Monday AM. She'll need a ticket that hops parks for Sat and Sunday (2 days and 2 nights) but I don't see that kind of ticket. I will have an AP (for the room rate and I may return within a year), I guess DH will get a 5 day park hopper - but what kind of ticket do I get my MIL?

How about getting your MIL an Ultimate Park Hopper when you check into AKL? You could drop the first day (Friday) and the last day (monday) (probably) if you purchase it at the desk. That what we did for my mom when we brought her.

Osborne Lights start around 6PM. You could do them and still get over to the BW or YC to pick up your cruise. You could take the Friendship Boat over to where you pick up your cruise from Disney Studios.

This is my suggestion of how to do your trip. I am no expert, but I do know a couple of things about how to make this stuff work. We went for during the same time last year. It was awesome. We don't have kids either. Take my suggests or leave them. I just thought I would offer up my opinion. Have an awesome pre-holiday trip! Maggie

12/14 Tuesday:
Check in 4-5 GF lagoon.
Go to MK as early as 4pm for MMVCP. It's open until 12 midnight.
This is the best bang for your buck on arrival day!

12/15 Wed
Sleep Late....trust me, you will need it.
Epcot. Lunch – international snacks.
Stay for the Tree Lighting and enjoy the Lights of Winter

12/16 Thur:
Up Early
MK Extra Magic Hour
Rest at lunch at GF.
Go to MGM
Fantasmic!
brown derby dinner (after if Fant. is 7 and before if it’s 8).
See the Osborne Lights.....open for viewing up to 1 hour after park close

12/17 Fri:
check out and check in AKL cl.
Lunch at Whispering Canyon and WL horse trail ride.
AKL Sunset Safari and dinner booked.

12/18 Saturday:
airport in AM, check MIL in at AKL.
AK stay until close at 5pm
Illuminations! Pontoon boat

(just a suggestion....consider possibly treating your MIL to something really special instead of going to the park this day. Take her to the GF for the Afternoon Tea. This is not for everyone, but as I am sure you know, the GF is worth visiting during this time of year just to see the decorations and have the chance to hear the Voices of Liberty sing carols.)

12/19 Sunday:
Epcot.....great day to tour this park!
5:10 Le Cellier/8:25 CP package

do take into consideration your particular likes ..we love ak and would not skip it ( imo 1 day is not enough as you need to take your time here)& also epcot so i would guess we are more the types who like to be entertained but learn something also, while we pick and choose at mk( it'a cute but mostly "fluff") we would be most likely to be able to do it in 1/2 a day, especially with no thrill rides so what do you like most? everything at wdw is great to someone so you just have to figure out what it most appealing to you

that being said i think your original looks good! not to busy ( except maybe the fantasmic( which we didn't think was all that great, pales incomparison to wishes or ill.)/boat glitch

not sure why you want to check out of gf as late as possible.. you don't need to wait to check into ak at 3 if that is what you are thinking, they'll keep your luggage and put it in your room when it's ready so you can go about your business if you want.

This is so great to get this help! Jann, the only reason I thought we'd check out late at GF is because we'd be tired from MVMCP the night before. You make some good points as we don't do the thrill rides and we know some of the MK from DL (although I have heard many of the rides are different, which is fun). I'm glad you mentioned that about fantasmic - we may drop it.

Maggie, thank you so much for the detailed work on our itinerary! What you have done makes so much sense. But one problem is that I have already purchased the MVMCP tickets for 12/16. Also I'm not sure DH can handle staying up late running around MK after a long day of travel (we will be getting up at 4:30 AM and taking 2 planes). But it is appealing to me to see that right away (and if weather is poor later) so I'm torn. Since it is a Tuesday maybe we can decide that day.

Deb, how do I "drop" a day or two from an Ultimate Park Hopper pass?

Originally posted by CaliforniaDreamer

Deb, how do I "drop" a day or two from an Ultimate Park Hopper pass?

When you check into the AKL, tell the CM that you need to purchase an Ultimate Park Hopper for your mother and she will be checking in the next day. Ask them to drop the day you check in and start the ticket on the day your mother arrives (they should be able to drop the first day of your stay there since she will not even be there yet). Plus if you are leaving early on the last day and will not be going to any parks, ask them to drop the last day as well. If you purchase the ticket in advance, you can't drop first or last days, but if you purchase it when you check in, they should be able to do it.

California Dreamer :
Hi ! My family of six will also be on the Sunset Safari on Dec 17th...since the van holds eight I'd be willing to bet we will be touring and having dinner together...Deb:)

Hi Deb, at first I thought that's kind of amazing, but then I realized Dis people probably make up the majority who know about these special treats! That's great, I will PM you.

Deb&Bill, thank you for that tip. I never would have know about that if not for you.

:wave:

Debbart, PM'd you back! :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter