• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchairs and Buses at WDW

Vijoge

Seeing the World through their eyes. . .
I have a back injury that prevents me from walking long distances or standing for extended periods of time. I have my own wheelchair, which I'll be bringing on vacation and taking to the parks. Depending on my back/pain level I may be in the chair part of the day or it could be most of the day.

My question is this: When boarding Disney buses, can my DH just pick up my folded chair and carry it on the bus?

Yes, he can or you can remain in it and use the lift. The driver may have your husband use the back door to load it. Up to you. I would recommend staying in it and then transferring to a bus seat if you choose. Wheelchairs are loaded first before the other guests and you will have a seat. If you go through the regular line with the wheelchair and it is crowded you may not get a seat.

I always fold the chair with my son, and have him walk onto the bus. I figure he's capable of doing that, and that way we 1) don't take up one of the 2 wheelchair counts if there are others and 2) we don't take up the time to lower the ramp if there aren't others who need it and 3) we take up less space/seats.

A few times when the bus queues were big enough to accomodate him staying in the chair in the queue or it looked like he wouldn't have to stand to wait very long, I went thru the queue instead of going straight to the wheelchair waiting spot. Everytime the drivers have said to wait in the wheelchair spot, even if we are folding and walking on.

I feel bad about loading first when there were enough people there that we probably would have had to wait for a 2nd bus, so I mitigated it by noting who was as the end of the line when we got there, and not proceeding to the wheelchair spot until that person had boarded.

LisaB

I don't have an opinion for you (sorry). Just an observation (first encounter story).

The last time we were at WDW, we were witing in line for our bus and two ladies in ECVs got in line. When the bus pulls up, the driver opens the back door...not the front. I'm standing in line and watching..curious. The next thing I see, the bus tilts like Magic so the driver can load the two ECV (o.k., hydraulics, but don't ruin my magic). The only thing that comes to mind is: "This bus is just like the Night Bus on Harry Potter. It's Magic."

I know it is corny, but I thought that was the neatest thing I had seen my whole trip. I had no idea buses could do that.

And BTW I have no problem w/ someone with different abilities getting on the bus before me. Even if you just got there right after that bus pulled up. Even if that means I have to stand, b/c I can.

dbarker said:
I don't have an opinion for you (sorry). Just an observation (first encounter story).

The last time we were at WDW, we were witing in line for our bus and two ladies in ECVs got in line. When the bus pulls up, the driver opens the back door...not the front. I'm standing in line and watching..curious. The next thing I see, the bus tilts like Magic so the driver can load the two ECV (o.k., hydraulics, but don't ruin my magic). The only thing that comes to mind is: "This bus is just like the Night Bus on Harry Potter. It's Magic."

I know it is corny, but I thought that was the neatest thing I had seen my whole trip. I had no idea buses could do that.

And BTW I have no problem w/ someone with different abilities getting on the bus before me. Even if you just got there right after that bus pulled up. Even if that means I have to stand, b/c I can.
It is kind of amazing the first time you see it.
It's called "Kneeling" and some of the new buses can kneel.

Our van kneels, which sometimes gets us some surprised stares when we let the ramp down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter