What is Disney "magic"?

Tammy296

DIS Veteran
Ok I had to think about this a little bit... :confused3 I don't want to sound real stupid here but what exactly is Disney "magic"

How do people feel it? Where does it come from? Just what is it? I've been to Disney just one time and when I was there I didn't see any "magic". Only :headache: and I'm planning for our second trip and all I see is :sick: I need help on this "magic" deal - what exactly is it? Any story will do - I just need to hear someone's story.

-T

you have to take time to experience the "magic" - if you are so overplanned and over scheduled you will miss it...

magic for us has been watching our daughters have a special connection with a character - chatting with a CM and finding out we have something in common - sharing glow bracelets with some other kids while waiting for Spectromagic - going on a hidden Mickey hunt - having some time to walk hand in hand with our family down Main Street and enjoying each other...

If you didn't feel any magic, and your whole trip was aggrivating, then why are you planning another one?

Obviously, there was something there that made you want to try again ... or to go back. THAT is "magic." It's whatever it is inside of you that makes you want to return.

For some people it's as simple as seeing their child laugh at a character or smile a mile wide while watching fireworks. For others, it's the feeling they get when they walk up Main Street or stand in the middle of Animal Kingdom. For some, it's a specific moment -- the moment they got engaged at the Castle or their child said his first words to Mickey Mouse or their grandmother clapped and sang along with the Dapper Dans after a year of virtually no communication. For some, it's just a feeling from their childhood when they see Disney again.

But no one can create magic for you except for you. And I really can't believe that there was not a single happy moment in your previous trip. There was no moment where you were enjoying just being with your family, watching a parade or seeing fireworks. That there was no even second of fun and silliness on a ride or at a meal. If that's true, then you do seriously need to find another vacation destination, because maybe Disney just isn't your cup of tea.

:earsboy:

My fiance proposed to me on the riverboat in MK. Now that is all the magic I needed this trip however my girls were so excited they told everyone that would stand still and listen. We had lunch at Pinocchio's and they told the cashier. Well she was just gushing and congratulating us. Then while we were eating lunch the manager came out and congratulated us and gave us two Tinkerbell Pins. That was so magical to me. We were stopped by CMs all day asking about our Tinkerbell pins. It was such a magical day. I was on :cloud9: after the proposal and the CMs help make the day more special.

But no one can create magic for you except for you. And I really can't believe that there was not a single happy moment in your previous trip. There was no moment where you were enjoying just being with your family, watching a parade or seeing fireworks. That there was no even second of fun and silliness on a ride or at a meal. If that's true, then you do seriously need to find another vacation destination, because maybe Disney just isn't your cup of tea

Well said!:thumbsup2

Ok I had to think about this a little bit... :confused3 I don't want to sound real stupid here but what exactly is Disney "magic"

How do people feel it? Where does it come from? Just what is it? I've been to Disney just one time and when I was there I didn't see any "magic". Only :headache: and I'm planning for our second trip and all I see is :sick: I need help on this "magic" deal - what exactly is it? Any story will do - I just need to hear someone's story.

-T

I would think this is different for everyone.....for me it is just this feeling of seeing things as if I were a child again. Where else could a 35 (boy, that was hard to type! I just turned 35, it takes a little getting used to!)year old person be able to hug an oversized mouse and no one bats an eyelash? Its just an overwhelming feeling of joy and love for me. I feel at peace when I am at Disney....nothing bothers me when I am there and there certainly are no worries! Just relax and enjoy ....let the "magic" happen! It's the unexpected things that Disney does that helps create that magic....maybe you just haven't experienced any of the "little things" that Disney does.

Where does it come from?

The magic for me comes only from the Heart!! My heart literally bursts when I'm there and even though we are surrounded by people it's just me and my family having a blast! I Love it soo much my DH thinks I'm having an affair with Mickey..:thumbsup2

For me the "magic" happens alot even during period leading up to the vacation. The "magic" is the excitement in my children's faces every time they hear the Disney theme music on TV -- it is the enjoyment my 6 year old has ever evening when he can cross over another day on our "Countdown to Disney" vacation calendar -- it is listening to them tell all of their friends and even strangers in the grocery store that they are going to Disney.

To me the magic is the anticipation, the planning, and the excitement that we all experience.

Ok my computer did something weird and double posted.

I did want to add anyway that the magic was also in the simple things as well. Watching Wishes with my kids, see my children interact with characters and having a good time. They did not complain once and my kids are complainers! Just make sure you take the time to notice the small things and precious moments.

It's funny, I used to talk to my mother about the "magic" feeling every trip we made to disney. It happened the minute I walked thru the tunnels and saw main street. She would smile and move on in the conversation. I begged her every year to join us so she could share those same memories...

Last may we finally got her and her husband to join us. Each night when the lights at magic kingdom would go low and Tink would fly over the Kingdom she would cry. Just because it somehow made her happy.

Just being there to feel the "magic", that special feeling, like everything in the world is OK. I am always surprised when others don't feel that way too. But then again I hate going on vacation to the Beach, so I guess each of us has our "Magical" place. I'm just happy mine is at Disney...:tinker:

The magic to me, is walking into Magic Kingdom and having to hold back the tears even before I see the Castle! It's an overwhelming feeling of happiness!:love: It's joy and fond memories around every corner. It's knowing that one man's dream built it, and realising that anything is possible:flower3:

The magic is a feeling like when you fall in love.

Magic for me has been: Walking down main street with my husband.
Hearing my daughter say "I see Mickey".
Spur of the moment breakfast at Chef Mickey. (not easy to do anymore)
Holding someones child for them on the bus.
Having someone hold my child on the monorail.
Chatting with a CM in Disneyland hearing her DL stories me sharing my WDW stories.
Having Buzz break down at a great location making me score higher than my teenage son.

Relax and the magic will come.

I'm sorry you didn't feel any magic. I can't tell you where to look for it. It just has to happen and you have to embrace it. When we were there in '98 the magic was there everywhere b/c it was our first trip. Seeing the castle get bigger & bigger. Seeing the tree of life. My dad taking his fork & knife and pounding it on the table being goofy and me catching a picture of it.

In '01 it wasn't as "magical" to be honest. We stayed offsite so I think that was part of the problem and my grandma (who came in '98) had died a year previous so it was sad that she wasn't there. Our dinner at 50s PTC was a lot of fun though. Walking down Main Street was still just as magical as it was in '98 too.

This time, it's my kids first trip and so I get to see it all again, as if it's MY first time again. I can NOT wait!!!

You know what I found "magical" on my first trip in 2007? And I'm the OP and someone asked me why I am returning...

Every single time I pin traded with a CM they had a "story" to tell. I :love: meeting the CM's and talking with them. To me that was the best part of my first trip in 2007. It wasn't necessarily the pin trading but the meeting of people. :cloud9:

I am going back for my children and many will probably roll their eyes but we have a new member in our family this year. :hug: She is celebrating her first birthday "at the world". She was conceived on our last trip. To me, that makes our trip special.

Yes we had problems in 2007 but those are problems many here might not understand. Only if you walked in my shoes as a deaf individual would you begin to understand where I come from.

-T

My first sense of the magic was on my first trip. I had never been but my bf (now dh) had been a handful of times with his family. He was great - he just took things easy (he's not a planner) and let our day unfold. And at some point I had this wonderful sparkly moment when I realized - it's a PARTY! A party just for ME! And all these wonderful people there to celebrate with ME! And ALL THOSE PEOPLE (the CMs) are working so hard to make this the most amazing perfect day of my LIFE!

Granted, I don't get that feeling every day I'm there, nor do I carry that glow with me 24/7 while I'm there, but the memory comes back occasionally - that touch of something special that makes me feel like I'm about to burst with happiness!

I hope the magic finds you on your next trip!
-Kristin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter