What Gift Crafts are you making for Christmas?

Jen117

DIS Veteran
I like to make gifts for certain people in my life, but this year my creative juices haven't been flowing. Does anyone else craft for Christmas? If so, what are you making?

Most of my nieces and nephews are at that "expensive" age, so I am putting a different spin on their gifts this year. They are getting "Winter Fun" kits which include hats &/or gloves (purchased at the end of season last year on clearance!), scrapbook mugs for cocoa (made with whatever theme they happen to be into this year--everything from Hannah Montana to Transformers to Diego) and a board game. Hasbro had their 25% off sale online, so I purchased all the games from there. The gift kits will cost approx. $20-25 per kid when all done. I have purchased stickers for the scrapbooking mugs, but am thinking about finding clipart and making them with Printshop instead.

Last year, my DD (now 2.5) made each set of grandparents one of the foam gingerbread houses (I built the house and she decorated it) and the year before that we made ornaments with Model magic and her handprint.

We are currently in the process of making a 4 pc. set of seasonal hot pads for the grandmas as well. I purchased the blank hot pads from Oriental Trading and invested in some fabric paint. Halloween was a footprint ghost and DD added the face and stars with her finger. Thanksgiving will be the handprint turkey. Christmas will be a tree with her decorating it. Last will be spring/Easter--haven't quite decided what to do with that yet. (They are getting these one at a time as the season approaches, but could be done all at once for a gift.)

Sorry, most of my crafts right now are kid-related. Must be the teacher in me...or the fact that it is just easier to involve her to get them completed! :rotfl:

Oh I like the hot pad idea. 2 years ago I did handprints and then quilted them into little wallhangings for the grandparents.

I was just at a meeting and someone was showing a craft. It was for Halloween, but you can adapt it for Christmas. They took a wooden fence board, painted it, then cut out fabric scraps for starts and a long black cat. The fabric was ironed onto the board with wonder under. I thought it would be cool to do that with a snowman or santa, making them long and skinny. The fabric added texture to the decoration. I think the board was about 3-4 feet long.

Oh, the snowman fence sounds cute! Unfortunately, my family is "practical" If they can't use it, they will throw it away! :lmao: (hence all the 'kitchen crafts!')

Oh, another cool thing I have seen done with the handprints is a Christmas tree skirt. Just one of the plain red ones, embellished with the kids handprints in gold fabric paint with their names and ages added. They could probably also just 'design' one for the grandparents (or YOU!) and it would be a huge hit!

Snowman Soup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My grandkids will be making snowman soup to give to their teachers and bus drivers.

You can purchase Christmas mugs and cellophane bags at the Dollar Store. Gift bags can also be purchased at the Dollar Store.

We make our own Hot chocolate mix. (You can google a recipe)

To make it easier on younger children you could just buy a large box of your favorite hot chocolate mix and use the individual pouches.

Purchase a bag of mini marshmallow's as well as candy canes.

If you like, you can Chocolate dip plastic spoons, sprinkle with crushed candy canes or christmas sprinkles. The chocolate melts can be purchased at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. (melt according to package directions)

Make the hot chocolate recipe, place mix and marshmallows in separate zip-loc bags and then in a seasonal cellophane bag. Include a couple of candy canes and/or chocolate dipped spoons.

We made instruction tags from card stock and attached a little poem.

Snowman's Soup

I was told you've been real good this year
Always glad to hear it
With freezing weather drawing near
You'll need to warm the spirit
So hear's a little snowman soup
Complete with stirring stick
Add hot water, sip it slow
It's sure to do the trick!

www.allfreecrafts.com has some great craft ideas.

I've made the snowman fences a few years ago for my craft fair. I cut out wood like a picket fence, about 6 pickets. Put on a base and then crossboards in the back. At the top ^ of the fence I used as the snowman's face. The ^ I covered with fabric and tied with twine for a hat. Made a snowman face on the face area, made a fabric scarf or fleece,etc. painted black buttons. Then what I did was I took green artificial garland and attached to the bottom of the fence and then put a small set of white lights on the garland. SO darn cute! They also sold VERY well.

I'm making necklaces and earrings for my sisters, and also plan to embroider some pillowcases (let's see how much I can get done).
I'm in grad school and short on cash, but regardless, I miss the days when handmade gifts were exchanged.

It means so much more to me when someone gives a gift from the heart.

This year for Christmas, I am making almost all of my gifts.

For my friends, I crocheted dish clothes in their College colors.

For my Neices & Nephews, I am making name plates for their bedroom. I got an unfinished piece of wood 8"x5" from Hobby Lobby. Painted it. Then got unfinished letters, painted them in coordinating colors and spelled out their names on the board. At Hobby Lobby they have already painted items, like flowers, stars, butterflys, footballs...etc... and they are really cheap. So I got two for each name plate. I am also putting a picture of me with the child on the names plate.

For my sisters/MIL/SIL I am hand stamping tiles and making them coasters.

My husband is making beef jerky for all the men.

For my mother, I am working on a scrapbook. It goes from when she and my dad were married, and through all four kids being born, and up to where we are now.

At work, I always bake some goodies and put them in little goodie boxes.

I am also making Mickey Mouse ornaments/place cards for Christmas dinner at my inlaws.

I am staying busy will all this crafting, but I think handmade crafts are always a little more special.

Bath Salts

3 cups Epson Salts
1 tablespoon Glycerin
scent
coloring

For scent you can use either perfume that you already have or you can purchase scents at craft stores. I get mine at Hobby Lobby and prefer to use them over the perfumes.

For coloring you can use either food coloring...very inexpensive...or dyes for soaps, salts and such at the craft stores.

In a large bowl, mix the epson salts and glycerin until salts are well coated.

Add scent...amount is to your preference and mix well.

Add coloring...amount is to your preference and mix well.

For gifts, you can put the bath salts into gift bags, jars, or whatever might work. I usually get the gift bags at the dollar store. I add a plastic spoon in the bag. You can tie them with ribbon for an extra touch.

I add a small card...have left over address labels or blank business cards that I print on the computer.

"Whatever Scent Bath Salts
To soften your skin and add a nice scent to your bath.
Add 4 - 5 spoonfuls to your bath water and enjoy."

My great niece and I made 100 cups of bath salts this weekend to donate to a local Christmas Gift House for kids to shop in without parents. It's a fundraiser for a local Child Advocacy Center. We put 1 cup of bath salts per bag so they can sell them really cheap for the kids.

Hi. I am doing some scrapbooking pages for my mom, crossstitching my neices first initial on small frilly pillows(I hope to get it done). And DD18 and I are taking clear icing bags(no hole in end) filling with hot chocolate mix,minny marshmallows and crushed candycanes. We some them done in different stores, selling for around $6.00. WOW.
Oh can you buy the minny marshmallows (like in the hot chocolates) anywhere? Our grocerie stores only carry the large and small sizes.

Hi. Oh can you buy the minny marshmallows (like in the hot chocolates) anywhere? Our grocerie stores only carry the large and small sizes.

for a second i thought you said you were looking for Minnie marshmallows :lmao: I guess my mind is on the mouse! ;)

I make jewelry, but that can get just as expensive as store bought if you're not careful...

Anyhow...I get my beads off eBay and this place artbeads.com:thumbsup2

Oh can you buy the minny marshmallows (like in the hot chocolates) anywhere? Our grocerie stores only carry the large and small sizes.

I have seen those at the bulk food store we have (someone also told me that they found them at an Amish Bulk Food store also). They also have those marshmallow shapes that are in the Lucky Charms cereal. If you have one of those, go check it out. I buy my brown rice there because it is very cheap.

There are some wonderful ideas here! So far I'm just doing Santa ornaments for my mom - they were purchased at clearance after christmas 2 years ago. They are a Mary Englebright (sp?) kit and very cute. I'm going to be lucky if I can get those done, but am inspired by some of the other ideas here. :thumbsup2

I'm making pottery Devil Jar canisters for candy to give to the neighbors and also Devil Jar electric lamps.

DevilJarLamp1.jpg

DevilJarsDE1.jpg

DevilJarC2Lamp.jpg

DevilJarB2.jpg

KelliJar2.jpg

hello
yes I stitch Christmas cards for friends and family. I like doing this every Christmas as it is very personal and everyone loves getting a handmade Christmas present from me :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter