What'cha bet HP will end the Uni/Dis factions

Spidey7

<font color=purple>Drinking without smoking is lik
Talking about this on another thread I think alot of us are kind of taken back by some that think that Dis is the only park and that people that like Uni are kinda the people on the wrong side of the tracks or something?:confused3 Dunno always thought that was strange.

But what do you want to bet that when Harry Potter takes off at IOA that that will lure the remaining Dis skeptics to Uni and they will be officially hooked from then on, ending this weird factional thing once and for all.

I'm sure there will still remain a fringe crowd that may still refuse to go to Uni, but I'm guessing HP will make it virtually non-existent after that. What do you think?

God I hope not. I love the fact that there are disney people and Universal people. I know its too much to ask that my beloved IOA stay the calm funhouse that it is......
Besides, do we really need all these disney moms turning into universal moms and planning for a week in Universal that will happen in two years? :goodvibes

the fact that Disney was bidding on the rights to the Harry Potter franchise cemented my opinion that Disney has lost its way and its originality. we'll keep our AP's but not because of the Pixar-ized version of what they're doing to the parks.

even if it draws them to IOA for one day, it's great for Universal. it's going to force some families to leave WDW, and force Disney to compete.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but I expect this new addition will be mind-blowing.

There will always be ignorant, stubborn "Disney freaks." Nothing will change that (except for maybe extensive counseling.) Likewise, their annoying demeanor will always attract us (the Universal folk) to the front lines with the big guns in hand.

Even if WWoHP is mind blowing, there will be those who will find the need to compare it to Disney and of course, it will fall short.

I think this 'division' is mostly in some people's heads. Sure, there are die-hards for both parks who consider going to the other side heresy, but I think most reasonable people can enjoy both. I know my family and I certainly do. We've been to WDW and USO, and loved both, and will be back to both. All this bickering between these alleged 'factions' is just petty and childish. This isn't a sporting event - they can BOTH be winners.

All I know is, that as soon as HP at Universal was announced, a LOT of people on the Disney side of these boards who had never felt like venturing to "the other side" started to plan a 2009 vacation.

I was in total shock actually that this one event suddenly changed everyone's mind.

I think they will be equally shocked once they see in person how nicely themed the rest of IOA is.

All I know is, that as soon as HP at Universal was announced, a LOT of people on the Disney side of these boards who had never felt like venturing to "the other side" started to plan a 2009 vacation.

I was in total shock actually that this one event suddenly changed everyone's mind.

I think they will be equally shocked once they see in person how nicely themed the rest of IOA is.

And we will tell those who embrace it Welcome to the Dark Side!:wave:
But, you know that there will still be those who will always think that there's nothing that comes remotely close to Disney. Even though we (on this board) all know better!Oh, and we must not forget those who think that we are all a bunch of drunk scantily clad tattooed people!

And we will tell those who embrace it Welcome to the Dark Side!:wave:
But, you know that there will still be those who will always think that there's nothing that comes remotely close to Disney. Even though we (on this board) all know better!Oh, and we must not forget those who think that we are all a bunch of drunk scantily clad tattooed people!

Hey at least we don't get tasered!

(sorry, its just too funny not to add)

jmho - i do think that one of the untold reasons that HP 'slipped thru Disney's hands during the bidding process' was their reluctance to offend some of their target/hardcore audience:idea: . JK Rowlings wasn't thrilled w/the prospect of her creation possibly being "disney-fied" to appeal to the masses. The books become increasingly dark in scope as they progress.

Specifically, many religious right/moral majority followers (whatever term is PC) do not embrace HP...no doubt U is now off their must-do list when visiting MCO.

Based solely upon my personal experience in working with children in different settings (PTA, sports, scouts & church) since HP has made the scene --- there is a very large contingent out there who absolutely forbid their children to be exposed Harry & what they consider to be a satanical/witchcraft influence.:confused3 Quite a hub-bub, on several district's banned book lists:sad2:

I don't get the fuss, however; parental rights & all that stuff, long as my personal liberties are protected & U does a bang up job bringing Hogwarts to life it's all good.

jmho - i do think that one of the untold reasons that HP 'slipped thru Disney's hands during the bidding process' was their reluctance to offend some of their target/hardcore audience:idea: . JK Rowlings wasn't thrilled w/the prospect of her creation possibly being "disney-fied" to appeal to the masses. The books become increasingly dark in scope as they progress.

Specifically, many religious right/moral majority followers (whatever term is PC) do not embrace HP...no doubt U is now off their must-do list when visiting MCO.

Based solely upon my personal experience in working with children in different settings (PTA, sports, scouts & church) since HP has made the scene --- there is a very large contingent out there who absolutely forbid their children to be exposed Harry & what they consider to be a satanical/witchcraft influence.:confused3 Quite a hub-bub, on several district's banned book lists:sad2:

I don't get the fuss, however; parental rights & all that stuff, long as my personal liberties are protected & U does a bang up job bringing Hogwarts to life it's all good.

I'd disagree with you if I could.

we're going to have as many kids running around IOA with those little circle glasses on and waving their magic wands as those with Thing 1 and 2 shirts.

that's Disney's loss, not ours.

I'd disagree with you if I could.

we're going to have as many kids running around IOA with those little circle glasses on and waving their magic wands as those with Thing 1 and 2 shirts.

that's Disney's loss, not ours.

:laughing: U better lawyer up on the souvie offerings...

unless they issue "safety" circle glasses with those sharp, pointy wands.:goodvibes

the fact that Disney was bidding on the rights to the Harry Potter franchise cemented my opinion that Disney has lost its way and its originality. we'll keep our AP's but not because of the Pixar-ized version of what they're doing to the parks.

even if it draws them to IOA for one day, it's great for Universal. it's going to force some families to leave WDW, and force Disney to compete.
Well...I think with the Disney/Pixar marriage those will be the only new attractions at Disney for a while...all Pixar related. I heard they were working on a "The Incredibles" themed ride with the robotic arm technology but now they will have to scrap that idea since Universal has the 10 year exclusive to that technology.

Sorry - OT - Does anyone know when in 2009 is Universal hoping to have the Harry Potter land opened? I am hoping to buy the $86 tickets and use them then since they don't expire. I can buy the $86 tickets now and use them in 2009 or in 2010 right??????

Thank you

Well...I think with the Disney/Pixar marriage those will be the only new attractions at Disney for a while...all Pixar related. I heard they were working on a "The Incredibles" themed ride with the robotic arm technology but now they will have to scrap that idea since Universal has the 10 year exclusive to that technology.

even if Disney had secured the rights to Harry Potter, Stitch and Jack Sparrow would show up in the attractions. people complain there's not much new at Universal.

I 'll take Universal's classics over PixarWorld at this point. Exedition Everest is quality, but WDW has had more misses than hits the last few years.

The Christian Coalition still has a boycott against disney because of their view on gay rights and activities (they welcome all money, straight or gay) yet that does not stop them from going to Night of Joy every September.
JK Rowling wanted a lot of money. Money on everything from the ride concepts to merchandising, and licensing rights. She wanted a lot of money, and disney...though they spend money, did not want to give that much control of financial earnings to disney. There were also specifics that she wanted that disney did not want to do. Its my understanding that she wanted a whole Harry Potter theme park. Disney would not budge....they wanted to stick Harry Potter in MGM and leave him there as a stand alone attraction. Universal could not build a whole park, but instead expanded a section and let her have it. Thats why you have the whole "theme park within a theme park" talk. It was part of the selling points for it.
It had nothing to do with moral majority, or selling out, or disneyfying. She just wanted Harry to make the biggest impact in the biggest way, and disney...well its mickey's way or the highway.

And as far as this rivalry being in peoples heads. There are people right now on this very part of the forum who are planning a trip to Universal because of Harry Potter........who have admittedly said they wouldnt do so otherwise. That shows me that people do get a little stand offish towards a favorite park. When you have grown people saying they dont feel "magic" at a theme park...something that was constructed of stone and steel by people.......but they feel it at another...yeah, that says something.
Personally...I dont like disney because of the crowds. I dont feel their rides are worth that wait, though I have been an AP holder at disney for a while. I simply prefer Universal.

Well I hope not too many people come over from Disney- Gotta love the smaller queues than Disney!

And as far as this rivalry being in peoples heads. There are people right now on this very part of the forum who are planning a trip to Universal because of Harry Potter........who have admittedly said they wouldnt do so otherwise. That shows me that people do get a little stand offish towards a favorite park. When you have grown people saying they dont feel "magic" at a theme park...something that was constructed of stone and steel by people.......but they feel it at another...yeah, that says something.Personally...I dont like disney because of the crowds. I dont feel their rides are worth that wait, though I have been an AP holder at disney for a while. I simply prefer Universal.
That is..without a doubt..the one thing that really irks me about the Disney faction..all this talk about "magic". Magic this and magic that..blah blah blah. I've been a passholder at Disney for three years now and go constantly. I can honestly say that I have yet to see anything "magical" happen nor do I feel this sense of "magic" envelop me once I enter the property.

Universal is more to my liking because it's NOT all about pixie dust and fairy tales.

Please no-one flame me!!!

On the note of magic and hapiness and all that.......every year when I go to Florida with my family, we always walk around the park and look for people smiling- and it takes a very long time!! People in Disney look quite miserable.

Please no-one flame me!!!

On the note of magic and hapiness and all that.......every year when I go to Florida with my family, we always walk around the park and look for people smiling- and it takes a very long time!! People in Disney look quite miserable.
No flames from me Gemma...I agree with you. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter