what to do in Cozumel HELP!

AnnMorin

<font color=babyblue>I HATE SNOW!!!<br><font color
Ok our 60 day mark is here and we still don't know what to do in Cozumel. Can you do Channukub (sp?) on your own? Is it worth it? what about the ruins or beach. I want to be able to go shopping so don't want an all day excursion. Someone help us decide!!

yes, you can go there on your own. I was docked at a different pier, but I am guessing from where DCL docks it will be about a ten dollar taxi ride one way for three or four people that you can get into a small taxi. Entrance fee is 10 bucks for those 11 and above. Under ten is free. You can go there and enjoy, and still have plenty of time for shopping.

There are many, many things to do in Cozumel ~ both planned excursions and "do it yourself" "almost free" stuff!! As far as excursions go I would recommend one of these:

Dolphin Swim
Jungle Jeep Tour
Horseback Riding

As for "do it yourself" or "almost free" ~ why limit yourself to just one beach like Chank all day when you can rent a car for as little as $$38.50 and go all over the island to ALL the beaches??!!! Chankanaab is nice but there are plenty of FREE, beautiful beaches that you can enjoy while you also see more of our island!!

Whatever you decide, enjoy your time in cozumel and since I don't spend much time on the BB's email me directly with your questions ~ I live here and am happy to help guide you with your planning in Cozumel!
:jester:

sherri, I emailed you privately but incase anyone else was going to recommend the dolphin swim or jeep tour those two are out. My dh won't spend the 300.00 for the three of us to do the dolphin swim (funny he has no problem spending 70.00 for himself to parasail though) and I called disney and asked if our son could go on the jeep tour. It says 10 and up and he will be ten two months after we cruise. they said no way.

:jester: Well, perhaps for liability reasons disney doesn't want to allow kids under 10 on THEIR APPROVED tours.

However, you should be aware that there are MANY tour providers on the island who do jeep tours. The one I work with has an excellent reputation & works only with smaller groups [max. 9 jeeps]. This jeep tour is $80 per person and kids under 8 are $45 !! So see, kids can go!!

I did respond to your privately sent email ~ I hope you got it!!

I did notice your jeep tour and it looked GREAT but long. I do so want time to go shopping. I am still toying with the idea of renting a jeep like you suggested. That was a great price, I am just nervous about getting lost, the only spanish I know is from high school and Que pasa ( I am sure spelled wrong) will only get me so far:)

:jester: Don't worry Ann ~ this is a tourist island....most anyone you come across will be able to speak to you....somehow! They are used to it!!! Alot of english is spoken here and the island is so small it's just impossible to be lost for long!! When you see the road map for the island - you'll laugh!! [one road all the way around the island!!] Town is laid out in square blocks....it can't get much easier!

There's tons of shopping...either in town...or as you go around the island visiting the different beaches/bars, etc. But remember...nothing is actually made here...it all comes from the mainland ~ so if you're seeking some kind of authentic locally made treasure....forget it!!! buy a beer instead!! :smooth:

Do NOT bring your son to Carlos n Charlies!!
I was there w/MIL last Dec. The girls were falling out of their shirts even in the afternoon! Really wild place

thanks for the carlos and charlies tip, my son had enough of an anatomy lesson last year in St. Maarten

oh no! Is there any particular spot to keep DS10 away from when we cruise the Eastern Nov 30th?

Originally posted by imgoingtodisney

oh no! Is there any particular spot to keep DS10 away from when we cruise the Eastern Nov 30th?

Not really. There are nude beaches at St Maarten (Orient Beach being the one where you're most likely to see full nudity), and you may encounter topless women at any other beach at St Maarten.

But I would suggest that any of these would be fine for a DS10... it's simply skin exposed to the sun as compared to Carlos N' Charlies where women are exposing themselves for a more prurient interest.

Where is a good place to rent a jeep? Is it far from where the ship docks? We had planned to take a taxi to Chankanaab, but it would be nice to pick our beach instead of going with the crowd.
:sunny:

Hi Sherri: (or any other experienced traveler)
Love your web site at www.cozumelinsider.com. May I ask your help with a couple of questions?

You mention renting a car. We were thinking of taxi hopping to a couple of beaches (haven't decided which). Would it be better to pay a taxi for a couple of rides or rent a car. We have 4 adults and 2 kids in the party. In the past we rented a car in St. Martins (loved it) and took the safari taxis in USVI as they drive on the wrong side of the road there (loved that also). Cars/minivans that seat 6 can get expensive but it is nice to set your own schedule and have the freedom to come and go as you please. How is the parking at National Park and Playa San Francisco?

Also, we need a walk-in beach as we have 6-year-olds who are not confident swimmers and 2 of the adults don't swim at all. I heard Chankanaab does not have a walk-in zero entry beach. How is the sand at Playa San Francisco? I heard that sea grass may be a problem in the water. We are going mid-January.

We have a nice long day in Cozumel. It would be a shame to waste it. We live in the desert and love to go to the beach and see water.

How about lunch? Any recommendations while we are out?

And... where was this picture from the beaches page on your web site taken?.
Thanks so much.:earsboy:

From the cruise ship piers to the first "south end" beach ....say Dzul Ha Beach...the taxis charge $6 ONE WAY....let's say you then go on to another beach....probably another $6....then return to your pier for $12.....gosh....you've paid for a VW rental basically!! So why not have the freedom and flexibility to go anywhere on the island for basically the same money??

Why is it this way you ask?!
Cab drivers take advantage of your fears and laziness when getting off the ship! Most folks are either afraid of driving or getting lost or just plain too lazy to hassle with getting their own car for the day. Taxi's just love that $6 run to the first beach and back....they do it all day long and as a result enjoy the best standard of living of anyone on the island! [it's not right but it's the truth]

As far as good beaches....there are many...some free some not! If you are coming in mid-January you might try dzul ha beach club which is new and opening jan 10th. They have magnificent snorkeling and a good entry beach for beginners! The beaches chart/info on www.cozumelinsider.com is still current and accurate and.....I'm not really sure which beach pic you're refering to....??!!!
Have fun!!

We went to Chankanabb via taxi on our recent October cruise. If we went to Cozummel agin, then we have said we would do Chankanabb again...the snorkelling was great. However getting in and out of the water is NOT easy. You get in via steps. The first couple of steps are ok, then they sort of change to rocks, which are under the water and slimy!! ( and if getting in is tricky, then getting out is even harder ) I spent the rest of the cruise with a really attractive six inch bruise on the top of my leg, but it was worth it.
What I'm trying to say is the snorkelling is good, but if you are not confident getting in and out of the water, then perhaps its not the best place to go:D

You're just plain crazy if you don't enjoy some of our seafood while here on the island!!
A couple of "locals" favorites~
Great Value Lobster:
Lobster Cove downtown area next to Barracuda Hotel

Here in town we have "locals" seafood coctelerias....the best is on
65 Ave at Calle 27Sur called CONCHE DEL CARIBE
the whole fried fish is to die for....as is the ceviche mixtos and of course shrimp kabob!!

On the EAST SIDE of the island ~ try these:
Best ceviche mixtos : Paradise Cafe
Best fried fish: Chen Rio

Obviously there are lots of great touristy restaurants as well....but hey, you can find those on your own!! These above...maybe you wouldn't have heard of them unless I told you!!
Have fun and enjoy your day in Cozumel!! [please do pig out!]:jester:

We were so tired from jewelry shopping that we returned to the ship for lunch. We promiced our son cozumel mini golf and decided to take a taxi. The man quoted us 12.00 USD for all of us and as we were so wiped we accepted. It was a HELL ride. He went 70 miles an hour on crowded streets with no seatbelts. When we arrived he did not have change (how convient) and we had to pay 20.00 for the ride. The owner of the golf pointed us in the right direction and it was only three blocks from the ship-(cab driver obviously took the long way) it was a shorter walk than cab ride!

Those sorts of taxi stories are highly annoying and the very reason I say rent a car!!! Since I'm American and live here, every time I'm forced to take a cab somewhere I am subjected to the same abuse you are getting as a visitor! So believe me...I know your horror and feel your pain!!

EVERY CAB DRIVER IS REQUIRED TO CARRY THE OFFICIAL RATE SHEET IN THEIR CAB. Always ask to see it and have the driver point to where you are NOW vs where you are wanting to go....check him to make sure he's showing you correctly...the rate should be clearly indicated on the chart. IF THE CAB DRIVER HAS NO RATE SHEET....tell him to move on....you'll get another one.

This is the only way to HELP keep them in line!!! :jester:

We were on the Nov 9th Western Magic with dd6 & dd4. Cozumel was our favorite port! We got off the ship, walked across the street from the pier to Budget, rented a full size car for $89 (did not have a reservation) and were on our way to Chankanaab within 20 minutes.

In regard to your question about walk-in beaches...Chankanaab has a very nice (but small) walk in beach set on a protected cove (no waves). The sand was great and our dd's love running in & out of the water. We also walked thru the beautiful gardens, watched the sea lion show and had our picture taken with the sea lion (best $5 we spent on the cruise) Then watched people swimming with the dolphins.

In hind sight, we probably spent too much time at Chankanaab. After lunch at the park, we drove a few miles down to Mr. Sancho's beach. What a blast. Absolutely beautiful beach. It was a little steep (dropped off quickly) as you walked into the ocean but was still only about 3' deep as far as 15 yards out. Our dd's loved playing in the waves, making sand castles. DW loved the margarita at the swing bar and just relaxing while watching our girls have a blast. We ended up staying until dusk.

After Mr. Sanchos beach, we drove back to town, dropped off the car and spent about 2 hours shopping in countless number of jewlery stores and then walked back to the ship!

The cabs would certainly have been cheaper for us but we did not have anything really planned and having the car was a luxury well worth the extra $$$.

Hope this helps...Have a wonderful cruise!

By the way... Budget rental car was located in the 2 story mall dircectly across the street from the pier. It is on the second level on the right hand side of the mall.

The $89 was our total cost including taxes and insurance for a full size car (obviously cheaper rates for the midsize and compacts. We walked right in, had no line at the counter and got our car very quickly (the car lot is right behind the mall). Maybe it was due to the date of our cruise or maybe it was because we got off the ship as soon as they let us but Budget had plenty of cars available for walk-ins. I strongly suggest getting the insurance unless you are certain your insurance coverage is good outside the US. The cab drivers and moped riders are nuts. Once out of the downtown area, it's a breeze. (Make a concious effort to remember how to get back to lot. It's a little tricky since its behind the mall and there are a lot of one way streets.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter