• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whats been happening with VGC points?

New Mouse

DIS Veteran
Im coming up on a situation where my VGC points may be in jeopardy due to the closure. October and November rental and December use year.

Whats been happening out there recently when it comes to point extensions, etc.?

There have been no changes to any of policy extensions that were announced in April..

So, as of today, nothing for Dec UY. However, I’d call because maybe there is something on a case by case basis they are doing for those that own VGC and have points booked there.

Im coming up on a situation where my VGC points may be in jeopardy due to the closure. October and November rental and December use year.

Whats been happening out there recently when it comes to point extensions, etc.?

I am also wondering about this. Also a VGC member with a Dec use year who has a reservation in November. I am hoping they will do something with those points for us too.

I emailed about two weeks ago and got a canned reply recommending RCI. We had a summer reservation and we have banked points that will expire at the end of November. :( Will try calling again this weekend.

I emailed about two weeks ago and got a canned reply recommending RCI. We had a summer reservation and we have banked points that will expire at the end of November. :( Will try calling again this weekend.

I am in the same situation. I had a summer vacation using banked points for VGC. I moved them to my November when things were cancelled for July which freed up current points to bank. I also have a few more non-VGC that I stand to lose as well (cancelled my Sept WDW trip). I keep making reservations or waitlists for September-November in the hopes that I can get those as qualified too.

I just saw this post so I'm not up to date with whats happening to points after a reservation has been cancelled due to covid. Is Disney not extending points that would have expired if that reservation is no longer available ?

I just saw this post so I'm not up to date with whats happening to points after a reservation has been cancelled due to covid. Is Disney not extending points that would have expired if that reservation is no longer available ?

They are only extending for banked 2018 points when all resorts were closed and only until November 30th. And, the extended points don’t appear to even be the members own points. From reports they are developer owned points they are giving to owners to use as allowing additional banking is not really allowed.

Now that most resorts are open, there really is not a reason for any further extensions. Per the POS I have for RIV, if loss of use occurs, then an owner can be given the right to use the points at other resorts once 7 months happens.

Of course, DVC could make further exceptions, but it doesn’t appear they are as I would assume they would have by now.

Well that kind of sucks. I have a bunch of point for a Nov trip that are non bankable now. The problem is that Disney is so tight lipped about their plans that nobody knows what is going on. I am surprised that they have not opened VGC. I don't see anything on the California.gov website that says that timeshares are not allowed to be open. Also on travelcalifornia.com they say that you can travel to California. I mean they opened the DVC in Florida and Hilton Head before with WDW closed. I figured that this was to avoid a lawsuit and massive points problems. With VGC being so small I thought that they were just going to eat the points and make it right for the people that still have reservations. I mean they are completely book solid right now for almost all dates. I guess that I will just ride it out and see what happens. Those VGC reservations are too hard to get for non owners.

Well that kind of sucks. I have a bunch of point for a Nov trip that are non bankable now. The problem is that Disney is so tight lipped about their plans that nobody knows what is going on. I am surprised that they have not opened VGC. I don't see anything on the California.gov website that says that timeshares are not allowed to be open. Also on travelcalifornia.com they say that you can travel to California. I mean they opened the DVC in Florida and Hilton Head before with WDW closed. I figured that this was to avoid a lawsuit and massive points problems. With VGC being so small I thought that they were just going to eat the points and make it right for the people that still have reservations. I mean they are completely book solid right now for almost all dates. I guess that I will just ride it out and see what happens. Those VGC reservations are too hard to get for non owners.

One thing they might do if it is still closed at the time of your trip is allow late banking of 2019 points. They may even do it now if you call to cancel while resort is closed.

It was the points already banked where no exceptions are being made beyond November 30th. I did get points banked late for a canceled trip before Parks opened. It was only 15 points, but once my new UY started, they put them there.

I don't see anything on the California.gov website that says that timeshares are not allowed to be open. Also on travelcalifornia.com they say that you can travel to California. I mean they opened the DVC in Florida and Hilton Head before with WDW closed. I figured that this was to avoid a lawsuit and massive points problems. With VGC being so small I thought that they were just going to eat the points and make it right for the people that still have reservations. I mean they are completely book solid right now for almost all dates. I guess that I will just ride it out and see what happens. Those VGC reservations are too hard to get for non owners.
I just had my VGC reservation for Labor Day weekend cancelled today. I booked my other timeshare, Worldmark Anaheim instead since it is open and my niece picked Downtown Disney eateries as the thing she wanted for her birthday. So yes, timeshares in California are operating. My suspicion is that it might not be feasible to open VGC without GCH financially.

I just had my VGC reservation for Labor Day weekend cancelled today. I booked my other timeshare, Worldmark Anaheim instead since it is open and my niece picked Downtown Disney eateries as the thing she wanted for her birthday. So yes, timeshares in California are operating. My suspicion is that it might not be feasible to open VGC without GCH financially.

Yay for checking out all the Halloween merch at WoD too! Never did I imagine DLR would still be closed when my AP expires next month. 😔 My next VGC stay is in February, and at this point I’m starting to feel a bit nervous about it actually happening. Hopefully everyone affected by the VGC closure will get plenty of grace like the WDW owners have...

I could see them possibly opening up VGC without GCH if they added a check in desk at the VGC portion of the building. is there another entrance that isn’t through GCH? Other than walking out towards the valet?

I do wonder if they will make another special exception for AUL and VGC owners that have AUL and VGC bookings in Nov or if they aren't open yet, will they just tell them to use the points with RCI or at WDW ?

I do wonder if they will make another special exception for AUL and VGC owners that have AUL and VGC bookings in Nov or if they aren't open yet, will they just tell them to use the points with RCI or at WDW ?

While we don’t know for sure, my guess is that for November reservations with points expiring by Dec 1st..maybe.

They may also allow some late banking.

FYI I reached out via email and DVC is not even willing to field the question via email or chat. The customer service has fallen off a cliff at Disney.

FYI I reached out via email and DVC is not even willing to field the question via email or chat. The customer service has fallen off a cliff at Disney.

They are not talking because they don't have an idea yet if/what they will do to yet again make more exceptions to the rules for people.

If they said nope sorry you are out of luck points expire check back later, then what would your comments be on here?

If you want to be frustrated you can be but remember we are talking about well over 1/2 of all points for 2020 being impacted for VGC now. I know I would be frustrated.

If you have a booking between now and the end of the year with bankable points I would be taking that option unless you want to roll the dice. I would not let my banking date pass without banking unless I basically know for sure that its opening or that I am fine going to WDW if VGC is not open.

I, too, am getting very frustrated with the lack of information on opening, when it seems as if there is nothing preventing them from opening VCG. I need to go back and read my contract, but my understanding from pervious discussions when the WDW resorts were closed is that they have a duty to open the timeshare if there is nothing preventing them from opening. The fact that other timeshares in Anaheim are open is pretty dispositive. I wonder if they think that because it's such a small timeshare there isn't a huge risk of a lawsuit? I remember the long thread during the WDW shutdown on the lawsuit topic. (Full disclosure: former attorney here).
I've had two July VGC reservations cancelled so far. I have another in mid-October. This is getting very frustrating. I'd be happy to do a resort only stay at this point with the pools and/or Downtown Disney. I just want to use my points!
I'm assuming they are still foregoing the holding rules for reservations that are cancelled by Disney? I don't need to bank my points until January, but I don't want to have them go in holding.

I had a canceled reservation in July with AUG 19 banked points. They gave us until end of NOV to use them. Thinking that DLR wouldn't be open this year we canceled our reservation and just made a WDW trip instead, It was not easy to find availability but we managed to get a 10 day trip out of 3 split stays. I cant imagine that if you aren't able to stay at WDW and obviously cant go to Aulani that they could justify taking your Dues money this year seeing how its been closed for what might be the entire year. I really hope that this is addressed for us members at Aulani and VGC. WE took this opportunity to buy a resale at BR and are hoping that it closes and get points before our last reservations starts in DEC so we can transfer points and reclaim our VGC points from 2020. The whole situation is a mess and communication on what to EXPECT is lacking. by now they should be able to give us an idea of what will happen should the closures extend 3, 6, 12 months from now. it think thats what people really want.

This does sound like a purely financial reason with Disney. Sounds illegal as well. I too think they are betting that no one will call them out with a lawsuit since there are fewer owners?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter