• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is easier to use, TT or Motor Coach?

house_of_princesses

<font color=FF66FF>Has a multitude of DIS friends
Just a question. (I'm nervous about hauling the TT down in November. Or any time for that matter.)

Which do you think I would have an easier time with? A 33' TT pulled by my Ford Excursion with diesel engine or a motorcoach outfitted to sleep 5? Don't know what it would cost to outfit a motorcoach to sleep 5, but if it would be easier/safer, I would sure start researching the idea.

Any ideas?

As always, thank you.

Hello House of Princesses,
I am campingcorgi's sister, minniebago. I've been lurking here lo these many months, but your recent postings have touched my heart and made me want to post a reply. My deepest sympathies to you and your daughters for your loss. You sound very strong, and I'm sure you will be fine in the long run. I am the owner and driver of a 31' Class C (you may know it as a mini motorhome) Winnebago Minnie. Before buying the Minnie, my husband drove a 26' TT to FW one trip, and some of us followed in a car. After watching that trailer sway, I know I wouldn't want to drive it myself, and I am a very independent and confident person. Later that year we got the Minnie. I was white-knuckled the first time I drove it, but after a few miles, I became so comfortable with it that it feels like driving a large van or SUV, although it still feels a little strange to look in the rearview mirror & see a bedroom coming with you. We have made 9 trips to FW & a couple to other places in the nearly 4 years we have owned the Minnie, and I have put almost all of the miles on it. The family loves traveling in it. If you are seriously considering a motorhome, may I make a few suggestions: you may want to rent one to be sure you like the camping experience with just the 5 of you; if you decide to purchase, check out joining rv.org to see what is a good MH (we knew nothing & were just lucky to get one of the few with a 100 rating for handling control); and seriously consider a C rather than an A (they are inherently much safer because of the extra front end and the cab-over bed is great for children). Feel free to post or pm if you have any further questions. God bless you.

I think renting a motor home before purchasing one is some excellent advice. Whatever you prefer depends on you. I like the trailer, and with sway control on my hitch I don't have any problems even with the largest of trucks passing me. I also like the idea that I can unhitch when I get to the campground and have the use of my truck while I am there. That obviously is the major advantage to towing rather than a motor home, but with the transportation system at FW, you should easily be able to get around without a vehicle. Best of luck no matter what you decide!

The real campingcorgi here, not my ugly step--oops, sorry, different story!;) --not minniebago my sister (got her registered under her own name now!) and I just wanted to add that you may want to think about all the 'co-pilot' things you have done in the past that you would have to be doing alone. I know that I help check for safe lane changes, read the map and watch the exits, get snacks and drinks for the driver, tend to the kids in the back, etc. You'll need to do whatever you can do to take some of the pressure off yourself--and if you are nervous about driving the TT you will want to get more at ease or change the plan. Check out the rental rv sites--you may be pleasantly surprised at what you find. I really think your kids would be happy to be riding along in a motorhome and it will make all stops much safer for a woman alone--no strange restrooms to visit, just use the one in the motorhome on the trip!!

You'll make this trip work, and it'll be great. Just be flexible and you'll be fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter