• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your top reason for going solo?

I admit that on my first solo trip I had some moments where it definitely felt strange and a little lonely not to be sharing the experience with someone. My first solo signature meal was probably the biggest challenge. That said, I soon found myself falling into a “solo mode,” where you become engrossed in the details around you and enjoy those in a different, but wonderfully satisfying way. I took a little learning, but by my second solo trip, everything - including signature meals - was a breeze! It’s an amazingly freeing feeling.

A shorter trip length helps too. You can enjoy a lot of Disney in four days solo. It is a great place for a solo introvert (like me) because you blend into the crowd and you can engage or not engage with others depending on what you feel comfortable with. It doesn’t feel so much as if other people are looking at you either (they’re not - everyone is too busy), and if you accidentally do something awkward - hey, you’ll never see any of these people again, lol!

Thank you so much for responding :) It helped answer some of my questions and maybe in the future I will try a solo trip.

I love all these responses and makes me wish I could do it too, but it will "be someday".
I was wondering if loneliness enters the picture at all? I enjoy sharing things with my husband, and wonder if being able to share with someone else is missed. I'm also an introvert and shy, so there's that.

During my solo trip to Disneyland Paris, I did have a moment I felt lonely. It was during my first full day and was sitting on a bench somewhere and was messaging my friend with whom I went to WDW with earlier in the year and I felt like I could cry. It didn't help that I was really tired at that point. But when I rested for a few bit got myself a crepe with nutella and watched the fireworks those feelings were gone.

I'm an avid solo traveler and even though I love it, I will not lie and say every aspect about it is perfect. I do miss sharing experiences with people sometimes. I miss having someone to drag me along to do stuff when all I want to do is spend the night in bed watching TV. And even though I have no problem eating at table service restaurants by myself, I find them a lot less fun by myself than with others. Plus yes, there is some loneliness sometimes, especially during parts of the trips I'm really tired. But for me personally, it doesn't happen nearly enough for it to have a negative impact on my trip. The things I love about solo traveling far outweigh the things I don't like about it tbh.

There is a certain serendipitous quality you get when you travel alone versus traveling with others. You can do what you want when you want, and don't have to accommodate others opinions, dietary needs or schedules. Its also easier to get last minute deals as a solo. I've done it three times to Disney so far, and although I've had wonderful trips with family and friends, there is just something extra enjoyable when doing it solo. I agree with a lot of posters that signature dining is the biggest challenge, but I've found that if you don't mind sitting at the bar, or eating off-hours, it's a little less off-putting.

I actually don't have any specific reason I travel solo.

I plan where I want to go, when I want to go and if family or friends want to go with then they go along, if not I go on my own.

I love traveling solo and never let the thought of going alone stop me. Also if someone wants to do a trip with me I'm good with that cause I only travel with people I enjoy spending time with.

If someone expresses interest early enough I plan with them, if they want to tag along later I let them know my plans and we see if it can fit. Every so often, depending on who it is, I may change up my plans and make it work for them.

I've traveled domestically and internationally solo and with others. It's all good and both ways has pros and cons.

I like to travel alone. when I travel with family or friends - yea you do what they want to. because sometimes it will be their only trip to WDW and I know I will back. my biggest problem is I have a long, long list of food allergies - brought into DVC back in 93 because of that problem. Now still eat at restaurants but is easier to eat alone.

My parents always went to Orlando (we have a condo) for 2 weeks in the fall and when I was in my 20s and 30a I would fly down and go to the parks solo and stay with them for a week and fell in love with going solo. Now I usually do a spilt solo trip/ trip with friends or family. I love my trips with family/friends but I think I will always make time for my solo trips. I love the freedom and independence it gives me.

My parents always went to Orlando (we have a condo) for 2 weeks in the fall and when I was in my 20s and 30a I would fly down and go to the parks solo and stay with them for a week and fell in love with going solo. Now I usually do a spilt solo trip/ trip with friends or family. I love my trips with family/friends but I think I will always make time for my solo trips. I love the freedom and independence it gives me.

I've done the same, especially at Disney. I would add 1-3 days on the beginning or end of trip with family and friends to do solo stays.

I've got my Disney must do's down at this point so spending part of the vacation doing what others want is fine and I'll use the solo time to concentrate on my specific plans.

Especially if my folks want to go. They are about half the speed of me on anything and have mobility issues so as an example, they went to NYC with me a few years ago. I did the easy touristy stuff with them at about 1 big thing per day. When they left I spend three days cramming in museums, Broadway shows and heavy walking agendas that they could not keep up with or didn't want to do. It was a win-win kind of thing.

I have only taken one solo trip, but I have another scheduled. I love going to the parks with my family or friends, but I am the guide then and I am constantly worrying about them seeing everything, doing everything, etc. I totally am the only one who makes me feel like that. The solo trips allow me to just explore things on my own. I have been bending to others my whole life because that is just how I am. Being solo forces me to think about what I really like and focus on myself. I am relearning who I am by going solo and it's kind of cool. I enjoyed my first solo trip so much and have been eager to schedule another one, so I just did! I couldn't be more excited to start planning!

I have my first solo trip planned this November for the Wine & Dine HM and I’m really looking forward to it! My family actually really likes Disney, and my husband would be more than happy to go. However, this trip is mostly for the race, he’s not running, and we have a kid in school, so it just worked out easier for me to go by myself to enjoy the race. I can definitely be a little bit of a loner, but I’ve never vacationed by myself. In fact, my husband and I actually travel really well together and some of my favorite Disney trips have been when it’s just the two of us.
As I get older, I find myself wanting to spend more time alone and really enjoying the flexibility of getting to do what I want. All other people have said, I’m usually the planner when I go on group or family trips so plans end up being a compromise of what everyone’s gonna want to do. I think this trip will be a good one to take solo because of the lack of planning needed. With fast passes still not happening, and the food and wine festival going on, I don’t have to make any decisions in advance. Maybe I’ll book a nice breakfast/brunch for departure day, but otherwise I can totally play it by ear.
Reading all of your replies has given me a lot of reassurance that it will be a lot of fun to vacation in a spot where everyone else seems to be with somebody.

What you consider yourself a loner?
I am an ambivert which means both introverted and extroverted. I love my friends, but I need my alone time. I have 2 trips planned for next year. One with my Disney bestie and the second a solo...that I can’t tell anyone about because someone always wants to join me...and I love my solo time...so I am not a “loner” per se but enjoy my time alone...

What you consider yourself a loner?
I am an ambivert which means both introverted and extroverted. I love my friends, but I need my alone time. I have 2 trips planned for next year. One with my Disney bestie and the second a solo...that I can’t tell anyone about because someone always wants to join me...and I love my solo time...so I am not a “loner” per se but enjoy my time alone...

I consider myself an introvert and those around me consider me an extrovert LOLOLOLOL. I can be both depending on the situation.

I don't think of myself as a loner, because I don't ever feel alone or lonely. What I am is content with my own company. I choose to spend some of my time alone and I am generally better for it, because other parts of my life require me to be engaged or the focus of large groups and it can wear you down.

My family group is small but they all are the types that have to have people around them. CONSTANTLY. They do not understand that I sometimes want to be alone and not have to make small talk, or that I enjoy activities at my own pace, or that I am really happy hanging out at home watching movies or reading by myself.

But put me in a group of people and I will bring the party with me party:

Well, sadly, things have progressed to the point that I have to travel solo. 😞 ------ I'm the only one left. My husband passed last year.
(The cats aren't interested in Disney, except for the rumors of the oversized Mouse)

So sorry for your loss, I have been to Disney parks around the world solo and always had a very enjoyable time i hope it is the same for you.

This will be my 1st Solo trip at 62 years young. For 5 days I will be on my own and then there will be a group of 7 family members arriving.
I normally would be with my older sister, but she passed away in November from Covid19, hence a reason I am on my own the first few days I am there. We had planned on arriving a few days earlier before she passed away so I'm sticking with the plan as I know she was busy planning what to do before she got so sick.
I am looking forward to it, as I've never done it before and have always secretly wanted to give it a try. She was the one who did most of the planning so it is definitely a new experience for me.

Hoping you had a wonderful trip.

DH is a homebody and doesn't love Disney. My favorite solo trip was pre-pandemic at Disneyland. With no more runDisney events at DL a few years back, I planned my solo weekend trip around a locally organized Huntington Beach race. Loved the scenic run and I was back in the park for rides in the afternoon. My last solo trip was this July (also at DL) and I took advantage of the (relatively) less crazy LA traffic to try several highly rated ethnic restaurants in Pasadena and Monterey Park and not just confine myself to park fare. I am planning my next solo trip to the World in May with the goal of staying at all the remaining DVC resorts I have not tried (CCV, Poly, Riviera) over a span of 6 nights, which means I have to move mid-stay twice, which would drive DH nuts!

Kids are grown, hubby doesn’t care for crowds, and friends aren’t interested. Selfishly, I look forward to doing exactly what I want also. Headed down for my birthday in a couple of weeks and can’t wait to celebrate with a black & tan at R&C.

Well, sadly, things have progressed to the point that I have to travel solo. 😞 ------ I'm the only one left. My husband passed last year.
(The cats aren't interested in Disney, except for the rumors of the oversized Mouse)
Peace to you. May your future trips be wonderful and adventures to remember.

I plan to travel solo for the first time next month. I usually go with DH and we have a good time, we get along well, and usually agree on what to do next and what to skip. I do tend to take the lead in the planning so am looking forward to not feeling responsible for someone else’s enjoyment. I have a few days I will be spending alone either at home or, why not at Disney? I’m so tired of staying home and not socializing. I’m fully vaccinated and will hopefully have my booster by then, too. I basically just want to see if I like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter