What is your opinion of Howard Johnson Hotel?

DisnyMama

<font color=blue>Can't keep my hands off of Pete's
I have been hearing really positive things about this hotel across the street from Disneyland and would really like to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks,
Shannon :flower:

The hotel is really nice, just not one of my first choices when I go to DL.

The rooms are big, and you get a fridge. There are 2 good size pools, plus a children's wading pool. And the staff is really nice.

Its not my first choice for 2 reasons.
1) No continental breakfast - granted its not much at other places, but its enough to get us started for the day, then we grab an early (big) lunch and light dinner.
2) Its a little farther out than my favorites. Not by much, and still very walkable, but I hated walking past some of the other places thinking I could already be home. It really makes a difference at the end of the day.

<- HOJO fan!

Ive stayed there 3 times and they have all been great :) (but I will admit the breakfast thing does hurt a bit-but they do have a pretty decent gift shop with a few good breakfast foods for reasonable.. and mimi and McDs is on the way to DL)

-em

We are already booked for two trips, there. We were able to get a good deal by booking early; so, we grabbed the rate. None of the places that are three star resorts were close to the price we paid. I'm still money ahead with doing a sit-down breakfast and that's surely better then a continental one. Now, in fairness we are only a party of three; so, for larger groups it would probably not be a savings unless you order light meals but with a fridge in your room you can get your own goodies of cereal, milk, etc. from the grocery store or their gift shop offers some items that get you by. You can save even more that way including time and privacy in your room. Also, you have no time limits. Read on.

Remember, there are no real freebies. It's priced in your stay one way or the other. There are rules with those so-called free continental breakfasts, too. There are set hours and some of the places have a very short window of 7am to 9 am to have that continental breakfast. We have found those places very crowded between 8am to 9am to the point of not even getting a table. Also, they run out of items and don't replace them very fast. Sorry, been there done that; it's not my thing.

Also, if you drive and park at DL this place is a very good location to get to the DL parking lot. It's one of the best. We do the parking lot because we have a Deluxe AP which includes parking there.

My vote is for this place hands down. :bounce:

We picked it because of its superb rating on tripadvisor.com, and the fgact it wins awards frequently on disney web sites and we were not disappointed.

It is NOT a luxury hotel, so don't expect fancy toiletries and a 5 star restaurant. As mentioned above it doesn't even do breakfast.

BUT - it has
- good sized clean rooms with good beds and pillows.
- nice bathrooms
- a coffee maker and fridge in the rooms
- great staff
- very good heated pool and spa and children's wet play area and another separate quieter pool
- a great on-site shop selling everything from breakfast cereal (with free disposable bowls and spoons) to milk, cookies, umbrellas, toiletries, first-aid supplies, beer, wine, deli items etc - everything you might need
- it's at most a 10 minute walk from the Disneyland entry plaza
- across the road is Mimi's a great place for breakfast lunch and dinner and nearby are Inn-n-out, McDonald's etc, etc.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Have a great Day! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter