• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to Pack for early January?

I seldom wear sneakers unless working out, but I know I will want something comfortable for the parks. I typically wear shoe boots with pants, but know I can't last in those all day at the parks. I've thought about buying dansko's or similar. It's a total fashion struggle.

Forget fashion at WDW. Comfort rules, especially for your feet! Bring your most comfortable sneakers that you can walk 13 miles in

The best advice is have a little bit of everything. Good chance for shorts weather all afternoon but pants and jacket before and after. It could also take a turn and be cold weather and has in the past where you need to be bundled up like you live in the snow belt. You don't need to go nuts but whatever you choose to not bring is probably going to be what you need to buy while here and that can get costly vs an extra suitcase and a day, maybe 2 of other weather clothing for everyone.

I find forecasts to be accurate for only a day or two, the weather can change that quickly around here so take it with a little grain of salt. some days you'll want shorts, others you wont and there is a chance of snow and needing that clothing as well.

The best advice is have a little bit of everything. Good chance for shorts weather all afternoon but pants and jacket before and after. It could also take a turn and be cold weather and has in the past where you need to be bundled up like you live in the snow belt. You don't need to go nuts but whatever you choose to not bring is probably going to be what you need to buy while here and that can get costly vs an extra suitcase and a day, maybe 2 of other weather clothing for everyone.

I find forecasts to be accurate for only a day or two, the weather can change that quickly around here so take it with a little grain of salt. some days you'll want shorts, others you wont and there is a chance of snow and needing that clothing as well.

Thank you, I agree completely. We are better off packing more than having to buy it.

One question I still have is for the dining dress code. We are eating at a lot of signature restaurants and I just want to make sure we are dressed appropriately. Is it okay for us to wear what we wore to the parks? Are sneakers okay for Narcoosees, Artist Point, etc. or will we want to change first? It will be hard to pack specific dinner attire to suit different weather conditions.

One question I still have is for the dining dress code. We are eating at a lot of signature restaurants and I just want to make sure we are dressed appropriately. Is it okay for us to wear what we wore to the parks? Are sneakers okay for Narcoosees, Artist Point, etc. or will we want to change first? It will be hard to pack specific dinner attire to suit different weather conditions.

It really varies depending on where your talking about. signature isn't really enough to say you need to be dressed. Somewhere like Narcoosees I'd probably take the time to freshen up. If my dinner wardorb didn't really fit the weather I'd probably uber and hid in the lobby until it arrived to be outside as minimal as possible and just go for it. If it's a higher end establishment in springs, i'd still freshen up but I'd go with something I know would be under dressed but I would be comfortable getting around springs and to the place as that is not as simple as walk fast from the uber to the resort entrance. I've done black sneakers and black jeans at some signatures with a buttoned shirt and not been turned away. It's more going to come down to what are you comfortable wearing. If your in your family matching shorts and shirts, that might be an issue. Somewhere inbetween that and formal and your probably fine.

It really varies depending on where your talking about. signature isn't really enough to say you need to be dressed. Somewhere like Narcoosees I'd probably take the time to freshen up. If my dinner wardorb didn't really fit the weather I'd probably uber and hid in the lobby until it arrived to be outside as minimal as possible and just go for it. If it's a higher end establishment in springs, i'd still freshen up but I'd go with something I know would be under dressed but I would be comfortable getting around springs and to the place as that is not as simple as walk fast from the uber to the resort entrance. I've done black sneakers and black jeans at some signatures with a buttoned shirt and not been turned away. It's more going to come down to what are you comfortable wearing. If your in your family matching shorts and shirts, that might be an issue. Somewhere inbetween that and formal and your probably fine.

We have triplet boys that often either coordinate or sometimes match (just the boys, though, not us). We have reservations the day we arrive at Narcoosees and we planned to dress up. My 7 year old sons love to put on dress shirts and ties like Dad. (Fingers crossed their behavior matches their attire). The only thing that might affect this reservation is if we can't check into our room into to freshen up and change before our 5:00 res. We are staying st the Polynesian so will be close enough otherwise. The rest of our signatures are: Artist Point, Cali Grille, Hollywood Brown Derby and Cinderella's Royal Table. Are collared shirts and khakis acceptable for these? A little concerned we might have to have them in a more casual fleece jackets, depending on the weather.

Last edited:

We have triplet boys that often either coordinate or sometimes match (just the boys, though, not us). We have reservations the day we arrive at Narcoosees and we planned to dress up. My 7 year old sons love to put on dress shirts and ties like Dad. (Fingers crossed their behavior matches their attire). The only thing that might affect this reservation is if we can't check into our room into to freshen up and change before our 5:00 res. We are staying st the Polynesian so will be close enough otherwise. The rest of our signatures are: Artist Point, Cali Grille, Hollywood Brown Derby and Cinderella's Royal Table. Are collared shirts and khakis acceptable for these? A little concerned we might have to have them in a more casual fleece jackets, depending on the weather.

The ones in the parks are simple, just show up in your park attire. you'll find peopel in all different attire, it really comes down to how you want to present yourself or if you'll feel comfortable. Cali is the one that sticks out as show up dressed for dinner, not in park attire. Artist point can feel like you are under dressed so I personally would not do it in shorts and a tshirt but wouldn't go dressed for dinner either. somewhere in the middle where I'm comfortable for a nicer place to have a meal.

The ones in the parks are simple, just show up in your park attire. you'll find peopel in all different attire, it really comes down to how you want to present yourself or if you'll feel comfortable. Cali is the one that sticks out as show up dressed for dinner, not in park attire. Artist point can feel like you are under dressed so I personally would not do it in shorts and a tshirt but wouldn't go dressed for dinner either. somewhere in the middle where I'm comfortable for a nicer place to have a meal.

So, we should plan for dressy our first night (Narcoosees), dressy our last night (California Grille), and in the middle for Artist Point? Thanks so much! You have been very helpful!

I will be there the same week! Disclaimer: I am always cold. I wear a bathrobe in my house in the middle of summer. This past January I had to wear my winter jacket for a good portion of the trip, but I have also seen temps in the low 80's. My plan this trip is to again wear my winter jacket and biker boots for the flight, pack a lighter weight jacket, some tees and some long sleeves, yogas, jeans and flip flops. I don't dare put on shorts unless the temperature won't dip below 85, which doesn't happen in Jan with the cold mornings and nights.

Yes, January has quite a difference of temperatures. Cool in the morning to warm in the afternoon. After all the walking around I tend to warm up a bit too, so I dont take a heavy jacket but something I can take off and stuff into my backpack. Late afternoons will get cool again, so you will be happy to have it available for reuse.

I'll be there too-January 5-13! Praying for warm weather. Not hot, just warm. With lows in the 50s/60s at night. Can I put in a request? LOL

We have visited often in Jan and Feb for race weekends, the temperature varies SO much, one morning (granted it was 4am-8am) my dear friend that was there to support me had to wear a winter parka coat, hat and gloves by that afternoon we were in shorts and tee shirts!

Newbie here! Is there a local weather station y'all recommend to check the weather for temps before we go? Meaning, a forecaster who is usually right?
Unfortunately, Florida's weather can be pretty unpredictable, and eventually the local forecasts are often wrong. Most locals in Orlando will advise you not to trust the forecasts, especially long-range ones.

Best to bring a little bit of everything, including long pants, hats, gloves, swimsuit, shorts -- everything! I once went on a WDW trip in early October, and had brought mostly shorts, sleeveless tops, and sandals based on the forecast. It was in the low 90s at the start of the trip, but a week later it had dropped 30 degrees and it got windy! I was unprepared and really cold. I spent a couple of hours at Epcot looking for warm socks; didn't have a car to go to a store. And I'm too cheap to pay Disney prices for their clothes - $60 for a sweatshirt!! So lesson learned; now I bring a little bit of everything.

I went in Jan 2011, I left Houston it was 70. Arrived in DWD it was 60 the entire week AND it rained two days. I had t-shirts for each park: Disney babies for Epcot, Toy Story for DHS, Simba & Nala for AK and Tiana for MK. Also, navy or black long-sleeves turtleneck underneath with navy or black pants and a hoodie. And extra socks. I even had to sleep in socks which I hate. Just make sure you are comfortable. My 1st trip was in August of 2007 Florida head & humidity is not for a fluffy girls! I rather go in Jan.
:worship:

We went early January 2016- the daytime was pleasant. I wore light long-sleeves tees and jeans, and was pretty comfortable. Nighttime was much colder- my hoodie didn't quite cut it. I ended up purchasing a hat, gloves, and scarf in one of the shops to wear. Bring a warm jacket, especially if you plan on seeing Fantasmic, because it gets really cold being on the water at night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter