What is your go to summer gear?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We are planning on tackling a summer WDW trip. We are from NE and it does get very humid here, but i know the high temps of FL will be tough on us. Considering everything you have to endure during a summer trip - heat, humidity and the afternoon rains - what are some of your best items of clothing you bring?

We want to be those people who can handle the afternoon rain and just keep going to take advantage of everyone else running for cover.

What is your favorite rain coat?
shoes which are both comfortable and can still be worn in the rain?

As for other clothing I am guessing any moisture wicking athletic type shirts/tanks/shorts would probably be best.

I've been in the summer months a number of times and I'm going in July this year.
I don't really have "summer at WDW specific gear".
I wear jean shorts and t-shirts, sneakers, and have a pncho.
We aren't the type of run for cover either.
I do pack a second pair of sneakers so that if a pair did get very wet that day I have a dry pair for the next day although its usually not necessary.
I get hot and sweaty walking from place to place but then I cool off in the AC or at least shde.
I grab a drink and snack when I'm hungry, tired, and hot.

This will be really dependent on your tolerance for heat and humidity and what you find to be "cooling".

As for the weather and storms...It's a bit of hyperbole when people say it storms every day. Yes, t-storms are very common, but not every single day. We've had summer trips where we got t-storms 7 days straight. We've also had trips where we went 10 days without a t-storm (they happened overnight...or not at all). Or it may be sunny one minute, storm like mad for 30 minutes, then the sun comes back out. Or t-storm in MK and be sunny in AK. So just be prepared for storms, but you may or may not get them. As to how to deal with them, definitely don't want a rain coat, IMO. Most people use ponchos. We're fans of the $1 ones you get at Wal-Mart. They work great, are compact and disposable so you don't have to worry about them. Please don't bring an umbrella into the parks. They're already crowded and using an umbrella is just an easy way to poke someone in the face.

Clothes. Moisture wicking is great, but not necessary if you don't want to spend the money. Simple, light colored cotton clothes do fine too.

Shoes. I just have some plain sandals (I'm a guy) with straps across the top. Work great for me, but everyone has their own taste in shoes.

Some people like cooling towels or misting fans. Personally, I hate them. They actually make it worse. Sure, the misting fan will spray you with cool water, which lasts a few seconds. But then it just turns into warm water on your face, just like the rest of the sweat you already had. Ditto cooling towels.

Summer isn't really that hard to manage at WDW, IMO. Just use common sense. If you're in the parks mid-day, which is totally fine, do indoor rides such as CoP, Philharmagic, Dinosaur, Nemo, etc... Wear light clothes, stay hydrated, use sunscreen.

Moisture-wicking clothing does not work in high humidity. T-shirts and shorts are just fine.

Skip the rain jacket. Just think of the rain as a way to rinse the sweat off of your body.

Wear shoes that can get wet and not give you blisters. I go back and forth between Crocs and flip flops.

We are New Englanders too and are planning our 4th summer trip this year; we have to go then because of work.
I find raincoats just make me feel either clammy or freezing when I get into AC, so I personally wouldn't bother with those. Ponchos work well, are portable, and can be tossed. They also double as something to sit on at parades or on damp benches. I buy a bunch at the dollar store but also a few of the heavier weight ponchos from Bed Bath and Beyond, in case we get a soaker day.
For shoes, I can't stand the idea of socks in the heat, and wet socks is an even more horrifying thought - so I wear Merrills that are waterproof. I bring two pairs in case one gets soaked and needs to sit out a day to dry. My daughter and husband like Keen brand shoes for the parks for the same reason.
We personally love the misting fan and the cooling towels. We'll never go in the summer without them! I like the feel of the Frog Tog brand towels, or, we also picked up some nice ones at Costco.
I have a case of water delivered to the room chill the bottles & bring them with us to the parks in a ziploc bags. I do keep a few ziploc bags in my park bag to keep things like snacks and electronics dry.
We plan for early mornings, mid day breaks at the pool or table service meals, and evenings in the park.
Enjoy. It's really not so bad. I actually like it - if I'm in Florida, I want to feel a bit roasty!

For me? Sundresses with pockets and a wide brim hat are the absolute best choice, after 30+ trips in adulthood. The hat means your hair doesn't have to look that great but you still look decent for pictures. Most importantly it really keeps you cooler and keeps the flipping sun off you. DH and even his son wear short sleeve button downs and shorts - usually linen (the kid has to dress like daddy). We all wear sandals with a back, except DH, he's a rebel. I will say I learned a big lesson about fashion vs. practicality with backless sandals when it started pouring at WDW and we were running for cover. It was one of those storms were there is no space between the drops. I fell, broke my fancy pants (and dumb) sandals, scraped my knees and hands and got blood on my dress from said scrapes. I ended up buying some much more practical (but admittedly ugly) sandals at a giftshop. Now I try to make myself and the family look presentable, but practical too. As a woman, I find shorts to be the absolute WORST thing ever to wear. Should they get wet they'll chafe (especially if they have cuffs) or they ride up even when they seem to fit perfectly once they're wet and wrinkly and just...ugh. Dresses = no chafing and very quick drying. If you can't find dresses you like with pockets, just select the ones with seams on the sides and it's the easiest sewing progress ever to add:)

Sorry for the long post, but I think I've finally got this problem down. We were going out to a late dinner in my avatar pic and I think we look decent, and we were all perfectly comfy to stay out until about 12:30.

Sun dresses (preferably ones that are light weight and dry quickly) a large hat, and waterproof flip flops. I personally prefer olukai flip flops as they have good arch support. Over the summer there is a high probability of a passing thunderstorm (I lived in Florida, you can practically set your watch by them during the rainy season) so I do recommend the dollar store poncho. That said you could just not bring one and buy if the rain comes. It could be a fun souvenir and the Disney ones are nice!

When it's hot I always have my crocs, hat (I agree with @amberpi about covering your messy hair) and cooling towel. If it's really bad I use 2 cooling towels. One around my neck and one around my head under the hat.

I see your from MA also. You can get a cheap poncho from Job Lot (think they are 1$) I wear some light clothing and usually my Vans slip on sneaks when we go and its hot.

A couple of different pair of sneakers, athletic shorts (think Nike shorts & Lululemon shorts), t shirts, tanks, a poncho per person, a small backpack per person (that contains a water bottle, snacks and sunscreen), a baseball hat, sunglasses, flip flops (or Crocs to alternate sneakers with), extra socks. :)

We live in Texas ...I'd highly recommend this type of packing for Disney because our Texas summers are comparable to WDW summers so we're "in the know".

Cheap, thin rain poncho--- not as thick and hot.

Hiking sandals, like Teva, dry quickly but still give you support for lots of walking.

Hat. I like my Columbia ball cap because it is meant to be ran under cold water, wrung out, and then it keeps you cool. It doesn't appear wet because it is a nylon-type of material.

We always take August trips and are from the northeast as well. For our family, it's completely tolerable. We wear short/t-shirts, light sundresses and sandals for me and sneakers for everyone else. We always take two pairs as well as newspaper to stuff in them to help with drying. We personally can't stand ponchos- it's so hot and humid, they are just too sticky. We prefer umbrellas, unless it's majoring down pouring. In that case, we duck into a shop or ride for a bit to wait it until it's lighter. A lot of people swear by Frog Togs, didn't really help us any.

We always take August trips and are from the northeast as well. For our family, it's completely tolerable. We wear short/t-shirts, light sundresses and sandals for me and sneakers for everyone else. We always take two pairs as well as newspaper to stuff in them to help with drying. We personally can't stand ponchos- it's so hot and humid, they are just too sticky. We prefer umbrellas, unless it's majoring down pouring. In that case, we duck into a shop or ride for a bit to wait it until it's lighter. A lot of people swear by Frog Togs, didn't really help us any.

That's always been my feeling on the ponchos, too. I always feel like I'm cooking inside the poncho, to the point where I'd frankly rather just get wet if I weren't worried about chafing later from clothes that won't dry out.

That's always been my feeling on the ponchos, too. I always feel like I'm cooking inside the poncho, to the point where I'd frankly rather just get wet if I weren't worried about chafing later from clothes that won't dry out.

The poncho I use is a higher quality hiking poncho that is made out of a breathable fabric, I never feel too hot in it. It is larger then the cheap one you buy (also, far more expensive - but I’ve had it for a decade and it’s still holding up well, I also hike on occasion so it’s not just for Disney)

I'm going to focus on shoes and second the PP who said Teva sandals. I love, love both the Terra Float and the Verra. They are extremely lightweight and cool yet give great support for all-day walking.

When the rains come, my feet don't slip and slide inside the shoe or blister on the bottom, and the sandals don't slip either. My feet dry quickly, too. (I don't know how people make it in soggy sneakers!)

These are the only shoes I wear to WDW!

The poncho I use is a higher quality hiking poncho that is made out of a breathable fabric, I never feel too hot in it. It is larger then the cheap one you buy (also, far more expensive - but I’ve had it for a decade and it’s still holding up well, I also hike on occasion so it’s not just for Disney)

What brand do you use? Some of those storms can be so drenching, this might be the way to go for my family. TIA!

What brand do you use? Some of those storms can be so drenching, this might be the way to go for my family. TIA!
I have one from Eastern Mountain sports but I don’t see one like it online right now. I do see some at REI but the reviews are only so so... that said I have one that is 100 percent nylon. I normally use a water repellent treatment at the beginning of the season, and the nylon is defiantly more breathable then the standard ones...

I have one from Eastern Mountain sports but I don’t see one like it online right now. I do see some at REI but the reviews are only so so... that said I have one that is 100 percent nylon. I normally use a water repellent treatment at the beginning of the season, and the nylon is defiantly more breathable then the standard ones...

We wear quick drying clothing for the rain.

Two pairs of sneakers in case one pair gets wet.

Mid-day breaks help avoid some of the heat. We tour in the early morning, break and tour again after dinner. The heat is more tolerable when the sun goes down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter