What Is The Pace Of Adventures By Disney?

SanFranciscan

DIS Veteran
My husband is one of those blessed (because they are getting so heartbreakingly rare!!) individuals who has paid vacation time. He also has major wanderlust and spends a great deal of time planning more trips than he can ever actually take. He has been looking at advertisements for Adventures By Disney.

What is the pace of Adventures By Disney? I used to work in a retail store on the tour bus lines. We were really just a restroom break for the tour companies, much to my employer's resentment. However, customers did try to shop in the time alloted so they continued to act like they were going to wet themselves after they had already used the toilet. They would throw things on the counter and demand that we ring and package at inhuman speeds because the bus was about to leave. A few did get left behind by their "tour guides." I could not imagine why they would choose to spend their holidays like this. How could that be fun?

I am thinking that an organized tour might be a good idea if my husband or he and I are going somewhere far from home where we have never been before. There could be peace of mind in it for us if the tour isn't just an excuse to rush us from one souvenir shopping area to another.

What is the pace of Adventures By Disney? I understand why people want their money's worth of sightseeing. I don't fault anyone for that. However, I do not think that travel should just be a checklist of "must-sees" either When did tourism become a race?

You might feel more comfortable answering this question in a private message, which is fine. I would appreaciate an honest anwer any way that I can get it. Did you feel that you were on vacation or on an exhausting sprint that you must recover from when you got home?

We like the pace--we have two adults, a teen and a preteen, so a tough group to please! But the guides (two per trip) make all the difference--and they do a great job mixing up the travel time, the down time and the touring time (with a break for the parents with a kid night, and generally on the trip the kids all hang out together and have a great time). For example, our first trip was to Italy (Rome, Tuscany, Venice) with ABD, and we hit all of the main sites, and a lot of side lights we probably would not have done on own own--and the days in Tuscany were very nicely paced and relaxing. The hotels are first rate and almost always with pools. When I first read about the activities for the Italy trip (pasta making, for example) I thought well, that's really for the kids. But I did it and had a blast! As you may read in this DISboard, the trips are not cheap and there have been changes (a couple of trips were eliminated, no early booking discount) due to the economy--but still, we think it is a good value for all that you get. Disney is the best at storytelling, and these trips are definately themed, and fun. They do not do the "stop here and buy" restroom breaks, and for most of the trips (overseas and US) there are two or three nights at each stop so you really get a feel for the place. Happy to answer any questions!

I think it may help for you to understand that Adventures by Disney is *not* a "bus tour". They use a motorcoach as transport from one major place to another, but once you land in a place, there's hiking, and walking, museums and cultural experiences, and, as WeLoveABD says, multiple days in one locale. There's a lot of time spent at each location, along with ample time to shop or do other such things "on your own". I never felt rushed, even at the spots that we were told from the get-go really *WERE* just a bathroom stop, since we had a 3 hour drive. I would never take a "If it's Tuesday it must be Rome" kind of bus tour. That's not what ABD is about.

If you want to learn a bit about the pace & what they encompass, check out my Trip Reports (links in my signature). I give very detailed, day-to-day descriptions of the trips. And if you look at the Sticky at the top of this forum, you'll find other ABD Trip Reports that may help.

Sayhello

SayHello makes a great point! It's not a motor coach tour! Check out all the trip reports. They provide really great insight from all different perspectives!

As for the pace. My husband and I are in our 30's and loved the pace! We also did an adults only! Very Active! However I noticed our guides were really tuned into the group and if the pace for the day was going to be a little "much" for some of the adults they provided some alternatives.

An example was on the day of white water rafting we had a lady on our trip who opted out. So the bus driver took her to all the passing points where we were going to be and she got some great pics and waved to us! Her sweet husband was in our raft and they were cute waving back and forth.

I am trying to decided tonight if we can squeeze another ABD in 2010 in before we sail Alaska on the Wonder in May 2011! We loved our ABD trip!

I have only taken on ABD (Ireland)
I don't think we were ever anywhere for less than an hour.

I never felt rushed. Occasionally there was some place where I wanted more or less time -but I think that would happen with any group tour.

Also -I don't think we ever stopped somewhere that was just for "shopping and restroom" there was always either a meal or something to see.

I don't have any experience with the ABD trips...YET. The main reason why we chose ABD is because of the activities on the trip and those magical touches that everyone talks about. The one thing I didn't want on the tour of Italy was a "bus" tour. You know, as you drive by the Colisseum, the guide says, "OK on your left you will see the Colisseum". We'll slow down the bus so that you can take pictures. From what I've read, that isn't going to happen on this trip with ABD. I don't think Disney would ever put out a product like that. I also think that the name says it all...Adventures by Disney. It's not a tour, it's not a vacation, it's an adventure...OK maybe it is a vacation too :confused3. I'm sure some trips more are more of an adventure than others and some stops more so than others, but I am confident that I will not be disappointed by sitting on a bus and sightseeing.

I've been on two ABD trips and I've never felt rushed. They do have a schedule and the guides stick to it, but we've always had time to enjoy the sites. The only time I've ever noticed the guides mentioning anything about the schedule it was just to ask everybody to be on time for the bus when we were departing from some locations. And I've always found our fellow travelers to be very considerate and punctual.

And sometimes you have to expect the unexpected! We did the China tour pre-Olympics, and during the trip I mentioned to Daisy and Dusty (our great guides) that we didn't think we'd make it out to the Olympic sites on our own time...others mentioned a desire to see the village and bubble building etc. Well--the "wall" day was just great and we were returning and suddenly the bus stopped and low and behold they found a spot to park on the busy (and still under construction) roads near the Olympics buildings and we all got out to gawk and take photos and what not. It was one of those moments I'll treasure and appreciate.

And sometimes you have to expect the unexpected! We did the China tour pre-Olympics, and during the trip I mentioned to Daisy and Dusty (our great guides) that we didn't think we'd make it out to the Olympic sites on our own time...others mentioned a desire to see the village and bubble building etc. Well--the "wall" day was just great and we were returning and suddenly the bus stopped and low and behold they found a spot to park on the busy (and still under construction) roads near the Olympics buildings and we all got out to gawk and take photos and what not. It was one of those moments I'll treasure and appreciate.

That's really cool WeLoveABD. I am starting to understand more and more what the Disney "magical touches" are.

I've been on two ABD trips and I've never felt rushed. They do have a schedule and the guides stick to it, but we've always had time to enjoy the sites. The only time I've ever noticed the guides mentioning anything about the schedule it was just to ask everybody to be on time for the bus when we were departing from some locations. And I've always found our fellow travelers to be very considerate and punctual.

You know Bobo -I just Knew we would have someone that was perpetually late.
Where we were all on the bus and there would be a no-show and everyone getting impatient etc...
Never happened. We might have occasionally had to wait a minute or so on someone -but no one was ever truly late -and no repeat offenders.
I felt we were really lucky:)

You know Bobo -I just Knew we would have someone that was perpetually late.
Where we were all on the bus and there would be a no-show and everyone getting impatient etc...
Never happened. We might have occasionally had to wait a minute or so on someone -but no one was ever truly late -and no repeat offenders.
I felt we were really lucky:)

I expected the same. With that many people it's bound to happen. I hope we always have such thoughtful fellow adventurers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter