When and how will Disney respond to Epic Universe?

I agree. Disney should go back to heavily themed story driven dark rides. Stop adding thrills.
I agree about the dark rides but the public does also want a more "grown up" feel these days it seems at Disney. That must be a hard thing to balance between catering to the youth with more lower height restriction (or no height restriction) attractions while attracting the ones wanting more to their attractions.

That's a little too late for Disney considering Pandora and Galaxy's Edge were 100% responses to the Wizarding World.
Idk, I thought "Harry Potter World" was basically 1 ride when Galaxy's Edge and Pandora were in the planning stages.

One could easily argue that the whole expansion of Harry Potter into what it is now was a response to these 2 worlds being planned at WDW. Or that the initial creation of Universal Studios Florida in the 1990s was itself a response to WDW.

Idk, I thought "Harry Potter World" was basically 1 ride when Galaxy's Edge and Pandora were in the planning stages.

One could easily argue that the whole expansion of Harry Potter into what it is now was a response to these 2 worlds being planned at WDW. Or that the initial creation of Universal Studios Florida in the 1990s was itself a response to WDW.
Wizarding World was publically announced in the summer of 2007 and opened in 2010. The first Avatar movie wasn't even out yet when Wizarding World was being planned nor did Disney own Star Wars. Disney actually tried to get the theme park rights to Harry Potter but JK Rowling did not like what Disney planned for the IP so she went with Universal instead.

What are you talking about?

Harry Potter Hogsmeade (in Islands of Adventure) was announced in 2007, opened in summer 2010. There was Forbidden Journey, Dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff. As well as Three Broomsticks restaurant.

Harry Potter Diagon Alley (in Studios) was announced in spring 2013 and opened in summer 2014 with Gringotts, Hogwarts Express as well as Leaky Cauldron restaurant.

Avatar came out in 2009 2 years after Harry Potter themed area was announced for WDW Universal and a theme park attraction deal announced in fall of 2011 opening about 6 1/2 years later. Galaxy's Edge was announced 2 years after the second land of Harry Potter was announced.

Have you been to Universal? Have you gone to Universal prior to 2017?

ETA: correction

Last edited:

you can’t easily argue that because the time line doesn’t fit and you have it backwards. Wizarding World came before Pandora and Galaxys Edge.

...personally, I think that WDW hasn't come up with anything creative/"wow" factor-worthy since FoP, and that includes GotG ad Tron.

Oh I totally missed the part about Universal Orlando but the reason Hollywood Studios exists was a response to that park opening. That's why it was semi rushed to open in 1989 and Universal Orlando opened in 1990.

...personally, I think that WDW hasn't come up with anything creative/"wow" factor-worthy since FoP, and that includes GotG ad Tron.
I think Guardians is usually considered a pumped up Space Mountain. It's a cool attraction but it still largely Space Mountain with added music and having been on it during Previews where it stopped halfway through yeah it's Space Mountain there. My husband does love it though and it's his fav ride at Disney presently speaking.

Tron I think has some wow factors to it but many complain about the shortness to it (I haven't been able to ride it yet). And the lights/ambience at night is awesome at least from the pics.

That said FOP was/is really really cool but in some ways is like a pumped up Soarin'. It does have innovativeness to it with how the ride vehicle with the 3D aspect to it is quite immersive, sitting the way you do combined with how it works makes you feel story.

Doesn't mean Disney hasn't been using creative aspects to their rides but I def. see built upon similarities to their attractions. I'm still very glad they did Pandora and it's one of my fav areas (plus Satu'li Canteen is really good QS) at any Disney park and I know my husband really loves Guardians (though I still miss Ellen :sad1: ).

Does Disney completely ignoring Universal count as responding?
Yes.

And that may well be the option they choose - more or less.

Though I imagine WDW will - at least- come up with a new cupcake and a popcorn bucket or two.

I think Guardians is usually considered a pumped up Space Mountain. It's a cool attraction but it still largely Space Mountain with added music and having been on it during Previews where it stopped halfway through yeah it's Space Mountain there. My husband does love it though and it's his fav ride at Disney presently speaking.

Tron I think has some wow factors to it but many complain about the shortness to it (I haven't been able to ride it yet). And the lights/ambience at night is awesome at least from the pics.

That said FOP was/is really really cool but in some ways is like a pumped up Soarin'. It does have innovativeness to it with how the ride vehicle with the 3D aspect to it is quite immersive, sitting the way you do combined with how it works makes you feel story.

Doesn't mean Disney hasn't been using creative aspects to their rides but I def. see built upon similarities to their attractions. I'm still very glad they did Pandora and it's one of my fav areas (plus Satu'li Canteen is really good QS) at any Disney park and I know my husband really loves Guardians (though I still miss Ellen :sad1: ).
I'm much inclined to say GoG is a considerably better and more innovative ride than Tron.

GoG is considerably different from Space Mtn.

Tron is not just short, but also missing much of a story. We are supposed to be playing a game, but there is no game (or not one we are actually playing). If you hold your arms out like Superman though, that does make it a bit more fun.

I think a key to enjoying GoG is getting into the music. The preshow is also fun and captures some of the humor of the IP. One of the fun scenes of the GoG movies is the opening scene of GoG2, when Groot is dancing to Mr. Blue Sky. IMO, the ride captures that same humor/fun.

I'm with you on FoP.

Universal also had some sameness for a while.

GoG is considerably different from Space Mtn.
I agree with your other thoughts but not on this one :blush:

It's really just Space Mountain 2.0 and that's not to knock it but that's what it is. It's what the general consensus was too when it opened. The track is fairly similar too (watch some videos with the lights on for Space and Guardians). It goes more than twice as fast as Space Mountain and the usage of the screen and ride vehicle rotating (which has been said to be similar to another Disney attraction) along with the changing music tracks make it feel different when you're on it but it's very similar to Space Mountain. I was just agreeing with the other poster in terms of creativeness.

Like I said it's my husband's fav ride at Disney so I'm not trying to downplay how much people can enjoy the attraction :flower3:

I have no idea how Disney will respond although their efforts in recent years have not been stellar. I did a 2 week stay at Disney last year to reconnoitre ahead of a major family holiday. I had last stayed 20 years before that.

I absolutely hated all the shennanigans with booking parks and G+ and all the different ride access methods such as ILL. I felt I was being ripped off at every opportunity. I noted that the food had not improved either and whilst most CM were fantastic - not all were.

I popped up to Universal and managed to enjoy both parks in one day with Express Path. My friend hated the amount of noise and "spining" rides at Universal.

My conclusion is that whilst I was previously planning 14 days at WDW, I will now do 5 days at Universal when Epic opens with Express Paths included in the hotel cost. And then 9 days at WDW. The Disney execs will have to do the math on what that will have cost them.

I think when Epic Universe opens in 2025 I think it will make Walt Disney World lose some visitors because when you look at Universal Studios they have always gotten the stuff that Disney parks should've gotten. Take for instance Disney launched Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and Disney has Marvel and Avatar rides while at Universal Studios they focus on Harry Potter Jurassic Park Nintendo characters and The Simpsons and they focus on Marvel too with Marvel Superhero Island which is why Disney Hollywood Studios will never ever have a Florida answer with their own Avengers Campus. But when you look at the general picture Epic Universe will BE the number one theme park second to Disney Parks when it opens. Because when you stick Nintendo characters and Universal characters and create a whole new world designed into a theme park sometimes the results do work while other times it doesn't seem like a great idea. But I think when they announce the big thrill ride at Epic Universe people will come and Disney Parks audience will be weak and get more weaker once Epic Universe opens

But when you look at the general picture Epic Universe will BE the number one theme park second to Disney Parks when it opens.
Are you sure this is what you wanted to say?

Epic definitely will be the most exciting thing at Orlando next year. I'm planning to spend a week there, hopefully during the first month of the opening. It absolutely will not decrease any of my Disney days though. Just as you said, Universal has Harry Potter while Disney has Avatar. Their attractions are so different that they're not interchangeable. I don't have the dilemma of choosing one over another.

Are you sure this is what you wanted to say?

Epic definitely will be the most exciting thing at Orlando next year. I'm planning to spend a week there, hopefully during the first month of the opening. It absolutely will not decrease any of my Disney days though. Just as you said, Universal has Harry Potter while Disney has Avatar. Their attractions are so different that they're not interchangeable. I don't have the dilemma of choosing one over another.
I agree, I don’t think EU will have much impact on Disney crowds.

Even if it did initially, the low crowd experience at Disney would become desirable, and it would soon correct itself.

And, I agree they largely pull different audiences.

Yes, a few reports on "empty" parks will immediately result in congestion everywhere.
Maybe.

I've been to WDW and regional amusement parks when they were empty, and I found the experience to be a bit unnerving, especially at night. The empty queues scream, "LEAVE NOW!"

Didn't some make a horror movie like that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter