What is the reduced capacity?

CBug70

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the boards and tried to search the internet and the board for my answer before posting my question here. I'm wondering what the reduced capacity is for Universal Studios and Island of Adventure. Is it 50% of total? 25% of total? Just trying to gauge what the crowds could be like. I understand that the parks will most likely "reach capacity" when I'll be there the last week in March, but I can't seem to figure out what that capacity is. I'll be staying at Cabana Bay and purchased the Universal Express Unlimited for one of the days we'll be at the parks, so hopefully we'll be able to ride everything that one day, and then on the second day, we'll just hope for the best. We'll be there on Tuesday and Wednesday at the end of the month (3/30 and 3/31). Thank you for any info or tips/tricks.

it has not been publicly stated what the capacity is. It is likely 35 - 40 %, but YMMV. Crowds are not nearly as high on weekdays, though next week is the first big Spring Break week, with central Florida counties on break + many other around the country. If you are staying at Cabana, you will have early access, and a guaranteed entry line even if they reach capacity. EP will get you line access to every ride but Hagrid's and the waits will be short (some may be up to 20 minutes). Use early access to get on the most popular rides and use the EP to your max on that day. Have fun!

I will say that no matter what you should always get to the park when it first opens now that it's limited capacity. Simply due to the fact that whether it gets to capacity, or not, that if you want no, or little wait times and like light crowds you want to experience the parks first thing. Even on days which it's not that busy, after a few hours the wait times start to pile up since they can only have so many people on the ride at one time. Especially since there no single rider lines, which I know you didn't ask about, but since they like to separate parties, those people end up having their own rows, or even their own ride vehicles (ex. The Simpsons). Which I know since I am a single rider myself. I typically do not experience the later afternoon, so unsure if it slows down a little bit before the park closes, but if you don't wanna be waiting for rides the entire time try to get there as soon as possible to get as much done as possible, especially since it's limited hours as well. However, when you go it's going to be open til 10pm. So I would think late at night should definitely be less crowded. So, I would say arrive early, take a break mid-day, and come back in the midafternoon / evening.

Thank you so much, Mr. Drauer and Disxuni!!! We will definitely be taking advantage of the hotel's early entry and we plan to get there about an hour prior to that time so we can be first in line. When we were there 6 years ago, my daughter got to "open" Island of Adventure and received a special pin and photo. Not sure if they do that "ceremony" any longer, but it was really fun.

Thank you so much, Mr. Drauer and Disxuni!!! We will definitely be taking advantage of the hotel's early entry and we plan to get there about an hour prior to that time so we can be first in line. When we were there 6 years ago, my daughter got to "open" Island of Adventure and received a special pin and photo. Not sure if they do that "ceremony" any longer, but it was really fun.

Wow, that is amazing! I'm going to be honest, while I've been there a few times since covid since I'm relatively local, I do not know if they still do that. If they do, it's hard to tell as the lines can back up quite a bit with people waiting for the park to officially open since everyone has to social distance. While I think it's more people than it used to be waiting for the gates to open, it definitely looks worse than it is. It goes by fast. That being said, if you wanna try to be in the front of the line as much as possible (I'm assuming that might be how people become the person to "open" IoA) you'll have to arrive early even for early entry.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the boards and tried to search the internet and the board for my answer before posting my question here. I'm wondering what the reduced capacity is for Universal Studios and Island of Adventure. Is it 50% of total? 25% of total? Just trying to gauge what the crowds could be like. I understand that the parks will most likely "reach capacity" when I'll be there the last week in March, but I can't seem to figure out what that capacity is. I'll be staying at Cabana Bay and purchased the Universal Express Unlimited for one of the days we'll be at the parks, so hopefully we'll be able to ride everything that one day, and then on the second day, we'll just hope for the best. We'll be there on Tuesday and Wednesday at the end of the month (3/30 and 3/31). Thank you for any info or tips/tricks.

To give an idea of crowds, we were there this past week mon-fri. We did early entry most mornings. Monday and Tuesday were not very crowded, though by mid-day the Harry Potter areas were busy. Wednesday and Thurs were a little busier, the walkways were crowded in the afternoon. Wait times seemed long after mid-morning, but not bad with express pass (we had express wed-fri). Friday was getting really busy in the parks, we left around noon and did Volcano bay in the afternoon. They didn't hit capacity while we were there.

My best tips are to do weekdays, like you planned, and to get there early. It's easy to do the Harry Potter rides during early entry, get a couple more right when the park opens, then slow down your pace as the crowds come. The express lines were really short in the morning (express pass can't be used during early entry, but you can use it immediately when the park opens for real). Have fun! We had a great time.

To give an idea of crowds, we were there this past week mon-fri. We did early entry most mornings. Monday and Tuesday were not very crowded, though by mid-day the Harry Potter areas were busy. Wednesday and Thurs were a little busier, the walkways were crowded in the afternoon. Wait times seemed long after mid-morning, but not bad with express pass (we had express wed-fri). Friday was getting really busy in the parks, we left around noon and did Volcano bay in the afternoon. They didn't hit capacity while we were there.

My best tips are to do weekdays, like you planned, and to get there early. It's easy to do the Harry Potter rides during early entry, get a couple more right when the park opens, then slow down your pace as the crowds come. The express lines were really short in the morning (express pass can't be used during early entry, but you can use it immediately when the park opens for real). Have fun! We had a great time.
Thank you!!! I went ahead and added the express pass to both days. And I will definitely plan to get there EARLY and take advantage of the early entry. So excited!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter