• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What there is to do for a single adult in their mid-30s at WDW

sphinx

Earning My Ears
I am 35 and have been trying to figure out where I want to go on vacation this year.

Is there anyone out there in their mid-30s who recently visited or is planning to vacation at WDW as an Adult (without kids)?

If so, why did you pick Disney as your vacation choice?

What did you like about it?

I'm 30, and headed down over Labor Day for about 5 days. I am going to be joined by a friend for the first 2 days, but will be solo for the remaining days.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Disney solo... I don't have to play tour guide, I don't have to do things I'm not in the mood to do... I can sit all day long on the beach at the Poly sipping fruity drinks if I want to! To me, it's all about the freedom to just do what I want when I want!! I pick Disney because I love it there, and always have, and because as a single woman, it's one of the only places that I truly feel safe being by myself.

Go for it!! You'll love it if you do...

I'll admit, WDW can be a nice trip if you're traveling with youngsters you love and seeing them have a great time. Very rewarding and heartwarming.
BUT.
I remain firmly convinced that Disney is at its best for grownups. At least grownups of the right kind. My fiance and I are both 33 years old. We go to Disney (this Novemeber will be the fourth kid-free trip in as many years), and the second we step off that plane we magically regress to age 8. Every ounce of stress leaves our bodies, and we have a whole week to be kids in a candy store.
There's incredible dining (What can I say? Our taste buds do actually remain grown-up). There's great pools and recreation outside the actual theme parks. When the kiddies and their 'rents are screaming for the parades, you can be giddily riding Big Thunder Mountain or Rock-N-Roller Coaster many times in a row. There's Pleasure Island and its various, um, diversions. A little something for everyone, as long as you're willing to let your hair down. And the level of customer service I've experienced is matchless. Employees there are actually NICE. Helpful and cheerful, even.
I'd easily choose to do WDW all by my lonesome. There are so many activities to choose from, I could quite easily see myself there for a month, doing something different every day and never being bored.
If any of this sounds like it fits your personality type, I'd say go for it. It many be expensive, for for me, it's always been worth every penny.

To answer the original question in one word: Everything.

You can act out your childhood fantasies that would not dare to do elsewhere, like hug Mickey Mouse or Pooh or Cinderella.

Ride "kiddie" rides like Triceratops Spin or Dumbo again.

Visit the World Showcase area of Epcot.

Or if you want to just get your foot wet before diving in, try Pleasure Island. Nightclubs with music of your era. Comedy. It's hard to describe the Adventurers' Club but most grown ups enjoy it.

Even looking at the scenery and decorations is worthwhile.

I have to admit that things are not really intellectually stimulating, but that is not why Walt Disney World was built.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

You can do EVERYTHING at WDW !!! I am a woman, 51 years of age, and I have had now 5 solo trips to WDW.
I do almost every show, and every ride that I can physically enjoy. Believe me - you will not look stupid as a grown-up kid enjoying the rides. Trust me on this ! As I get older, I cannot tolerate the rides that spin, or something like Star Tours.
But that's OK - there's lots of things for me to do.

I vacation alone because we do not have children at all. My DH has been to WDW with me for 4 annual vacations, and he does not really feel like he needs any vacation, anywhere, anymore.
( He is retired, but I'm not ) I am obsessed with WDW.
I feel totally safe on vacation as long as I stay on Disney property.
I don't like a vacation where you lay around all day on a beach.
I want to be active, and yet I am not athletic. WDW is perfect for me. I am walking all day, seeing the sights, and I enjoy everyone else's children as they relate to the characters.
The rides and shows are totally amazing.

Go For It !

I agree that Disney is fantastic for adults!! It is a whole different world that many with children don't get to see. (We are trying to enjoy those days while we can!)
Anyway, I'd like to suggest getting yourself a ticket to see La Nouba. It is simply an incredible show! Also, treat yourself to a spa treatment at the Grand Floridian Spa (I've had an amazing massage there!). It would also be fun to do a little resort hopping, and check out all of the different resorts!

katie

Originally posted by sphinx
I am 35 and have been trying to figure out where I want to go
on vacation this year.

Is there anyone out there in their mid-30s who recently visited or
is planning to vacation at WDW as an Adult (without kids)?

If so, why did you pick Disney as your vacation choice?

What did you like about it?

I was just there in May, and I'll be celebrating my 35th birthday
at WDW in November. A couple of weeks later, I'll be back again
for the December meets.

Why do I like Disney? I've always loved the theme parks.
Beyond the parks, I like exploring the resorts and trying
the full service restaurants.

I set my own schedule, at my own pace. Often, I meet up with
some locals who I'm friendly with, or I know people who'll be at
WDW the same time as me, so I'll meet up with them for a dinner
or two.

And in the evenings, I will hang out and enjoy the shows at the
Adventurers Club. Sometimes I venture out to the Comedy
Warehouse, but not as often as I'm at the AC. :)
I used to go to Jellyroll's duelling pianos bar, and that's a lot
of fun, too.

I find that when I travel alone, and more than once a year,
I'll spend time enjoying the live entertainment at the parks,
or exploring areas I usually rush past.

I've found that anything I could do on any other vacation
(besides gambling) could be done at Disney. I've had spa
treatments and a massage, gone miniature golfing, swimming,
and I've rented the speedy little water mice boats. I'm not
into golf, tennis, or fishing, but I know that those options are
available for those who love that sort of thing.

I've found that since I joined DVC, I've been able to go more
frequently than I had in the past, and I always love coming
back.

I'm slightly out of my thirties but have been travelling to WDW regularly, mostly solo, for 10 years. Each time I discover and try something new. WDW is MUCH more than a kid's playland - the vision I assume plenty of non-visitors (including many friends) have.

If you like entertainment, sports, dining, shopping, camping, fishing, spas or any number of things you will find it at WDW.

Here are a few suggestions:

* Go to the House of Blues at DD for concerts by top, current performers.
* See Cirque de Soleil at DD for an incredible show.
* Take a golf or tennis lesson from an on-staff pro. If you already love golf, play one of the Championship courses.
* Watch a pre-season pro Baseball or Football game at Disney's Wide World of Sports.
* Dine at one or several of WDW's top rated restaurants (regionally and nationally), such as Citrico's, Blue Zoo or the Flying Fish.
* Find unique items and old favorites at the shops of DD or the parks.
* Camp at Fort Wilderness. Then enjoy the beauty of the location with hikes along it's trails, a horseback ride or boat trip across the lake.
* Book a fishing trip that leaves from selected WDW Resorts.
* Relax with a spa day. Enjoy a message, workout in one of the well equipped gyms or get your hair restyled.
* Learn culinary tips and secrets from pro Chefs and sample their creations during the Food & Wine Festival.
* Perk up your garden with tips and ideas from the Flower & Garden Festival.

I agree with everything stated above. I have visited Disney as both a kid and as an adult (now mid 30's). I did a solo 10 day trip there last year and absolutely loved it; of course I am a disney fanatic.

Why Disney? Hum, how to answer, simply - Why not?
If you like theme parks then you have to go. If you like adventure then you have to go, if you like shows, if you like rides, if you like waterparks, restaurants, golfing, mini-golf,Circue shows, horserides, hayrides, cheesy shows etc. etc. There is so much to do or if you want to take it easy and relax there is that option as well.

I like to go to Disney because it is an all in one vacation with transportation between stops. Generally you never run into a lot of rude cursing people as most are on vacation with their kids and trying to enjoy everything like you. Just walking into the parks makes you feel something special and removes those everyday stresses. When I am there no one knows me and no one really cares if I decide to ride SM one hundred times. There is no one to say there tired can we go back to the room. I can do whatever I want when I want to do it. Also even though your alone, your really not alone. I talk to my line neighbors when I feel like it and am quite when I don't want to talk (bring headphones or a book with you).

What to do well that is up to your liking but personally for me, I love checking out all of the other resorts. Walking around the grounds, bit of shopping, eating something at one of their restaurants and dreaming about an eventual vacation at that resort.

I say make your ressie's and go for it. You'll enjoy it.

I

I say plan your trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter