What "old wives tales" do you still find yourself adhering to?

GramToEmandKenn

Earning My Ears
My mom had a lot of them but just thought of one while I was cutting up a cucumber for my lunchtime salad. She used to say to cut the ends off the cucumbers and rub them on the ends to "take the badness out". She also used to say if you saw the backs of the leaves it was going to rain, if one of her hands itched, going to get money or give money, etc. Love to know what you think.

Rubbing a potato on a wart. I had one on my knee as a kid and my Aunt cut potato in half, rubbed one half on my wart then told me to buy my half of the potato without telling her where, while she buried the other half somewhere else. It worked. I've not had another opportunity to test the validity of the process :)

My mom had a lot of them but just thought of one while I was cutting up a cucumber for my lunchtime salad. She used to say to cut the ends off the cucumbers and rub them on the ends to "take the badness out". She also used to say if you saw the backs of the leaves it was going to rain, if one of her hands itched, going to get money or give money, etc. Love to know what you think.

Yes--when you see the shiny sides of the leaves (silver, backs, etc.), it's going to rain. And when cows were lying in a field it was going to rain.

ETA: Probably more a superstition, but my grandmother used to cut the tip of her pie off and eat it last. Dunno why. I'll google to find out.

Last edited:
The leaf thing (shiny side or backs of leaves) is true. Not an old wives' tale. When we're ready to get a thunderstorm, I always see the leaves turn like that. Not so on a regular, rain though. It's more like when a storm comes in.

When DW and I first started living together, I cut the ends of a cucumber and threw them away. She was aghast and told me about the rubbing the ends business. She got it from her father. I thought DW and her father were the only ones who believed this nonsense.

Bad things come in threes. It seems to happen again and again and again (see what I did there?).

I'm almost convinced this one is true.

Horsefeathers!!!! If you're patient like me and wait another week you'll see that bad things always happen in fours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter