What is your least favourite holiday?

Halloween. I'm trying to think of one thing I like about it. Nope, nothing comes to mind.
Agreed! I'm just not a Halloween person. All the creepy dead people decorations and giant spiders and cobwebs and loud noises and ugh. Not for me. I'm a Thanksgiving girl -- a holiday that revolves around food! :love:

The only good thing about Thanksgiving is college football -- and turkey. (I hate all of the other traditional foods, but I love turkey, so in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving I buy about 4 of them to cut up and freeze, and I cook one for the holiday itself, which we now eat with normal vegetables, instead of all those awful casseroles.)

We are the last of the family left in this area, and our parents are gone, so we no longer have to entertain or do duty visits, so we sleep in, stick a bird in the oven later, and hang out doing stuff around the house and watching movies or football.
Uhhhh...
Was there a down side to Thanksgiving somewhere in your post? Because that sounds amazing IMHO.

Religious aspects aside, I like Christmas the least.

It's just a long, long "to do & to buy" list - the decorating, the baking, the shopping, all the get togethers (for which you need to bake & shop). Every other holiday is one day & done, but Christmas goes on forever.

Plus, there's the expectation that it must be "magical" & "memorable," so, if you're not out looking at Christmas lights & doing the Elf on the Shelf & reading Christmas stories & going caroling & watching Christmas movies & baking cookies & making gingerbread houses & drinking hot chocolate in matching PJs & doing a fun Advent calendar & going to see The Nutcracker & all the other holiday things like Santa at the Zoo, then your kids will end up in therapy some day wailing to their therapists, "But Mom never made Christmas special for us!"

Second least favorite is Mother's Day (which should be renamed Grandmother's Day), &, the older I've gotten as both my & DH's mom have gotten older, it's just a day that brings up a lot of anxiety for me - both for me as a mother to children that are getting older & older & me as a daughter of a mom who's getting older & frailer w/ a lot of unresolved issues that I could never bring up w/ her now... guilt & a bit of bitterness & love... I just never end the day feeling good.

Last edited:
4th of July. Too much noise. It scares the animals. Too many people getting sloshed and driving.

Boring! Of course, I see fireworks every night of the year, so they don't mean that much to me.

My favorite holiday is Halloween followed closely by Christmas!

I don't like Halloween. I didn't like it as a kid either. I do like harvest stuff though, so if I wanted to do any entertaining in October it'd be Octoberfest or harvest themed.

It's changed over the years depending on the situation.

- When I lived in SF, I hated St. Patrick's because people would appear in my neighborhood drunk and continue to drinking. Made it hard to get the simplest chores done as a result. I'm fine with it now, especially since I no longer am in an area with lots of bars.
- I immensely disliked Christmas for a while, just because I was away from my family so it gave me little to celebrate. My husband and I have been figuring out Christmas on our own which has been good. (Though I still miss my gigantic family around the holidays).
- I currently dislike July 4th for the fireworks. Having 4 pets and ensuring their safety/comfort is a pain. Especially for the week leading up to the the fourth, and the week that follows since firecrackers seems to go on for a full two weeks and it can be infuriating.

Christmas. I dread it every year. So much work and money. And I try my hardest to make it special for everyone and that gives me anxiety. It’s harder now that the kids are getting older and we’re having to juggle their girlfriends’ families. I would love to go away on a cruise but then only some of the kids could spend the holiday with us so that’s a definite no go.

I don't like the 4th of July. It's not the holiday itself, but the idiots that have to blow off a ton of fireworks late into the night for a week and a half before and after the 4th. I have to go into work at 3am and need to get some sleep. People are just more and more inconsiderate. The neighbors don't even sweep up the mess they make in the street anymore.

This reminds me of a couple we met in the hot tub at Disney's HHI resort one Thanksgiving. She hated Thanksgiving. All the relatives came to her house and ate her food-not ONE person offered to help or bring things...that is, until the year we met them. They announced several months in advance that they were going away for the holiday. Yup, everyone was upset, "What are we going to do?" "Where are we going to go?" but the couple stood their ground. So, like us, they go to DHHIR every year, eat a precooked meal, wear jeans and either sit in the hot tub, or stay in their villa watching football (or something).

Thanksgiving is the one and only holiday that we actually like. Its all about the food. I don't mind cooking it since it is not that hard and we don't have a large family. But even if it was just hubby and me, we would still make the turkey and fixings. One year, after my mom died, my brother and his wife had Thanksgiving at their house. They don't know how to cook at all. They cooked the turkey in an electric roaster the day before(gag) and she tried to make stuffing and it was wet bread with raw vegetables. I actually made Thanksgiving the next weekend and everyone but them was invited. They still don't know and its been a decade.

Hands down, Easter. I didn’t even like it as a kid, it was a day I knew I had to dress up (which I didn’t like) and go to church (which I also didn’t like and it felt like it took forever). Even now as a non religious adult, it still feels like an obligation - Easter baskets, egg hunts, etc. Each year I do less and less for it.

ETA: I go ALL out for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, which are my absolute favorites, so I realize the irony of thinking Easter is too much “work”. I think it may be a mix of not having any good memories of Easter, with spending my energy, time, and money on my favorite holidays, (which I enjoy doing) that I may just be subconsciously burned out by putting those same resources into a day that I just don’t care for.

Last edited:
I think it's sad that so many people feel obligated to do the parts of the holiday they dread. There were a few years when my kids were little (maybe when they were between 2 and 12) that I felt that obligation to do trick or treating, Santa, and the Easter Bunny, but as they got older we reduced it to what we all enjoyed. If they wanted to continue something we didn't, they stepped up and helped make it happen. As far as the food, I make what we enjoy, skip what we don't. I think my holidays, from growing up until now, have always been very scaled down compared to the massive obligation that others seem to describe.

The number of posters here who hate holidays or feel overwhelmed by them is so sad to me. I would guess many posters are exaggerating to make their points more interesting but it still kind of gives me pause. My boyfriend and I make the holidays work for us rather than the other way round, if that makes sense. Observing the true meaning of what the holiday stands for ( religious and patriotic) we find also helps a lot, Just our 2 cents as holiday lovers.

I don’t think that there are any major holidays I actually hate. April Fool’s Day can be annoying with kids who come up with dumb pranks all day long, but mine are growing out of that phase and it barely qualifies as a holiday in my opinion. I love fall and pumpkins and the changing leaves, but I don’t like the evil part of Halloween. I like cute decorations and costumes—nothing scary or gruesome. Trick or treat is usually a fun night in our neighborhood. Maybe New Years Day? I don’t like the traditional foods and it signals the end of the holiday season and time to put away the decorations and head into dreary January. If I had to pick that might be it.

Let me count:Columbus day( you can't discover a land people are all ready on and he never set foot in North America)
Ground hog day( I am sure Phil loves to be picked up with a crowd around)
President's day: stupid
MLK day: yes I am sure he would have wanted kids to stay home and their parents to go shop.
Thanksgiving: yes we made it through and now we are going to kick the Natives off their land and give them diseases because the settlers didn't like to bathe much.
New Year's day should be called The Hangover struggle is real day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter