What does an AS in Social work get you??

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
I am sort of interested in becoming a guidance counselor... what does that education look like? What would a 2 year degree in social work get me in the job market? Anyone have knowledge on this subject? Thanks.

From the Princeton Review:
A bachelor’s degree is required to become a high school guidance counselor, and some states require that the candidate have a master’s degree. Coursework should include social studies, psychology, and communications work, with an emphasis on public speaking. Courses dealing with education are important too; many private schools require that guidance counselors teach courses in addition to their counseling duties. A background in statistics and mathematics is important for evaluating students on their standardized tests. By far the most important skill a potential guidance counselor can bring to this profession is the ability to relate to adolescents. This skill requires a combination of the ability to listen, honesty, an open mind, and a sense of humor. Those who succeed in this profession communicate well with students; those who fail, don’t.

Right now I am in a 4 year program for Rehabilitation. Rehab covers a wide range of subjects from Physical Rehab to Mental.... My concentration is in Counseling which would be for any guidence counselor job... I don't know about Penn. but in Mass to be a guidence coulselor you need to either have competed a masters or in the process of completing... so that is another couple of years on top of the 4 for undergrad...

So then exactly what COULD you do with a 2 year degree? Sometimes I feel like the colleges are "tricking" people into thinking they'll get work or get a better paying job with this associate degress and that it's not always the case?! I feel I am too old to invest 4+ years into a masters degree (I already have 2 years under my belt from Penn State) so I guess the guidance counselor thing will not work for me - but what a great job that would be! Bet the pay is not to shabby either.

Oh well - I'm already enrolled and start in two weeks for Vascular Sonography - just was second guessing myself - nothing new!

Thanks!

Well don't count it out yet. Ask your advisor if Pennsylvannia requires a Masters for Guidence... I know Maine doesn't

Except in med-tech kinds of fields, like Phlebotomy, etc., an "associate" degree in just about any area pretty much gets you nothing, except the benefit of more education, and perhaps slightly better money in a job where the base qualification is a HS diploma.

Get a bachelor's. I know plenty of HS that will hire a guidance counselor with a BS in education and a minor in social work or psychology. Very few districts will hire anyone for professional-level positions (except nurses) without an education degree. I'm a librarian with an MLIS and 20 yrs. professional experience, but I could not get hired by a school district, because neither of my degrees are in Education.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter