What job would you want to do if money was no object?

Queen. . .although that would require too much work and socialization. :rolleyes1 Grandma might be nice, but my children do not seem inclined to oblige that occupation.

Travel writer might be an interesting sideline because I am really working toward retirement at this stage of the game and hoping to travel more.

Librarian, museum curator, bookstore worker/owner, historical home tour guide/restorer.

Basically, anything with books and/or history.
I've been a public, corporate, and academic librarian. Only a portion of my job had anything to do with reading books. I also developed and taught classes, worked the reference desk, attended faculty meetings for the departments I supported and managed portions of the collection. I never read for fun at work. All of my reading was either for professional development or reviews of books to decide whether or not to add them to the collection. By the time I got home, I didn't feel like reading anything. I didn't start reading for pleasure again until a month after I left my final librarian job.

Don't get me wrong. I loved being a librarian. I loved teaching classes I developed without having to discipline students or grade. I enjoyed the challenge of not know what the next patron would ask at the reference desk. I loved it when I saw a someone check out a book I had added to the collection. My fellow librarians were, for the most part, some of the most fun people I have ever worked with.

Don't become a librarian just because you love to read though. You have to love to serve a very diverse clientle and enjoy the other aspects of the job too or else you'll become burnt out. You also have to be comfortable with choosing to remove books from the collection so that the library's collection better serves your patrons. Most libraries are about serving their patrons, not about collecting books, although books are an important part of how we serve our patrons.

Work at a community health center and assist them with getting grants and other funding. I think they provide such a valuable service for people who cannot afford healthcare.

Work at a community health center and assist them with getting grants and other funding. I think they provide such a valuable service for people who cannot afford healthcare.

Well if money was no object you could just give them as much money as they could use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter