What's so good about HoJo's/your fave Anaheim hotel?

5ofus

DIS Veteran
I know that a lot of Aussies stay at and love HoJo's and was wondering why? I've never stayed there and it's a consideration for us in September, so would like to know what makes it so loved. Looking at the temps they had this September I'm thinking my boys will LOVE the pool area.

We're on a tight budget and will have three boys aged 2, 4 and 6 when we go, so we were considering some of the cheap hotels right near the lights there on Harbour Blvd so that the walk back will be as short as possible. Tell me what your choice is for DL and why? Did you get a bargain? How?

Just back. We got a Retro rate from the Entertainment Book. $89 + tax for a Disney view room to see fireworks, however, no fireworks when we stayed! The cheapest room was $59 with the Retro rate.

Alot of Aussies staying/checking in. They state a 7 mins walk to Disney which is about right for adults. Clean, spacious, friendly staff, laundry, microwave, fridge and coffee maker in room. There is a basin in the bathroom and in the room which is handy.

Have stayed there 5 times now. If you have not already, subscribe to the mousesaver newsletter and they have a link for discounted rate. :)

Thanks Kangarucci! How do you get the retro rate? Is that through Mousesavers? I signed up to the HoJo email months ago, but have only had one email from them.

We haven't actually stayed there yet, but will be in two weeks!

What I love so far is the most amazing customer service that I have ever received, so far I have called them about quite a few things and they have been so helpful.

I just called them a couple of days ago about switching our reservation from a premium room to two of the newly renovated doubles and they did it without a problem while still honouring the Retro Rate, as we had booked all but one day with that, I just love them :)

The awesome Retro Rate isn't the same anymore, but I think you just have to hope for an email with the Super Family Rate now, we also have only had 1 email so I'm not sure that it will be as easy to get the fantastic discount next time :(

We stayed at HoJos for 3 nights a few weeks ago in a fireworks view premium room. Got to watch the twices while there.

The beds are comfortable, not a lot of noise, reception staff helpful and friendly, the onsite store was handy.

Candy Cane Inn - we stayed here for 8 nights - loved it!! Beds and pillows were great, free wifi, continental breakfast included, shuttle bus, smaller than Hojos, reception staff excellent especially James.

I preferred Candy Cane over HoJos mainly for the overall feeling for the place. :confused3: It just clicked with me :thumbsup2

We have stayed at Hojos twice. The water playground is great for child aged under 8. The hotel is not flash, but it is clean and tidy.

We stayed at Fairfield Inn across from DL, and we had no problems.
The rate per night was good, the pool was clean, housekeeping was good, I can't fault it.
We booked on webjet for a good rate.
We could see the fireworks from the balcony as well.

We have spent a great deal of time at the Ho Jo..............21 nights in December 2010 and we are about to spend another 16 nights there from next week!!!:cool1:

Fantastic staff, 2 guest laundries and the gift shop has everything you could possibly need at a very reasonable price! We are Disneyland annual pass holders and got the AP rate of $59.00 per night!

The walk is quite easy and Mimi's is directly across the road!:thumbsup2

We just stayed at HoJo's this past week. We had a Kids suite which was a great space and comfy beds, water play area was fantastic for the kids, the shop is good for basics too. we were on the top floor in building 1 and the noise from the freeway was pretty bad, also the top floor has a giant dome on top with sky lights which have no covers soo it was light in there day and night. If you are a light sleeper like me it was not good. I wouldn't want to be visiting the parks with kids from there. While the walk is not that far, after a day in the parks it would seem like miles! Mimi's next door and Millie s just further up are both good places to eat and have some what healthier choices!

Our first week in Anaheim to visit the parks we stayed at the Park Vue Inn, we had a two room suite and it was clean, comfy, free breaky and wifi and about as close as you can get from the parks. the only negative was that the aircon was rather noisy, as we had a two room suite we just left the one on in the other room and it was fine. Breakfast is nothing fancy but free and filling. I know reviews are up and down for this place andmaube it depends on what room you have, but we would stay here again.

We loved HoJo's! The service was fantastic. Like a previous poster, we had lots of questions before we arrived and their responses were always prompt, friendly and helpful.

We stayed in a Kid's Suite too. As long as you don't stay on the top floor it's really quiet. They haven't worked out how to soundproof the dome on top apparently, but the lower floors don't have that problem. Our room was spotless, and the bed was possibly the most comfortable I've ever slept on. The Kids' Suite is like two hotel rooms with a connecting door, but only one door to the corridor. The main room had a king size bed, tv, microwave, coffee maker (also suitable for tea and hot chocolate) and a bar fridge. The other room had bunks, a couch that I think may have folded out as well and a tv. Both rooms had an ensuite.

We stayed 5 nights and bought breakfast supplies in their shop - individual sealed cereal bowls, milk and fruit. We also bought bread and peanut butter there and self-catered our lunches which gave us more spending money for other things. (note: they don't supply plates/bowls/cutlery except for plastic cutlery to go with the cereal so we took a small picnic set)

We used the laundry every couple of days which was really useful.

The water playground was great, and there is also another regular pool.

We spent the mornings at Disneyland, came back for a swim and a rest after lunch and went back in the evenings. I believe there is a shuttle bus you can get, but we walked. It took less than 10 minutes and we always felt safe because it was such a busy road.

We ate at Mimi's a couple of nights and it was good, regular food at a reasonable price. Not quite home cooking, but the closest we found.

Have a fantastic holiday!

Jess

I'm looking at tacking on a few nights one side of our WDW trip. Have had a good look at hotel reviews and the Candy Cane is one that comes up as being pretty good for the $$ - we could stay there (booking a Disney package with park hoppers and extra openings) for half the price of the Disneyland Hotel. When "half price" means saving somewhere around $1300, I think I'm sold!

We stayed at Del sol inn location was great, wasn't noisy breakfast was average but we managed, we had a room that had a queen in one room and a queen and bunk bed in the other we would definitely stay there again it was great for the kids to have there own room we could go to sleep and they could watch TV.

Many have already given you great info. I agree with excited Sam. The family suites backing onto the freeway are large but re very very noisy. Now it depends on the people, some don't seem to hear it, somehow, and kids usually don't mind at all. But it is a major freeway, with large trucks passing all the time. As long as you are aware of this, before you go in. We had researched but no-one seemed to mention this major issue.

People seem to rave about Mimi's which right next to HOJO's, but we found it pretty ordinary and only ate there once.

The pool area is fun for kids. The walk isn't too bad, and if you have strollers, even easier, although from what others have said there are other places closer in that are not much more expensive.

I would probably look for rooms away from the freeway if I would stay there again.

Thanks everybody! We are really leaning toward HoJos now. Don't know if we will go the Kids Suite or just go with a normal room. We go camping often so are use to being swished in together :). I guess it will depend on finances at the time of booking.

Thanks for all the input!

The deluxe rooms in building 2 ( facing the quiet pool) are nice. They have a microwave and mini fridge, and 2 queen beds. Our room (well we actaully had 2 interconnecting rooms) was on the ground floor and we found it to be very quiet. On our visit prior to that we had stayed in building 1, 6th floor facing Disney. It was alot noisier.

we were at the desert inn & suites across from the disneyland pedestrian crosswalk. it was maybe 2 mins from the hotel to the entry to disneyland.

the rooms were huge, clean and comfortable. we got a family suite (2 x rooms, with 2 x queens in each, a full bathroom plus sink/counter area in the room, microwave, safe, fridge etc in each room). the colouring in the room is a little dark (brown patterned covers on the beds, dark carpeting) but still acceptable. breakfast was provided free but it was mostly cereal and donuts etc so we purchased our own individual cereals from the onsite convenience shop and drinks and just used that for our breakfasts.. we are not big sit down breakfast eaters.

as we don't have kids, we were only looking for clean, comfortable and close by, and the desert inn gave us all that for approx $149+tax per night for the 2 room suite. as the 2 room suite is classed as one room, you only pay the per night room rate, plus tax, rather than 2 x room rate + 2 x room tax which we much preferred :)

Alicia, we had the Desert Inn and Suites as our #1 for the location, price and space, but the high Sept temps this year have got us worried. The younger two definitely wont be able to swim by then, and even DS1 will only be six, so a shallow pool/water play area will be perfect. There are some great deals for the Desert Inn at times though....

Alicia, we had the Desert Inn and Suites as our #1 for the location, price and space, but the high Sept temps this year have got us worried. The younger two definitely wont be able to swim by then, and even DS1 will only be six, so a shallow pool/water play area will be perfect. There are some great deals for the Desert Inn at times though....

oh, if i had kids, i would most likely choose the hojo or candy cane inn for their great pool areas. the desert inn has an indoor pool that when we walked past smelt strongly of chlorine (this was first thing in the morning, ie 8am, so they may have just finished cleaning) and i much prefer an outdoor pool if i am going to use it. also, my understanding is hojo's have a kind of water playground, so it would be ideal for parents who may not want to get in the pool but want to be close to their little ones while in the water area... we are looking at going in sept next year too and the heat has me concerned.

i hate summer here in brisbane. the heat + humidity = blech! i have heard orlando is pretty comparable to a really hot summer's day. when we were there in november, it was barely tolerable :)

maybe i should push our trip to a november 2013 or february 2014 trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter