When did you let your kids get their drivers license? (Not learners permit)

When did your kids get their drivers license?

Votes: 63 70.8%

Votes: 18 20.2%

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 19+

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
4 kids--between 16 and 16.5 depending on the kid.

A couple weren't quite ready at 16. And the other 2 probably could have waited and matured a little.

But dh especially wanted them to drive as much on there own before we sent them off to college. The 2 that did not wait have both had accidents-their fault.

All have a lead foot- I fussed at DH that his lead foot was a bad example.

I have to say though, it's amazing the freedom and all the time I have again to myself after carting kids everywhere for 20 plus years. And dd17 has to keep her own calendar. I am not doing that for anyone but myself! So liberating!

Last edited:
Both of our kids got their licences at 16. For me, it was mostly about them having more years to practice before leaving home.
My thoughts run similar to yours. I wanted them to have their licenses while they were still living at home and I had more control over their driving. I could say no when the weather was bad or when they wanted to drive somewhere I thought was too far away /too much traffic for their experience level.

A couple of my friends wouldn't let their kids get their licenses, saying it was unnecessary while they were living at home and insurance cost too much; however, they didn't think this through. Once those kids headed out to college, they didn't get any new driving experience ... and at some point they needed to drive to school /to college internships /etc. ... and they had very little solo driving experience.
I never realized some states were older than 16!
Some states allow for driver's licenses younger than 16 ... in emergency situations. My uncle was in such a situation: both he and his wife had some medical issues /his license was temporarily suspended (did you know doctors can have your license taken?) and his wife technically had a license but wasn't able to drive. He considered allowing his young teen son to get an emergency license /allowing him to drive only under his father's supervision ... but he decided his son /my cousin just wasn't mature enough.
My daughter is 17 and I still haven’t allowed her to get her license. Her grades are awful and she doesn’t have the maturity to handle driving IMO. Once she is 18 she can get her license on her own as long as she is willing to take on all the costs.
Good for you. Don't cave to pressure. A license is a big responsibility, and if she isn't ready, only bad can come from it.

Whatever the age is in Florida, 16 I think. Can't remember exactly. They had no bus service to school so it was nice when they were able to drive themselves.

We only have government issued insurance. Age is not a factor at all in rates.
Both are getting licenses at 16.

Yes, in New Jersey it was 17, at least when I was younger there. You could get your permit on your 17th birthday. I don't know if there was a minimum wait time until you could get a full license. I got my permit a few days after I turned 17, practiced with my father, and had my license within two months.

In NJ now, permits are allowed at 16, Cinderella licenses at 17, at age 18 an unrestricted license but "portrait" orientation to indicate under 21, then regular "landscape" license at 21. Don't get me started on the stupid red stickers.

My son is about to turn 16 next week and he has already been informed that he will not be allowed to take the test for his license until he has a job. Sadly, I can't afford the huge jump in insurance premiums on my own and it doesn't look like his dad is going to contribute so it falls to my son to help out. I don't necessarily think that's a terrible thing, even though I do feel guilty about it. I think it's a great lesson in taking responsibility for himself. We already have a little bit of money set aside to buy him a car and I don't care when he takes the test, as long as he is able to help pay the insurance.

In NJ now, permits are allowed at 16, Cinderella licenses at 17, at age 18 an unrestricted license but "portrait" orientation to indicate under 21, then regular "landscape" license at 21. Don't get me started on the stupid red stickers.

Lifelong NJ resident and, if recalling correctly, we had permits at 16 or 16.5 and licenses at 17. Everyone wanting that birthday appt for the road test. Back in my day, we had drivers ed in HS, complete with simulators, on the road practice, too. I was also in the group of drinking age at 18. We only used the red decals when DS26 was going for his license.

As for DS26 driving, he had drivers ed in school his sophomore year and got his permit, so license was at 17 when eligible.

Last edited:

My son didn't get his learner's permit until he was almost 18 - after he'd already graduated high school. The law requires a person to have a learner's for at least 12 months before road-testing for a license. It took him 3 tries - he was 19 when he finally became licensed.

Lifelong NJ resident and, if recalling correctly, we had permits at 16 or 16.5 and licenses at 17. Everyone wanting that birthday appt for the road test. Back in my day, we had drivers ed in HS, complete with simulators, on the road practice, too. I was also in the group of drinking age at 18. We only used the red decals when DS26 was going for his license.
Same NJ age group here . I didn't do the HS Drivers Ed. Got my permit a few days after my 17th birthday and the license about 6 weeks later. And yes I too was part of the 18 to drink group. Remember on my 21st my family going to our favorite South Philly pizza place & I could get a beer with our meal.

Daughter turned 15 in Sept and still hasn't even taken the test to get her permit. We have an extra car and I'm totally onboard with her getting her license at 16 but she is in no hurry.

My friend's daughter didn't get her license until 18 because she had no desire to get it. I just don't get it; I couldn't wait to drive.

Oldest DD got her permit on her 16th birthday—first day she was eligible and took her test for her license on the 6th month anniversary of getting her permit which was the first day she was eligible to take the test. We are in PA. Middle Dd turns 16 in October and I think she will follow a similar path.

A few months after he turned 15.

We live in ND where you can get your license at 15 if you have had your permit for a year and taken drivers ed.

In South Dakota kids can get their permit at 14 and 6 months later get a restricted license. With a restricted they can drive solo between certain hours. My oldest turns 14 this year and is counting the days

Yes, I'm sure it has changed since 1978 when I got my license. As far as I remember, there were no provisional or probationary licenses in NJ then. I was fully licensed with no restrictions at about age 17 and 2 months. And of course no photos on the licenses then either.

(My parents attempted to enforce some restrictions. Don't drive too far away. No late late night driving, etc. I never stayed out too late, but the car "may" have made it down the shore a few times. :beach:)

We only have government issued insurance. Age is not a factor at all in rates.
Both are getting licenses at 16.

Same for us. Kids all got there licenses within the first couple of weeks after turning 16, depending on the day they could book the tests. We live rurally so tests only happen in certain communities on certain days.

This thread is interesting as I have never heard of parents not allowing their kids to get their license at 16. When I was a kid everyone got their license at 16, it was a right of passage. Not everyone had cars but we all were able to drive if needed. I’ll have to ask my friends that have older kids What they did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter