What is going on?

I stayed away because of masks.
Many people avoided travel to many places because of masks.
We cancelled / postponed trips to both Disney and Belize due to masks.

People didn’t stay away because of masks.
We did the same. We know many others who have done the same and only started traveling this year. There are also people who did the opposite I suppose. We know those people as well. I am sure that was a give and take.

Last edited:
I truly think Walt Disney World really is desperate for more visitors because ever since and even before the pandemic even started they were starting to show signs of going downhill because there are less commercials advertising

Now THAT'S funny!!

Disney is hurting because they have cut back on many of their offerings and because they are engaging themselves in agendas they should leave to the individual. People are speaking with their dollars and attendance. People who love what they are doing are going and spending their money. People who resent what they are doing are vacationing elsewhere. It is really no different than people getting mad at let's say Costco and they get a membership at Sam's Club instead.

What shows are missing from MK? You have the castle show, you have the 3 oclock parade and you have character meet and greets back in effect. I keep seeing this being said over and over but what is missing today? Restaurants might be closed still maybe?
Well I wasn't speaking of just MK. I was in M k last June, back then there were plenty of rides not running at capacity or not running. Just a few weeks ago at Epcot, there were constant ride closures. Not to open the debate, but in all my trips precovid, there weren't many if any ride closures unless it was weather related. This leads to a more crowded feel it things aren't running as they used to.

What shows are missing from MK? You have the castle show, you have the 3 oclock parade and you have character meet and greets back in effect. I keep seeing this being said over and over but what is missing today? Restaurants might be closed still maybe?
Enchanted Tales with Belle show is still gone. Also, a ton of meet n greets are not available yet. They aren't running rides at full capacity either.

It’s not exclusive to theme parks. I do maintenance management for Topgolf and my maintenance team used to be 14 associates. I have the budget for 8 now. To say it’s an active choice Disney is making is incorrect in my opinion.

Who set your budget?

We bailed on our WDW 50th and went to Hawaii in October 2021
We own a TS in Hawaii-and due to that and we get owners discount for sister resorts on other islands (we own on Oahu) lodging for 2 weeks in Hawaii in a 1 bedroom condo is less than the equivalent of a few days at Disney (even renting points-and our "buy in" for the TS was zero$along with MF <$700/yr-unlike the thousands for DVC).
I love Disney as much as anyone but pandemic REALLY pushed us to explore the actual world-not just Disney version.

And our other TS now trades into DVC-AKL, OKW and SSR are the usual suspects that pop up. Surprising to me was the weeks available for SSR this september-weeks available for F&W!
This is not specific to Disney, have you seen the prices of the Universal hotels there double what I paid last year.
Yes because all you disgruntled Disney fans are now "discovering" Universal!!:rotfl2:
I think Disney has gotten the reputation as being a bad place to work
Well they still have the indentured servants er I mean College Program kids!!

They probably were Disney CMs at one time.
Or worked at both. Or maybe, just maybe they haven't also worked at Disney and Universal management actually treat them like human beings who truly enjoy improving guest experience even if it's not the once perfect DISNEY:P

Cruise last month-fraction of what a typical Disney trip would cost. My 12 day HHN trip this fall is a fraction (teeny fraction) of what a comparable disney trip would cost. Was thinking about going for MNSSHP one day but haven't worked up any enthusiasm for it so I just don't know.

Or worked at both. Or maybe, just maybe they haven't also worked at Disney and Universal management actually treat them like human beings who truly enjoy improving guest experience even if it's not the once perfect DISNEY:P

Yep, that's my point. A lot work at both over the years, and it's the "people" (workers) that make the experience better.

You can treat folks better, and bring out even better from them. You can treat folks worse, and they will still excel, others will drop off caring as much.

But I still think the original long time Disney CM's were the best, and basically always will be. Many of those are at Universal now. Many left the business to do other things, sadly for us.

As I travel a lot for business I have been able to do some compares, just got back from NYC yesterday, the Hotel (large iconic Brand) had housekeeping by request only (you had to call each day), no room service still since beginning of pandemic, gift shop closed, restaurant in lobby only open on weekends etc.. My experiences elsewhere over the last 6 months have been hit or miss depending on location - regardless of Hotel brand.

I am not going to solve all of Disney's problems or even worry about them to be honest. Since I don't have real data, spend everyday in the parks, or lunch with the C-Suite to even make educated guesses - I can only go with my last experience in January - which was pretty much what I remembered from past years: It was busy, and I couldn't just walk on every ride that I wanted to whenever / however many times as I wanted :) The food in general seems to have gotten better though ... but thats pretty subjective.

What I did notice was how poorly the general population treated the parks, other guests, and CMs. Never noticed this in past visits as much as I did on my last visit. I don't think I ever saw CMs crying as much as I did this last trip. Maybe, Chapek should be blamed for that as well - don't know. I get that Disney as a vacation is an investment (when hasn't it been to be honest), but not getting this recent trend at all. Whatever Disney's issues are with labor shortages or not, I would be hard-pressed at entry-level pay to work in an environment that has to deal with the general public these days. Don't know.

What I did notice was how poorly the general population treated the parks, other guests, and CMs. Never noticed this in past visits as much as I did on my last visit. I don't think I ever saw CMs crying as much as I did this last trip. Maybe, Chapek should be blamed for that as well - don't know. I get that Disney as a vacation is an investment (when hasn't it been to be honest), but not getting this recent trend at all. Whatever Disney's issues are with labor shortages or not, I would be hard-pressed at entry-level pay to work in an environment that has to deal with the general public these days. Don't know.

This is what happens when prices get too high wirhout the associated increase in value. Expectations go up, combined with less service being delivered = irate guests.

Disney prices were out of touch with reality before the pandemic. Now they are literally just drowning the companies reputation.

Quick fix - cap attendance and reduce prices and Increase pay.

The CEO and board doesn't have the guts or common sense to do it but that's what it would take to right the ship. I think we are witnessing the imminent collapse of Disney.

This is what happens when prices get too high wirhout the associated increase in value. Expectations go up, combined with less service being delivered = irate guests.

Disney prices were out of touch with reality before the pandemic. Now they are literally just drowning the companies reputation.

Quick fix - cap attendance and reduce prices and Increase pay.

The CEO and board doesn't have the guts or common sense to do it but that's what it would take to right the ship. I think we are witnessing the imminent collapse of Disney
So Chapek (or Disney's Management) is the cause of and solution to all of the world's problems?

I think we are witnessing the imminent collapse of Disney.
Meanwhile I am happily planning my next trip to WDW for Feb....

All this sky is falling talk is really over the top. The mouse will be fine. Every time I go there are plenty of guests having a great time. I know I did.... Had a fabulous time this Jan 2022... had a fabulous time Jan 2021... pretty much have had a great time every time I have gone.

If you dont enjoy it, then dont go. Take a break. Go to Universal... Go to Sea World. I am excited to add a couple of days at Universal myself this upcoming trip. But this talk about how everyone is hating on WDW, there are still plenty of people who do enjoy it. I am very excited to go back to WDW and ride new attractions like Guardians and maybe just maybe Tron (fingers crossed).

Going in august. 7 nights in the Newport Suite at Beach Club. Myself, my daughter, and her friend are all extremely excited and we won’t be disappointed.

That is all.

So Chapek (or Disney's Management) is the cause of and solution to all of the world's problems?

When it comes to Walt Dsney World....yes... though I'd argue Iger was the start of all their problems in the parks and resorts....but Chapek still played a huge role then

When it comes to Walt Dsney World....yes... though I'd argue Iger was the start of all their problems in the parks and resorts....but Chapek still played a huge role then
It is an opinion board, but I have to admit, I am confused by the idea that either of these people are responsible for the bad behavior of some guests at the park. I understand people being unhappy with potential unmet expectations related to the cost/value proposition. But, enough to treat the CMs and the parks like garbage? Seems like a bit of a stretch.

I don't know about all these other problems you are talking about - so really don't have an opinion there.

Disney used to set a pretty good bar for customer service. Then, everyone else figured out the formula and found ways to do it even better. Meanwhile, Disney went into cost cutting mode and forgot about why people continued to pay. Now, they're rifting off the past while people still pay up and pack their parks. Their cost cutting will only matter if people stop paying. And historically, people have been good to pay up.

Blame the consumer for making the analytics say as much.

Honestly I think that Disney is probably a terrible place to work from top to bottom. Years ago my DH told me that when he was in B school (a top 5 program) the word was that WDW corp was a meat grinder and no one in their right mind would take a job there. I can't imagine it is better now. And this is not for your low level management positions - this was upper management folks. Can you imagine what low level/ mid level managers are treated like? Yuck. Of course this limits the quality of candidates that they hire which in the end affects the customer experience.

It is an opinion board, but I have to admit, I am confused by the idea that either of these people are responsible for the bad behavior of some guests at the park. I understand people being unhappy with potential unmet expectations related to the cost/value proposition. But, enough to treat the CMs and the parks like garbage? Seems like a bit of a stretch.

I don't know about all these other problems you are talking about - so really don't have an opinion there.

Have you been to the Waldorf when something goes wrong and it's not taken care of?

When you sell yourself as a premium product and fail to deliver people are more inclined to act out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter