What is a GAC?

izzybjenn

Earning My Ears
I was reading a horrible thread on the Disneyland board about the disabled and wheelchair bound having it easier than those standing in line. It sickened me and was going to respond but have bit my lip and shall remain silent.

Anyway, I have said before my daughter users a wheelchair when her seizures are bad (also is biologically 10 but developmental 4-5 years old) Considering, excitement & tiredness trigger her seizures we are prepared for her to be in her chair when we are at Disney.

The posts on the Disneyland board keep making reference to a GAC? What is that? Nobody, has mentioned it to us. Disney know that we have requested a wheelchair room and asked that furniture be removed so we can operate a hoist to lift her (she is extremely tall and looks 14-15 years old, and we can't lift her no more) but they haven't mentioned a GAC.

Can anyone help me? Was going to post this on that Thread but can't stomach even looking at it anymore. Trust me, what my baby goes through is doesn't even compare to standing in a line for 30 minutes with sore feet!

I've been reading up on it myself. Seems it's something you have to request at Guest Services when you get to the park and isn't something that's advertised or well-publicized (aside from that article about the NY socialites using disabled "tour guides" to help cut the lines). I don't think that the hotel has anything to do with it...

GAC = Guest Assistance Card.

A Guest Assistance Card can be obtained from Guest Relations. It is provided by Disney for guests in need of assistance due to a wide variety of disabilities. The card will let cast members know that you may need special assistance while in queue or boarding rides.

I understand that whilst Disney does have policies in place, it would seem that the implementation of the policy depends on the CM and that it is inconsistent in it's distribution. It's the inconsistency and abuse of the card to get special line privileges that most people complain about.

If you need a card, head to Town Hall when you get there. Disney will make a determination on your need and provide you with a card as appropriate. Afterall, it's between you and Disney; not what other people might or might not say on an open forum.

Have a great trip with your family and I hope it works out for your DD.

I was reading a horrible thread on the Disneyland board about the disabled and wheelchair bound having it easier than those standing in line. It sickened me and was going to respond but have bit my lip and shall remain silent.

Anyway, I have said before my daughter users a wheelchair when her seizures are bad (also is biologically 10 but developmental 4-5 years old) Considering, excitement & tiredness trigger her seizures we are prepared for her to be in her chair when we are at Disney.

The posts on the Disneyland board keep making reference to a GAC? What is that? Nobody, has mentioned it to us. Disney know that we have requested a wheelchair room and asked that furniture be removed so we can operate a hoist to lift her (she is extremely tall and looks 14-15 years old, and we can't lift her no more) but they haven't mentioned a GAC.

Can anyone help me? Was going to post this on that Thread but can't stomach even looking at it anymore. Trust me, what my baby goes through is doesn't even compare to standing in a line for 30 minutes with sore feet!

Yep, there are some topics that bring out the crazy in people and GAC is one of them :( For some reason a lot of people don't seem to think that people are disabled enough if they can't see an actual disability - it's awful and hurtful.

It sounds like your family would really benefit from the GAC, so I'd head to City Hall on your first day and talk to Guest Services.

Try and ignore the haters and judgers out there and have a wonderful trip. :)

If your DD is in a chair you might not need the GAC as they will send you through the wheelchair entrance anyway. The GAC is more beneficial for people with 'invisible' disabilities as it means they don't need to explain their situation at each attraction, using a chair it's obvious how they can accommodate you. If there is something else about her seizures that need to be taken into consideration e.g. Can't be in the full hot sun for extended periods, I'd go to get the GAC so cast members know to accommodate that need.

DD was in a chair for most of our last trip. No GAC was needed for the wheelchair. We also found that the US is a million times enter and more accommodating for disabilities than Australia.

I'll write more about how it was when I get home and not on my iPad. DD was 9 on our last trip.

You won't need a GAC for your daughter if she's in a wheelchair. The GAC is for those who have a hidden disability of some description. You will be able to use all of the wheelchair entrances for her and your group.

They are incredibly tolerant and understanding and really well set up for disabilities in the US. It is a very disability friendly place and they really have a lot more set up across the board (not just at Disney) to help those with all disabilities.

There are different access points for those in a wheelchair on rides at DL and WDW. Some of them are through the exit, you will see the little blue wheelchair sign, so you would enter through there. Some use the fastpass lane. Some rides have a different loading area depending on your needs, so that those in wheelchairs can more easily get on and off the ride. I think you will find it reasonably refreshing to travel there with your DD with their accessibility and tolerance. And don't worry about those on the other board. It's really quite sad and unnecessary I think the way they go on sometimes.

Thank you to everyone who has answered and replied to my question. I feel a lot better now. I was really upset when I read the other thread.
Your caring and supportive words made me feel so much better.

I don't think we will need as yes in her wheeelchair it kinda does stick out what her issue is. However, its good to have the info in case we do need.

Does anyone know if you need medical verification? Her pead is seeing us the day before we travel to do all travel documentation, medications, and to certify her fit to fly (airline requirment) she may as well do this as well if needed. Although, I do have a companion card (issued here though) that certifies myself as Em's carer? Probably means nothing in the States.

Thank you all once again. xxxxx

Thank you to everyone who has answered and replied to my question. I feel a lot better now. I was really upset when I read the other thread.

I don't think we will need as yes in her wheeelchair it kinda does stick out what her issue is. However, its good to have the info in case we do need.

Does anyone know if you need medical verification? Her pead is seeing us the day before we travel to do all travel documentation, medications, and to certify her fit to fly (airline requirment) she may as well do this as well if needed. Although, I do have a companion card (issued here though) that certifies myself as Em's carer? Probably means nothing in the States.

Due to privacy laws/rules (not sure which) the cast members aren't allowed to read anything from a medical professional, so no not needed. This is where some of the people you mentioned earlier get their knickers in a knot, they think everyone is out to abuse the system since no 'proof' is required. :confused:

No they don't need any verification at all for a GAC or a Wheelchair.

If you end up not having the chair at any stage, then just go to Guest Services at any park and explain what her needs are. The GAC is needs based not condition based, so you just explain what she has trouble with. Like some people can't walk up stairs, some can't be in the sun, some have sensory issues.

You will find all of the staff to be friendly and kind and understanding. Even getting on and off buses, you will be taken care of and supported.

DD was in a wheelchair a lot on the last trip - we hired one before we left and it was waiting for us. The hired ones from offsite had a pocket in the back.

It was good just to know it was available and when she was able to walk, did so and it gave it somewhere to put everything!

Because DD had some mobility, though no stairs, when we made bookings we let them know that she couldn't do stairs, and that she could transfer from a wheelchair.

When the buses came, if we had DD out of the chair we lifted her up, or if she was in the chair they would tell her to stay there and would come and strap her into a lift and up. It was never a problem or issue.

I'm expecting that DD will be strong enough for this next trip without a chair for the most part, and because she is now doing well if we need one I'll hire at the parks.

Definitely don't need the GAC. The wheelchair makes it exactly the same.

Depending on the park you're heading to most of the lines you'll share the same entry, sometimes right up to boarding. The CM at the gate will let you know.

Oh Honey, I'm sorry that those people upset you. We know you'd give anything and everything to have you daughter be able to stand in line. I don't think they're talking about people who really need the cards though. Just people like the teenagers I heard went up and claimed to have twisted an ankle so the whole group of 6 of them got to bypass a lot of the lines. Also a lot of people with anxiety problems get the cards so they don't have to wait in line. I don't have anxiety issues so I do find it a bit hard to empathize but I try my best.

I do love how disney accommodates people with disabilities. How they have special carriages that fit wheel chairs, and even screens for the hearing impaired. I love it.

What sort of rides does your dd like? Will she go on roller coasters and things like RSR? Is there a way to find out which rides will accommodate wheelchairs. I've never looked into it. I wonder if Peter pan has a wheelchair carriage.

As a dad with a 15yo with a reasonably severe intellectual disability we have found one of the few places in the world we feel comfortable and like a 'real' family , thanks to the GAC.

My suggestion would be , from what you have written, is to ask for a GAC and explain what happens if your daughter has to wait , crowds, noise etc. the gac's are split as a mobility issue ( meaning you can take a different way but wait for a very long time) or a 'quicker way' where mobilty isnt the issue but other 'invisible issues are' . On the big rides its usually via the fast pass entrance.

We have always been greeted with respect from CMs and other patrons ( super tolerant) and despite sometimes a quicker way for us to ride ( you will have a pass for a party up to 6) we still endure a temper tantrum, scream and jumping up and down . As we have learned to live with our DS disability it's water off a ducks back to us and most people 'get it'. He also still has to wait his turn (as we try to do always) as it make take a few loads prior to boarding anyhow.

Don't ever think you shouldn't ask as its something that's written about a lot in other sites and there is no better feeling as a parent seeing your kids happy . Even the ones that take up a lot of time and cant tell you ( like our guy) It's a very expensive way to keep our DS happy though!!!

I am shocked to read the BS on the main boards about the idiots who abuse the system ( we have met a few in line over the last 4 trips when you hear them say..tomorrow you can sit in the wheelchair and I will push you) Disney wouldn't do it if they didn't want it to be a magical time for all abilities of people.

We choose never to go back to the qld parks as they haven't got a clue nor after suggesting to their CEO's do they even care. All the more reason we save out money and go to DL Or WDW each year now.

Hope this helps.

if we dont know it here on anzacs, then it aint been invented yet!

yep ..them over there is among the dark side......

here to help:thumbsup2

As AustralianKaren says, sometimes on the main boards you'll read some dark and disturbing stuff. You have to take it with a pinch of salt, and if you feel yourself getting worked up over it, just leave, it's not worth it. There are some very opinionated people over there who are willing to offend lots of people just to get their point across. There are also nice people over there and useful threads, you've just got to sift through to get to them.

I think we're a pretty decent bunch here on the ANZAC boards, so feel free to ask whatever questions you need here :goodvibes There are heaps of very experienced and knowledgable (not to mention friendly) Disney travellers right here.

Now back to your question :) I would get a GAC to explain some of the other issues your daughter faces (apart from the mobility). The CMs will be able to help you with all aspects of her disability to make things as easy for her as possible. Don't take any notice of negativity from the DISers. There are people who take advantage of the system, and it is difficult to tell those people from the ones with 'invisible' disabilities like autism etc, which does cause some confusion. Unfortunately some of it is just plain sour grapes.

I'm sure your family will have a wonderful and magical Disney experience pixiedust:

DS has Severs (sp?) disease and sometimes he finds walking really painful when it flares up. He's very athletically active but when it hits he's in a heap. I have kept the possibility of asking for a GAC in mind if he needs one but I also know that if I was to suggest a wheelchair for him he would be mortified as he doesn't want people to think of him differently. I will play it by ear with him depending on how he is going on each day.

To echo what everyone else says, ignore any looks and comments. If you need information the 'dark side' can be helpful -provided you don't ask or comment. I stick to a few threads over there and that's about it now. I'm happy here :)

I hope you all have a wonderful, magical trip :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter