• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do you decide you have enough DVC points?

Hey all, thanks for all the input… how do you all rent out points? What services do you use, how easy is it?
I started by renting out to David's Rental, but then I switched to posting here on the rental board, and now I have a couple of renters who rent regularly from me, so I haven't had a need to post for rentals in a while.

I do one of those things everyone tells you is a bad idea, and if you are doing it PURELY on the numbers perspective, I don't disagree - which is renting to cover our dues expenses most years. Our purchase plan was to make so that in later years - when we are doing less big trips - we didn't have to worry about needing to downsize if our expenses change, but could cover dues via renting, but still have enough points to do the trips we knew we really wanted to do. Right now, we don't actually need to do this, so when we do rent, it either goes into a savings account for future years dues, or we use it to pay for other vacations (like Starcruiser hotel next year, and Mediterranean Cruise next summer). When son #2 goes to college in a few years, it may be used towards college expenses. :)

Of course, next year we are probably going to use most of our points for our trips, as we have some big trips planned, and we're spoiling ourselves a little bit with larger accommodations for those family/friends trips. :)

Ultimately, I feel like if someone can’t afford the annual dues or the cost of going to Disney…it’s time to downsize in points.

We have 200 direct RIV and it was enough for us, but we picked up Vero Beach resale (subsidized), because it was a good deal and would cover our 4-5 nights at the beach.

I’d like a few more points, but we’re currently replenishing our savings from these DVC purchases.

I've only bought DVC a few years ago but I bought Marriott 20 years ago ... for me, I needed more points when it was a hassle to trade or I kept saying things would be a lot better if we just had X more points. You know you have too much when you are stressed about how to spend your points after you keep banking them year after year -- though with DVC renting out excess points is a better deal than renting out Marriott VC points.

Thanks all for all the input, it really helps me think through my own criteria to buy or not buy more. I think I have decided another 100 points will be helpful. It will allow me to have at least a trip every 2 months less all year long. I think that will keep me sane. :)

How do you all decide when to stop buying DVCs

full

We haven't bought more points since 2019 so I guess that's a sign? That said - we have had some life changes (mom passed away, sister's family grew by twins), and we are the only ones who are really able to subsidize any vacations. So I'm somewhat itching for more points. That said, my sister's family isn't super interested in Disney World (or even DL and they're on the West Coast). My dad is 81 and still wants to join us, so for the next few years we are just a little too big for a 2br for all of us.

We haven't yet had to borrow but that's also because our girls still claim a 2br is "too big" if grandad isn't sharing a room with them. They are fine sleeping in the living room but prefer a studio (!!!). But I expect that will change in a few years as our oldest becomes a teen.

We also did just move and do a renovation, so we are watching costs a little...

Reasons to add on (for us):
1. VGC. We love it, and my sister lives in SoCal. We tacked on a couple days there last April - I could see making an every-other-year trip to CA in the future. Not sure how compelling DLT is to us, but also not writing it off altogether.
2. We bought thinking we'd take our bigger trips in the summer. Turns out we love WDW at Christmas/New Years. We have enough points altogether to "save" VGF points for Christmas, but my ideal trip would be Christmas at VGF and New Year's at Riviera. In addition to a few days at Riviera any time we go, because we love the EP/HS area. We have enough Riviera points to do multiple short stays in a studio and occasionally a 1br, but would love to have family there in a 2br or larger. #dreamBIG LOL.
3. Someday we will retire, and probably use our points for more shorter stays just us. But before we do that, we will probably have at least a few trips where our girls will want to bring a BFF. Last August 3 other families happened to be at WDW when we were there. We met up here and there, but it was really hard to coordinate/get together. It would have been easier if their friends could "sleep over" for some of the trip.

Re: renting out points to pay dues - we always said this could be a way to offset costs especially if we didn't use all our points. But we just keep finding ways to use our points. We have used the R/T board here when it turns out we couldn't use our points - it's gone smoothly and quickly, but still just easier to use our points. :)

Last edited:

I've been thinking I need (WANT) more BCV points, and will keep close watch on BCV resale prices into 2023.
That said, I had my first cause for pause this year, when the MF increases were posted at a whopping 9% increase for me!
I hope that's an anomaly for, if it continues to increase by that large of a percentage going forward, then I might be at my maximum point level.

I've been thinking I need (WANT) more BCV points, and will keep close watch on BCV resale prices into 2023.
That said, I had my first cause for pause this year, when the MF increases were posted at a whopping 9% increase for me!
I hope that's an anomaly for, if it continues to increase by that large of a percentage going forward, then I might be at my maximum point level.
Yes. There is a different between "need" and "want" that often gets overlooked on these boards. I am guilty of the same. :)
Riviera prices keep not going where I thought they would go, so we are on pause for a while. Let's see what happens with DLT, what that does to VGC prices, how we like AUL next spring, etc. :bored:

I just purchased a VGF direct sale 200 point contract and I already feel like I need more points...looking to get a resale at RIV or SSR

I just purchased a VGF direct sale 200 point contract and I already feel like I need more points...looking to get a resale at RIV or SSR
Our first VGF contract was 200 points (resale) and when our first studio stay during Easter break was 195 points ... we added more points at VGF. Christmas week is a shocker, especially in anything larger than a studio, but it is so magical that we save our VGF points for a 1br that week....

Yeah those point charts are high. We contemplated getting a 150 or 175 point direct VGF contract for an every other year trip to VFG to go along with our 360 at BCV.
I'm jealous of your BCV Points!
Had I known in 2010 what I know now (thanks mostly to the pros here on the DISboards) I would have bought some BCV, instead of loading up more heavily on SSR.
I sometimes have a dream that I find someone so in love with SSR that they're willing to trade me BCV points for SSR :earboy2:

We got to 815 and it was too much. The dues were a killer. We also decided that we don’t enjoy the parks like we used to - we like to cruise now. We have sold everything but one 270 point BWV contract. Will probably sell it in a few years and be out of the DVC business entirely.
I'm curious: How many years use did you get out of DVC?
& Was it strictly the MF burden on that many points, or did other things impact your reduction ??

I'm curious: How many years use did you get out of DVC?
& Was it strictly the MF burden on that many points, or did other things impact your reduction ??
We purchased most of our points in 2008 and started selling in 2018. We sold all but the BWV contract by 2021. So 10 years of 800+ points. My boys are in their 20’s with real jobs and scheduled vacations - we couldn’t visit the 4 weeks per year like we used to when they were growing up. They also are very good with a long weekend at Disney every couple years.

When we sold, our dues were reaching $5000 per year. We could pay it, but didn’t want to anymore. We would rather put that money toward Disney cruises. We enjoyed our dvc immensely when our boys were growing up. It was a very good investment for us for a lot of years. Just not anymore!

I'm jealous of your BCV Points!
Had I known in 2010 what I know now (thanks mostly to the pros here on the DISboards) I would have bought some BCV, instead of loading up more heavily on SSR.
I sometimes have a dream that I find someone so in love with SSR that they're willing to trade me BCV points for SSR :earboy2:
I will in a few years… say 2041 or so?

The beach club points aren’t the most fiscally responsible choice but we love Epcot and walking to the world showcase.

The beach club points aren’t the most fiscally responsible choice but we love Epcot and walking to the world showcase.
We bought and closed on BLT, our first home resort (and had stayed there the year before, for "research") and when we checked in to BCV 6 months later, on rented points, DH came running back to the room exclaiming that we needed to immediately sell our BLT points and buy BCV. "Right away! Have you seen the pool!?!?"

Since then, we have successfully traded to BCV at 7 mo on 2 occasions and stalking+WL at about 3 months. We very much enjoy SAB and BCV especially now that both kids like the slide, but DH is also not constantly wanting to stay there. I think the only points we'd really use to trade in to BCV are BLT points, and even then only if we haven't recently stayed in the EP/HS area. It's a good mix.

(I think I'd feel differently if we'd bought BCV before 2016/2017, when you could get a contract for around $100-$110 pp - then I'd be all about renting those out when I wanted to stay elsewhere! LOL)

It all depends on what you want to do.

Right now I have enough points to stay where I want to stay, when I want to stay, for all of my vacation time.

I also have enough additional points (some call them sleeping around points) to take my 4 day weekends in the winter and get away when I want or rent them....

When If I add Poly tower points, I will be able to upgrade views if or rent more points out....

Some people think:

"its just a room and were are never in it". These people tend to want smaller rooms and are happy with few points

Some people think " I want to be able to enjoy my resort and view from my room" These people tend to want large rooms and well the better view are more points....

So there is that difference

I would stay the people who dies with the most points wins, other would say is broke .....

either way

You should have enough points that you:

Can go when you want, and at an experience level you enjoy,

Aren't losing points every year,

Are making money (maybe breaking even) on the points you have to rent if you can use them,

Can comfortably make your payments. (loans dues)

If you can do all of those and you want more points well clearly you need to but more.

And if other have not said it..... Multiple use years is not ideal, try to stick with one use year if possible

We've been DVC members since 2010. We bought 300 VGC points direct when our three kids were 5, 3 and 18 months. We added on ten years later 270 AUL points resale. We have enjoyed our points to vacation at VGC and Aulani countless times. We have also been fortunate to upgrade our room to bring along my parents and send my brothers and their families to Aulani numerous times.

We are finally going to WDW for the first time next summer before our RC cruise. This will be our first time on a non-Disney cruise so it will be great to have some Disney experience before we board ship.

We bought our DVC points at resorts where we want to always visit so we will have these points for a very long time, even after the kids move on out of the house. We may even buy more DVC points depending on how we like WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter