What really small thing influenced your life in a big way when you look back on it, good or bad

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
My husband’s aunt mentioned she’d seen they were opening up a nursing school in the college I was attending. They never did, but it put the idea in my head. I wound up transferring to another school and getting my nursing degree.

I think it speaks to how we really do influence those around us maybe without even realizing it sometimes. And that it’s not only the earth shattering things that make a difference, often it‘s something small.

Share your experiences!

I had a choice of two one month long college internships. Same credit.
One in San Francisco at a radio station. My girlfriend wanted me to take it and live with her parents.
One in Sacramento at a TV station.
I chose the Sacramento TV station. Lost a girlfriend, changed my career path, gained me a wife.

Taking a typing class in high school.

I was going to say the same thing. I took typing as an elective my senior year in high school. It helped fill in the day until basketball practice and I thought it might be useful when I went to college. It was, but I never dreamed I'd be typing almost every single day for the rest of my life.

Thanks, Mrs. Morton....wherever you are!

My typing and shorthand class in high school. My teacher was very strict. If we misspelled a word on our typing assignment, we got an F for the day. He told us we could use the dictionary in the room or go to him if we needed help, but there was no excuse for not spelling correctly. To this day, I am a stickler for correct spelling; and I still use my shorthand, especially when I want to write a note to myself that the rest of the family cannot read.

Another one - after smoking three packs a day for decades, my daddy (RIP) laid his pack of Pall Malls on his doctor's desk and never smoked a cigarette again. I was in high school then but I still look back on that day (I was with him at the doctor's office) and realize that I can do anything I put my mind to.

I had a choice of two one month long college internships. Same credit.
One in San Francisco at a radio station. My girlfriend wanted me to take it and live with her parents.
One in Sacramento at a TV station.
I chose the Sacramento TV station. Lost a girlfriend, changed my career path, gained me a wife.

maybe next time, im teasing

After high school I joined the military and after boot camp attended a basic electronics course - required before attending any specialty courses. During this training we were taught a lot of hands-on knowledge including the use of various types of test and calibration equipment. One item of test equipment was the oscilloscope. During the exam for the usage of it I neglected to make a necessary correction in the measurement of some wave forms which made my score for that test slightly lower.

At the end of the basic electronics course the top 3 got to choose their specialty. I was number 4 by a few hundredths (!) of a point. I I had been able to choose my specialty it would likely have been different than what I was assigned. I would have learned something different, traveled to different places and likely made different choices. I'm not saying my life would have been better or worse but I am sure that one test likely changed part of the course for my life.

When I was around 10 I was in Church and the Monsignor stopped his Homily to tell all of us (my entire school was in the service) that while we always hear about what we are supposed to do and how we are supposed to act to make the adults around us happy it is important that we always remember that the adults around us, and our parents, have a duty to us. Went on to say that we did not "belong" to our parents and that the adults around us were just stand-ins until we get to heaven. No-one ever said anyone had a responsibility to me before, I only heard it that one time, never again, but once was enough.
That one thought literally changed the way I saw the world and my entire life, a very small but extraordinarily big thing.

When I was around 10 I was in Church and the Monsignor stopped his Homily to tell all of us (my entire school was in the service) that while we always hear about what we are supposed to do and how we are supposed to act to make the adults around us happy it is important that we always remember that the adults around us, and our parents, have a duty to us. Went on to say that we did not "belong" to our parents and that the adults around us were just stand-ins until we get to heaven. No-one ever said anyone had a responsibility to me before, I only heard it that one time, never again, but once was enough.
That one thought literally changed the way I saw the world and my entire life, a very small but extraordinarily big thing.
That is absolutely fantastic

My husband’s aunt mentioned she’d seen they were opening up a nursing school in the college I was attending. They never did, but it put the idea in my head. I wound up transferring to another school and getting

Love it.

The trajectory of people's lives are beyond fascinating to me Pea-n-Me.

When I went to choose where I went to school, I always knew I wanted to be away. I was intent on going to Nova Scotia. My mother told me that if I went I was not coming home for any holiday etc. (Plane ride versus train/bus). It was really disappointing. I was paying for school but plane rides would have been way too much for me to factor in a budget. It opened me up to a small university in Quebec. Still away but only eight hours. Those years are gold to me. The friends still with me. The area. The impact of it all. Who knows what was waiting out east but my God I could not imagine my life without all of it.

How fascinating.

Taking a typing class in high school.
Oh my goodness. Same here! I took one half-year typing class in 10th grade. Afterwards, I always "typed" things mentally in my head and using my fingers (if that makes sense) as I didn't have a typewriter at home back then. Typing is the main part of the job I've had for the last 30+ years! I wouldn't have this job if not for that one half-year class.

Oh my goodness. Same here! I took one half-year typing class in 10th grade. Afterwards, I always "typed" things mentally in my head and using my fingers (if that makes sense) as I didn't have a typewriter at home back then. Typing is the main part of the job I've had for the last 30+ years! I wouldn't have this job if not for that one half-year class.

I had typing in 11th...grade I think? And got a computer around that time. 1992-93. I've work in software development since 1999, so I don't know how I would have survived if I had to hunt and peck.

I submitted my college application to one particular school a week too late to be considered for their highest scholarship, which admissions folks told me I would have been eligible. I got a much smaller scholarship and chose my other top choice school. Sophomore year, I met my future wife in class. :)

In grade 7 I fractured my wrist. As I sat in the busy ER waiting my turn I watched all sorts of injuries, blood, and drama around me. I loved it, including watching the doctor reduce my fracture.
I spent well over 20 years working in the ER in 2 different countries. I really did enjoy it. (until I burned out :scratchin :rolleyes:)

Being one of my DD18’s softball coaches for 10 years.
Influenced my life by being a part of these young ladies lives.
I gave out lots of hugs for achievements, wiped away a lot of tears and gave out hugs for failures, patched up a lot of wounds, listened to issues with boys or school issues and more. My heart is so full with being a part of their lives. Now they are 18 or older and we‘re friends on social media and they still hug me and talk about their lives. For years I felt like I had a dugout full of nieces and I’m blessed that I had this time with them ❤️

While working a job in college one of my peers left as he took a job as a flight attendant for America West Airlines. He loved it, and listening to him I really thought I would enjoy that for a few years before getting my masters degree. (My counselors advised that I needed a real world job for at least 2-5 years, otherwise I wouldn’t be considered a great candidate to hire.) So, I applied to all of the majors and 2 companies told me I had the job if I wanted it. I went with the one that flew more international routes.

Not only did I love 🥰 that career and the company I worked for, I met my husband there too. All thanks to my one friend who took the job at AWA to “meet chicks.” 😂

The really funny thing is DH was hired at 2 airlines as well. It was meant to be we both chose the one we did!

(and no, I never went back for my masters)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter