What would you do?

jacs1234

Dreaming of Disney
Overview 6 people. Wdw in November December. Split stay. 8 nights wdw 4 nights universa/ksc 6 nights wdw again

First 8 nights. Would you choose

8 nights at art of animation for $2700 with chances of ap discounts.

Or

8 nights animal kingdom 2 bedroom villa $3127 with renting Dvc points

Tough pick, Jacs.

For an extra $400, it would be Animal Kingdom for me. Although if a discount came out, the whole equation would flip.

Who are you renting from?

If it's from one of the 'known' 3rd parties, it should be fine.

The villa would be a nice option, given the price difference isn't a great deal, but like someone else mentioned if a special came up for the Art of Animation and it widened the gap I would reconsider. As long as you rent from a reliable source like David's DVC Rentals for example it is safe, and I would do it if I needed extra points myself.

Overview 6 people. Wdw in November December. Split stay. 8 nights wdw 4 nights universa/ksc 6 nights wdw again

Or

I'm just totally jealous of what sounds like an amazing holiday. Where are you thinking of staying for the second WDW stay?

I don't know yet montanabel. I still have lots of researching to do. I really like the look and disneyishness of the art of animation resort. I think I've decided to stay there for the first half and then rent points and stay in a nicer place for the last 6 days. Kinda spoil ourselves at the end. I've always wanted to stY at the animal kingdom but maybe it would be good to stay on the monorail line somewhere. Does it make a difference if you stay at a resort with the monorail?

ColinA the price for animal kingdom was with $14 per point. Seems they range from 11 - 14. Then again I could have worked it out all wrong. I just looked at a chart somewhere. Linked from dis. I'll need your help if I do it that way :)

I don't know yet montanabel. I still have lots of researching to do. I really like the look and disneyishness of the art of animation resort. I think I've decided to stay there for the first half and then rent points and stay in a nicer place for the last 6 days. Kinda spoil ourselves at the end. I've always wanted to stY at the animal kingdom but maybe it would be good to stay on the monorail line somewhere. Does it make a difference if you stay at a resort with the monorail?

Hi Jacs1234,

We stayed at Art of Animation in October (Little Mermaid Room and then Cars Suite) and loved it for exactly the same reason, the disneyishness :) But I can see why you would also be considering the Animal Kingdom's villa, in the photos it looks amazing. Your plan sounds like you will get the best of both worlds.

I haven't had the chance to stay at a resort on one of the monorail lines. During our last visit to DW I did spend a morning having a sticky beak at the resorts on the 'Magic Kingdom' monorail line and must admit it didn't take me long at all to get from one resort to the next - the monorail seemed to come along quite frequently. Perhaps other people here on the Disboards who have actually stayed at a resort on this or the EPCOT line will be able to give you better advice (I hear good things about the Beach Club).

In saying that, it didn't take long to get to any of the parks from Art of Animation with its dedicated bus service. You just had to wait a few minutes for the bus to arrive and then it was straight off to the parks - unlike some of the other resorts that share bus services.

So Montanabel, you found it quite easy to get to the parks? It sounds a little complicated to me because I'm used to disneyland and just walking a few hundred metres to the gates :
) What about park hopping? Is it easy to do? Is it worth doing or should I dedicate whole days to one single park?

So Montanabel, you found it quite easy to get to the parks? It sounds a little complicated to me because I'm used to disneyland and just walking a few hundred metres to the gates :
) What about park hopping? Is it easy to do? Is it worth doing or should I dedicate whole days to one single park?

To park hop or not comes down to how you and your family like to tour.

Orlando is very different to Anaheim in that it is more hot and humid. Having said that, Nov/Dec should be fine. For us, we tend to hit the parks early and then head back to the resort to rest up and enjoy the pool/resort. Then we hit the parks again later. I do get park hopper tickets only because it gives us options. Park hopping allows us to book dining at table service restaurants without having to lock that full day in at a particular park.

It isn't complicated to park hop. You need to allow about 30 - 60 minutes to hop between parks if you are using Disney transport. It does take about 15 - 20 minutes to get between parks once you are on the transport but you need to factor in the waiting time.

Just remember that if you don't get the park hopper option now, you can always upgrade when you get there. You will have to pay the full difference irrespective of whether you are upgrading on Day 1 of your visit or the last day of your visit.

I would have to agree with everything that Princess in Oz said, it will really come down to how your family likes to tour. As you are very familiar with Disneyland, I would image the idea of NOT park hopping would seem very strange. :) But the parks in DW are bigger and more spaced out so park hopping isn't necessary, you can easily spend a day at each of the parks without the 'need' to jump over to another. However, as Princess in Oz did point out, it can limit any table service dinning plans. If you plan on making any dinning reservations, you will need to make sure you also book your fastpass+ for the same park on that same day.

Personally when we visit DW I don't purchase the park hopping option, but only because I am on a budget and I am looking to save a few dollars :) I am certainly not put off park hopping at DW, but as Princess in Oz mentioned, you just need to allow time to get from one park to the next. Not sure if you are aware, but the Disney buses only go from resort to theme park/Downtown Disney, not theme park to theme park (ie you can catch a bus from Art of Animation to any of the theme parks but once at that theme park, you will have to catch a bus to a resort and then transfer there to a bus to a theme park - that's that bit can take time).

I would have to agree with everything that Princess in Oz said, it will really come down to how your family likes to tour. As you are very familiar with Disneyland, I would image the idea of NOT park hopping would seem very strange. :) But the parks in DW are bigger and more spaced out so park hopping isn't necessary, you can easily spend a day at each of the parks without the 'need' to jump over to another. However, as Princess in Oz did point out, it can limit any table service dinning plans. If you plan on making any dinning reservations, you will need to make sure you also book your fastpass+ for the same park on that same day.

Personally when we visit DW I don't purchase the park hopping option, but only because I am on a budget and I am looking to save a few dollars :) I am certainly not put off park hopping at DW, but as Princess in Oz mentioned, you just need to allow time to get from one park to the next. Not sure if you are aware, but the Disney buses only go from resort to theme park/Downtown Disney, not theme park to theme park (ie you can catch a bus from Art of Animation to any of the theme parks but once at that theme park, you will have to catch a bus to a resort and then transfer there to a bus to a theme park - that's that bit can take time).

There are buses running park to park.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/transportation/public-complimentary-transportation/

I cannot remember if the buses from MK are located at the park gate (towards the Contemporary Resort) or if they are located at the Transport and Ticket Centre. If they are at the TTC, you need to catch the monorail or ferry there and transfer to the bus.
The alternative to this at MK is to walk to the Contemporary Resort and catch the resort to park buses from there. In most instances, it is easier to catch the monorail to the TTC and take the appropriate transport from there.

Otherwise, all the other parks will run direct bus services to the other parks. And yes, it is possible to do all 4 parks in the one day.

Disney Transport will not run buses direct from Downtown Disney to the parks. They will run buses to the resorts only from DTD.

Not sure if you are aware, but the Disney buses only go from resort to theme park/Downtown Disney, not theme park to theme park (ie you can catch a bus from Art of Animation to any of the theme parks but once at that theme park, you will have to catch a bus to a resort and then transfer there to a bus to a theme park - that's that bit can take time).

Buses go from Park to Park. From Magic Kingdom they go from the bus station outside. Not from the TTC.

From MK to Epcot you can also catch two monorails, or boat and then monorail.

From Epcot to DHS you can also catch the Friendship boats through the Epcot Resort area. This will have three stops at the resorts. It is actually quicker to walk going through the Boardwalk near the village green. The boat or pathway from Epcot is from the International Gateway. The IG is between the English and French pavilions.

Buses go from Park to Park. From Magic Kingdom they go from the bus station outside. Not from the TTC.

From MK to Epcot you can also catch two monorails, or boat and then monorail.

From Epcot to DHS you can also catch the Friendship boats through the Epcot Resort area. This will have three stops at the resorts. It is actualy quicker to walk going through the Boardwalk near the village green. The boat or pathway from Epcot is from the International Gateway. The IG is between the English and French pavilions.

Thanks for clarifyng ColinA

now my brain is kerfuffled. lol I will study all this and get to know it like the back of my hand before we get there.

Just to confuse you more!

I could suggest with you planning 8 nights and then another 6 nights at WDW you look at the annual pass. The AP gives you the freedom to park hop. The AP would normally give you a 10% discount on merchandise, some sit down dinings will give you a discount. You might only need one person with the AP for the above.

With at least one person having the AP and if you plan on a few ADR's you would be able to get the TIW card. The TIW card will get you a 20% discount on most sit down dining for up to 10 people. The TIW card will cost $100.00

Depending on what you plan as far as park days I would compare the costs to maybe a 7 day and then a further 5 day ticket.

Or

Hi Jacs,
Just wondering why your doing a split stay I'm sure you have a reason lol but tickets wise you would be better off to do it all at once.

Have you looked at the dates FD was for the last few years and your dates to see if it's similar?
I've stayed at both AOA in a family suite and AK although we only had a studio at AOA and I'd say with your kids ages they would probably love the theming of AOA it is really well done and you do have a fridge and microwave in the family suites also because it's your first trip you probably won't be in your room very much so I'd save the money and pick AOA. There's plenty of space.

Yes, cheaper to get an annual pass, especially if we want hoppers. We're splitting our stay because we love disney so much that we want to start our holiday with disney and end it with disney. To start or end our trip with anything else just wouldn't be right lol we also think that 8 days at first and then a break for 4 or 5 days will do the kids some good just in case they get "over disneyed".l

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter