What to take with you in the parks? Bag, Fanny Pack, Water Bottles, etc?

We used string backpacks in past...
2 oldest (21, 18) said they have a small bags...(along lines of those)
DH, DM & I have decided to invest in Running buddies--just enough room for phone, sunscreen wipe packet, ID, credit card. Good to go! Especially helpful at Universal.
DD said she might bring water bottle w/ caribeener.
I figure CS offers free ice water for the asking so why carry more than necessary??!!

I originally used a small crossbody bag, now that I've upgraded to a DSLR camera with multiple lenses, I use a small back pack (sometimes a vera bradley one), with the following:
-sunscreen
-wallet w/id, cash, cards, passport
-camera & lenses
-snacks
-portable phone charger
-phone
-water bottle

Just a "fwiw" my daughter, now 19, still mentions and rolls her eyes about the fanny pack that I used to wear to Disney World. If I could go back in time, I would have chosen something else, a little more fashionable, just so I wouldn't need to hear about it/see the roll. I always mention that I had young kids, didn't want to carry a bigger pack, but wanted to make sure that everyone was hydrated and comfortable. I don't think she can help it - the eyes just roll. Just about the fanny pack.

Just a "fwiw" my daughter, now 19, still mentions and rolls her eyes about the fanny pack that I used to wear to Disney World. If I could go back in time, I would have chosen something else, a little more fashionable, just so I wouldn't need to hear about it/see the roll. I always mention that I had young kids, didn't want to carry a bigger pack, but wanted to make sure that everyone was hydrated and comfortable. I don't think she can help it - the eyes just roll. Just about the fanny pack.
That's hilarious! My kids are all excited about getting their OWN waist pack with their own supplies in it (sunglasses, gift card, poncho, bug spray, sunscreen, lip balm).

That's hilarious! My kids are all excited about getting their OWN waist pack with their own supplies in it (sunglasses, gift card, poncho, bug spray, sunscreen, lip balm).
I know. Payback will come when she heads to a park with her own crew, and sports her own pack - I'm taking photos. Make sure you get your kids to hold up signs like: "I'm an official Disney Survivor! (or something like that)" and take photos. Whip them out when you get an eye roll years from now. Even if they don't look, you will. :D

I use a backpack I got in the All-Star Movies gift shop a while ago. It's not too big and has a zippered pouch on it where I stow my camera. Inside, I pack:

Homemade First Aid Kit with bandaids, extra moleskin, bandages and tape.

Clear Ziplock baggies for various things, like a wet rain poncho or my Britta water bottle. (Britta is great BTW. You can fill them at water fountains and sinks and the charcoal insert completely takes away the funky Florida water taste and smell.)
Chapstick
Ibuprofen
Money
Poncho
Altoid Mints
Gum
Tums
Eyeglass repair kit. You never know. And an old pair of glasses in a case. I switch them out with my good glasses on rides like Big Thunder where I might lose them. I'll lose the old ones. (This year I'm getting one of those things that holds glasses on at the back of your head. Don't care what I look like in it, never going to see these people again.)

I don't carry a phone. My sister uses hers, and to add to everything I've listed she has a portable charger for her bag.

It sounds like a lot of crap to lug around, but it's very easy and for the most part very lightweight stuff so my back isn't screaming at night any more that usual.

While not necessarily a bag question, do you have to go through the bag security check line if you pack your stuff loose in the bottom of a stroller or can you go through the bag-free one?

My DS didn't have any bag or pack last trip and had to walk through the metal detector.
This last fall trip, Security was randomly picking people to go through, he was picked every time,
I always volunteered to go through. I wonder if one day everyone will have to go through this metal detector?
I've been getting away with wearing a very small crossover bag, doesn't fit much, Id, Credit card, Emergency poncho, cell phone, reading glasses.

I thought I'd update y'all on the security we encountered during our latest DCL/WDW adventure. My EDC for the trip has been my wallet, Space pen (more on that in a minute), a Nitecore Thumb and a SAK Rambler.

Disney Cruise Lines: As you enter the terminal, your bag is checked and x-ray'd and you'll walk through a metal detector. The bag check looked in all compartments and felt the outside of the bag. I had placed the Rambler in the small,pouch I carry my charging cords and it went both with no issues. Same thing for Castaway Cay. We didn't make it to Nassau as our ship, along with every other ship in the vicinity was clawed to assist in the search for a person overboard from another cruise ship (later identified as Carnival). Nice day at sea, but somewhere along the line I lost my pen! This will make 3 I've had and lost...I'm beginning to think I'm not supposed to have one! One big thing I learned: bring your own cup! Lots of folks were using their Yetis, Rtics or other insulated tumblers. The all day (free) soda/coffee station was all the way aft, so it saved some steps.

At WDW security varied between parks and days (we were in the parks over seven days) and in my pack I carried a windbreaker, first aid kit (within LOTS of Tylenol!), sunscreen, umbrella, portable charger, cords, and a water bottle

Magic Kingdom - visual bag check, random metal detector. Heavy uniformed presence in front and in the park in the morning, but by afternoon the uniforms inside were mostly gone. Two WDW K9's working the front.
EPCOT - bag check, saw them opening bigger pouches found inside packs and strollers, random metal detector check. Noted almost no uniforms inside the park, and those I saw seemed to be going somewhere. One K9.
Animal Kingdom - every bag checked, everyone gets a metal detector. I never saw anyone get wanded, but they were ready. Not as many uniforms around and no K9s seen.
Hollywood Studios - lots of uniforms out front, standard bag check and random metal detector. No uniforms seen inside.

All in all I felt safe once inside the parks. Outside there are too many variables, but there were a lot of Orange Co. Sheriffs deputies about everywhere, so they had that covered. We'll see if any changes occur when we come back in a month.

Edit: When we entered through the ticketing center this morning very bag was checked and everyone went through the metal detector.

I have used a backpack since I was younger but this trip I will probably be using a tactical-style sling bag with some attachments like a first aid kit because my party has 3 disabled people and 2 service dogs. I always freeze one water bottle and bring another refrigerated one. The frozen one melts throughout the day and it weighs a little more but it keeps other stuff cold too (plus you can put it on the back of your neck). I always have a small spray sunscreen and snacks that won't get gross like granola bars and nuts, plus an external power source for my phone. I take a lot of pictures!

We usually use a backpack. I found it's a lot easier for us than my crossbody purse. Plus we only need to bring the one bag between us and switch off carrying it. Never had any trouble on rides. Pack always fits in pouch in front of you or on the floor in front us and I wrap my leg through the straps.

DW is one of the easiest places I've ever seen to carry a bag on rides- I've seen people stow enormous backpacks around their feet when riding Rock N Rollercoaster.
Personally, we carry little more than phone and maybe wallet since we use dining plan and can charge to magic bands. It helps us get into the parks faster/with less hassle. If we need aspirin or a bandaid or something, we'll stop at first aid. If we buy souvenirs, we get them sent to the hotel or the front gate.
The one thing I recommend carrying no matter what is a ziploc baggie to keep your phone in so you don't have to worry about water rides.
Generally I don't even carry my phone- We just use my husban'd phone for photos or contacting others in the traveling group since mens clothes have pockets and he'd be able to go through the no-bag line at the park entrance whereas I would probably have to use the bag line if I carried my phone in a hip pouch (seriously why do women's clothes not have pockets or have such small pockets?)

DW is one of the easiest places I've ever seen to carry a bag on rides- I've seen people stow enormous backpacks around their feet when riding Rock N Rollercoaster.
Personally, we carry little more than phone and maybe wallet since we use dining plan and can charge to magic bands. It helps us get into the parks faster/with less hassle. If we need aspirin or a bandaid or something, we'll stop at first aid. If we buy souvenirs, we get them sent to the hotel or the front gate.
The one thing I recommend carrying no matter what is a ziploc baggie to keep your phone in so you don't have to worry about water rides.
Generally I don't even carry my phone- We just use my husban'd phone for photos or contacting others in the traveling group since mens clothes have pockets and he'd be able to go through the no-bag line at the park entrance whereas I would probably have to use the bag line if I carried my phone in a hip pouch (seriously why do women's clothes not have pockets or have such small pockets?)

While I bring a ton to Disney (I have a 4 year old... and I have yet to learn how to travel light with her) anyway I'd love to see Disney offer a small/no bag line to address those that have tiney bags that really amount to the same space as cargo pants.

I think it would go a long way to the resentment some feel toward those of us who are "heavy campers" and yes I get it because when I travel for work and I'm packed in a carry on and trying to get through airport security when I get a traveler in front of me who clearly doesn't travel often it can get frustrating... especially if they start to hold up the line...

Small cross body type. Black WDW park bag I got for one of the yearly celebrations. It is my only WDW park bag. Stays packed between trips.

Business card holder - holds ID, credit cards and insurance card
1 black sharpie
1 pen
1 autograph book that I use as a journal. Holds my postcards and stamps stash
1 small bottle of hand sanitizer
1 package travel size tissue
Phone charger. I have a bank but have never used it on a trip.
4-6 ziplock bags; sandwich, quart and gallon
Quarters and pennies
Small tin of mints
Candy
Ibuprofen

If it doesn't fit into my pockets, it stays in the room or the car. Wallet, phone, keys, ticket, that's about it. I used to take a sandwich bag to put my phone in on Kali River Rapids and Splash Mountain, but my new phone is the Samsung Galaxy S7 Active, so I don't need that anymore. I never have to worry about the endless bag check line. I have never felt that I needed anything else. I think acting like a pack mule would take away from my enjoyment of the parks.

Barely anything...but our kids are teens/young adults.
Everyone has a Running Buddy with ID, credit card, phone with charging case, sunscreen packet. I will toss in a couple bandaids too.
Chapstick in one pocket, small pill bottle in another.

Barely anything...but our kids are teens/young adults.
Everyone has a Running Buddy with ID, credit card, phone with charging case, sunscreen packet. I will toss in a couple bandaids too.
Chapstick in one pocket, small pill bottle in another.

The sunscreen packets just don't seem like enough for the multiple reapplications needed throughout the day nor even enough for one full application... granted I have a 4 year old so it doesn't really matter but I like to cut weight where I can and bringing only the amount of sunscreen I need for us for one day would be perfect.

So my questions include:

what brand do you use?
Do you find one packet enough for one full application all over (think may trip so shorts)?
does your family burn easily?

I'm thinking part of my hesitation on this is that I will turn beat red in a second practically and basically with Disney being my first real outdoors activity for the summer I won't have a base tan yet... but the lure of one less bottle is enticing...

We will apply in AM in room; this is for mid-day application.
We find that you are indoors/under shade so often it really isn't an issue.
We did Disney in late Oct & early Sept for a week each & never had any issues with burning.
I will have to check the brand at home--I bought a box of 100 for maybe $65 on Amazon. (6 people for 10 days)

I usually bring a backpack or small cross body purse with me. I carry my phone and charger, sunglasses, a small bottle of sunscreen, hand wipes or hand sanitizer, chap stick, a pen, tissues and some small bags of snacks like my favorite type of chips, pretzels or a granola bar.

I also bring a poncho if it rains and a pair of extra clothing with me and a towel to dry off with if I think we'll be going on any water rides. If you have a camera you can bring that too, if you would like! I personally just use my phone to take pictures with. :)

I want to attempt to go bagless so that we can go thru the no-bag line. What is the maximum not considered a "bag"?

Can I wear a lanyard with a see-through pouch in no-bag entrance? Like for my phone and cash/credit cards? Can my daughter carry a stuffed animal? Can I carry a little tissue-pack sized poncho pack on a clip on my pants?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter